Ok - where we goin' this weekend? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2002, 05:26 AM

Ok - where we goin' this weekend?

All right - let's see - it really looks like the Fat Lady is gettin' ready to sing soon. Anyone up for a mini-clave somewhere south of southern NH - I got a feeling the Fat Lady had sung up there in Hampton.

It looks like I might be able to get a pass for the whole weekend. The weather doesn't look ideal, but I'm thinking up in one of them thar salt ponds.

What's everyone else thinking?

TL,

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2002, 05:37 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

South side (Nantucket Sound) should be good during
moving tides just about anywhere if the migration is going and the bunker is around. Hit or miss but the hits can be big this time of year.

Bayside has a lot of fish, boat would be best to chase them under the birds.

Nauset should be getting some big fish coming thru now, and Chatham Inlet if you have oversand access.

Low tide at dawn would always get me to big girl even though she's been playing hard to get lately.

I always enjoy a walk down the inside of South Beach on this tide, if the bait gets pushed into the tub there will be some very good fall fish eating it.

Race Pt in October - great bet.

Hardtails still around in South County, have to be.

CT sounds pretty good lately.

Just a matter of getting out and pounding the beach!
Old 10-17-2002, 07:34 AM
Jonesin...

South County...

Dave,
I also have a weekend pass and am planning on chasing some hardtails in South County during the day and hopefully finding some bass at night. Let me know if you are coming down.

Sean
Old 10-17-2002, 11:04 AM
Wanna be striper bum

Sean,

Got your PM and I am trying to shift plans in order to get out on Saturday morning.

I am a maybe at this point.

I will give you a call.

One problem is this guy at work who has been consistently catching trout (some big ones too) in a nearby NH stream. Lots of bang for my traveling buck.

We shall see...

-Mike
Old 10-17-2002, 11:06 AM
BB5 Survivor

Nauset got canceled, so Rhody on Sunday it is!!

--j

Last edited by jared; 10-17-2002 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:19 PM

Sunday in Rhode Island for me.
No doubt there are speedsters in residence, big question is water clarity. This past Monday the water was still very cloudy. Albies were outside Weekapoug but wouldn't come in despite tons of bait. Last night's blow may have dirtied things up even worse.

The good news is I've already made the mental adjustment which restores the striped bass to its rightful place at the top of the New England inshore hierarchy.
Fast fish are like fast women. They can blind you with infatuation, cause you to lose sight of your priorities, and lead to irrational behavior. When all is said and done however, they're gone before you know it and you've got nothing to show for your efforts but some spicey memories.
It's good to know that there is a reliable, consistent, albeit unglamorous alternative to fall back on. You always know where there gonna be, what they're gonna be doing, how they're gonna respond. They won't get you all Jacked Up, then leave you high and dry, unfufilled, frustrated.

OK, yes, well...what were we talking about?
OH YA! Stripers!
Take my advice gentlemen, get 'em while they're hot! Now's the best time of year for that once in a life time fish. Even if you don't get that, there're sure to be some memorable tides and cold, crisp beautiful nights. And the fish will cooperate!
Let me leave you with this image:
Ok, so we've all seen the huge clouds of peanut bunker just about everywhere this season. They're starting to drain out of the ponds and rivers and bays to begin their journey south. Just imagine some of those big bait balls pushed up into the rocks by a South Wind and dropping tide on a dark night with just the right amount of clean white water. OH BABY! There ain't anything else you need to keep you warm this winter but the memory of a night like that!
Old 10-17-2002, 02:52 PM
BB5 Survivor

mike --

I hear ya man! Have had some epic post-midnight/pre-dawn forays down there...but one can also have awesome blitzes all day-long too!!

Ya gotta love Fall fishing in RI....looking forward to Sunday!

-j
Old 10-17-2002, 08:25 PM

Cool I'm still alive

Going out tomorrow. Lately it has been extremely rough The tides yesterday were so high that Watch Hill Beach was under water. The marina where my son keeps his boat the water was up the driveway, and the docks were underwater, my son had his door in the transom battered with the southwest breeze, 50 mph. :eyecrazy: Tomorrow looks to be a good day, a break in the weather, maybe wind and rain Saturday. Will let you know how if the water is clearing, or not. All I know if you plan on certain weather it always changes. Tomorrow the wind is to increase to 15 to 20 knots with it in the northwest. Seas should be light close to shore.:hehe:
Old 10-18-2002, 01:40 AM
CantAnchorUs

The wind is supposed to be N/W so it shouldn`t dirty the water any more and with 2 days to clean up it may be good enough. I just don`t seem to have the drive to hunt deer anymore, at least not like I used to, I can wait till next week in NY and then the muzzeloader opens in RI. Mike you must be phsycic, your comparison to fast women is right on the money. These hardtails are more addictive than drugs. I need one more. Morning rise at Weekapaug or West Wall, hard call, but I`ll be around for sure.
Slinger
Old 10-18-2002, 04:25 AM
Middle Aged Member

Sure would be nice to get to RI but don't think its going to happen. My best chance to wet a line will be to sneak away from yard and house chores for a couple of hours. May try for some extended fishin time Sunday. Anyone going to be fishing on the Cape?
Old 10-18-2002, 05:38 AM

Talking

From what I have seen on the net Beverly looks promising. The Bayside looks good also. We'll see what develops. That's fall fishing , you got to keep mobile. Fishhawk
Old 10-18-2002, 08:28 AM
Fluff

Quote:
Originally posted by FishHawk
From what I have seen on the net Beverly looks promising. The Bayside looks good also. We'll see what develops. That's fall fishing , you got to keep mobile. Fishhawk
Hope you Weekapaug and South County guys do well. Anybody fishing the North Shore, with reports of bait being held against the Beverly/Manchester/Magnolia shoreline of late, when you're steaming across to fish behind Tinkers and on to Devereux Beach, wave a hearty 'HI' to me - I'll have a paintbrush in one hand and a paperhanger's brush in the other

Hope you all do well.
Old 10-18-2002, 08:33 AM
Fly chucker

Dave, I'm glad to see that I won't be the only one stuck with a paintbrush this weekend.

What's that saying? Oh yeah, misery loves company.
Old 10-18-2002, 08:35 AM
_

Re: Ok - where we goin' this weekend?

Quote:
Originally posted by fliboy
Anyone up for a mini-clave somewhere south of southern NH - I got a feeling the Fat Lady had sung up there in Hampton.
Dave,

Yesterday I spoke to a guy from NH who says there are still fish up there. He said that the hot fly is blue bucktail over white bucktail with no body (i.e., wing only). I didn't get any other details since I wasn't planning to fish NH anytime soon.

As for this weekend, I would still like a chance to get a hardtail on the fly rod. They have eluded me so far this season, except for a couple of "almosts". I may have to give Rhody another try on Sunday.

Q
Old 10-18-2002, 08:59 AM
Fluff

WAAAAAAAAHHHH, WAHA WAHA WAHA WAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH !!!! (There - in lieu of a crying face like Fred Evans wants, that's my closest impression )

Mark - I'm donating free contract labor; this isn't even my own digs

The funny thing is, just this morning before leaving for work, I heard "...I'm looking forward to a weekend when we don't have something to do"

I don't think that happens until after the New Year

Last edited by DFix; 10-18-2002 at 09:02 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.