O.k. - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2002, 04:52 PM

O.k.

JOE, what have you been up to, havent seen anything for a while.you MUST be doing something. come on give it up show us.
"GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2002, 09:23 PM

Re: O.k.

Quote:
Originally posted by saltydog
JOE, what have you been up to, havent seen anything for a while.you MUST be doing something. come on give it up show us.
"GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN"
Saltydog
Lately i have been involved with a fly swap on Reel Time , i haven,t been posting many of my flies on this board, because I don,t believe there is much interest , till probably after the fishing season,
I have quite a few flies that I would love to post on this board, but till there is some interest, i will hold off till then.
Joe
Old 10-16-2002, 08:42 AM
President of CAC

Joe, as you know I always give my honest opinion. I have looked at the other boards and we post the most pictures than both of the others. I certainly don't expect everyone to reply to a fly tying board and I don't post my pictures necessarily for all the members to look at...only those who are interested will look. I tied 120 bone fish flies last winter , posted them all with pictures ,and even today there is a small audience..but it did not stop me from posting...My purpose was to build up our fly archive... In fact , right now two members of the board are working on a new archive for this board.. a reference mechanism.. I have seen it and it will be state of the art. We have our share of fly swaps as well..mostly off season for us here in the notheast.. but we also have a steelhead fly swap, which was last year...I don't see that on the other boards...nor a trout fly swap, or a salmon fly swap. So, if anything, I would say our board has as much interest if not more than the other two web sites.. just my opinion. By the way, with Bob Pink as the moderator on one of the boards, you could not have a more dedicated tyer than him...he gave me my first lesson two years ago and a great fishing partner.

Last edited by striblue; 10-16-2002 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:01 AM

I think there is more interest than you guys think.

The "other board" doesn't hold a candle to the library of original and classic patterns listed here.

I'm always over here checking out the new patterns but because I don't have a digital camera I don't post any of my own. I look at this part of the board more as a library where I can reference patterns and get ideas for new ones. There's really not a lot to say aside from "nice fly" which can be redundant after a while.

Anyway, hang in there guys. I'm asking for a digital camera for christmas so I can get some freshwater patterns up and running.

Your work does not go unnoticed.

BigDave
Old 10-16-2002, 11:58 AM

Joe, often I don't comment on flies posted here. Please do not take my lack of comments as disinterest. I find inspiration in every fly that is posted.
Old 10-16-2002, 02:22 PM

I look at most of the patterns posted but donot necessarily comment on them. Post them up would love to see them. I will be posting more this winter as I just purchased a digital camera this weekend.

Its a new toy to play with in my favorite hobby when my realtor wife does not need it.

Now I just have to get Fred E. to use one so he can divulge more of his secret steelhead patterns. :hehe:
Old 10-16-2002, 02:57 PM

Talking

JOE, Ive been tyin for some 30 years an still LOVE to see all the flys being posted. I also don't say to much about them, I do every now an then. we need guys to post there creations.so we can come up with new insite for new flys to tie. I believe everyone love to see NEW an OLD flys.now that I know how to post Ill be posting as much as I can, when I can. so when your ready Ill be lookin.
"GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN"
how about this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	babby deer hair flounder.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	935  
Old 10-16-2002, 10:17 PM

ok

Guy's
I agree with every thng you say, this is my favorite board and i owe a lot to some members that took me by the hand and got me on the right track.
I guess I did not realize that not every one owns a digital camera, have I been more observant I would have noticed the number of views to each post.
So I will continue posting the few fly pictures that I have .
This past weekend at our local Sporting Outlet I was very fortunate to watch Rich Murphy demonstrate his incridable (sp) tying skills. he showed me and others how he tied his , silver fish,and I'm not sure if thats what he calls it, and his latestest crab fly I was lucky as he gave me one of each, I will post apicture of the silver fish but i am having trouble tying his crap fly, I can't for the life of me cut out a top shell(don't now the name of that part of the crabs body), I checked with Hunter's on there Cutter' but I can' afford it $45.00.
Joe
Old 10-17-2002, 11:43 AM
Fluff

Joe, I've also complimented you on your work in the past. Keep it coming. I don't have a digital camera or a lot of time to tie. I appreciate your efforts.

To the crab thing. Why don't you just look up a green crab or blue crab right here, in the Internet, and copy a picture to use as a pattern. One of the neat materials to use for crab bodies, outside of feathers and hair, is colored bonded craft felt, both the soft kind that belongs under the lamp base and also a more rigid woven type. The soft stuff could be bonded to a wire or monofilament shell 'frame'; the rigid stuff can be cut and used without a frame.

Rich Murphy does a really neat crab (fluff, just in case he's reading this ) with Joe Blados' crease foam. Similar dense, closed cell foam product can be had from the craft stores. It is easily cut out with a X-Acto knife or scissor along your drawn or traced pattern lines. You can glue dense craft foam together with several things.

We did a lengthy discussion on this within the past year; perhaps check the archived threads or search crab patterns and such. Maybe Dble Haul will refresh my memory, as we talked about it at length.

Anyway, keep tying. We all enjoy your work.
Old 10-17-2002, 02:45 PM

JOE, if your looking for STUFF to tie crab flies w/ a friend of mine gave me some of the stick on pads they use to put onthe BOTTOM of chairs so they don't scratch the wood floors neat stuff
havent used it yet but will do shoud make a nice crab
"GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN"
Old 10-17-2002, 02:54 PM
Fluff

Rich, the chair leg pads still need a waterproof glue. Aquaseal, two hour two ton epoxy, whatever. The tacky surface doesn't last forever, and if superglue is used, it eventually gets brittle and doesn't work anymore.

Joe, Rich has a good idea - Home Depot, WallyWorld, wherever you can pick up the felt pads. Frankly, I'd forgotten all about them.

Hey, you want a great crab eye that doesn't require you burn mono to get it??? - go to the hairbrush section of Your Friendly Local Emporium (WallyWorld ) and find the Revlon brush with the black tips and clear stalks that look like 80# mono. If you want to make the eyeballs bigger, you can dip the brush tips in epoxy. Neat crab and shrimp eyes.

Last edited by DFix; 10-17-2002 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-17-2002, 05:47 PM

DFIX, I agree, the crab eyes----- on the BRUSH , yes sir!!!!!!
got a brush for (99 cents) must have 100 beautiful eyes on it, an you can get them in colors also.
"GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.