Fly Fishing Forum banner

Careful out there

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Penguin 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Well, I do not mean to defend the guys - and maybe I am being stupid here - but I often leave my life jacket in my yak when I ditch the boat on a sandbar.

On an incoming tide the water can rush up on your yak with surprising speed. The fact that an unloaded yak can float away in 4 inches of water doesn't help.

Looks like I should start wearing my SOSpensers whenever I ditch my yak on a sandbar.

-Mike

#6 · (Edited)
...a judgement call...

When flying into combat airspace I'd carry my heat and flack vest until it was time to make the donutz...just prior to entering the zone, donning the hardware and kevlar was a signal to my crew that it was time to "go to work" with a proper sense of intensity/urgency and put on the game face...
When venturing out onto open water in the YAK, the PFD is part of the "life support" gear that I rely on.
When the boat is left on the sand I use a 5# anchor to be certain it will be there should I become distracted on the flood...
Good Insurance...but I still constantly check...
Not to minimize concerns but, good judgement, experience, and not pushing my personal comfort envelope has alot to do with a successful sortie.
What happened on the Vinyard was a tragedy but we are dealing with a very unforgiving mistress...
6 "P's"...ProperPlanningPreventsPissPoorPerformance!
Every time I go out on the water I do a "Risk Assessment Management" exercise...and safety gear checklists...
If the good does not seriously out weigh the bad, I'll opt to pack it in and try again another day...
Challenges are part of the fun and the reward is relative...
Drop your guard and pay the price.
I don't ever want to be a Darwin Award recipient!

The wind was HONKIN' all weekend...gotta' know when to say NO!
Engage brain before engaging the paddle and you're off to a good start...

#9 ·
Good thoughts, risk management is not to be taken lightly when in or on the water fishing. The river banks and trails for us winter steelheaders also present addtional risks when they are snow and ice covered. I have taken my falls and luckily never any major injuries. You should see some of these steep trails that must be navigated at times.

Speaking of snow, we are going to get some showers in Chicago the next few days. Will be downtown chicago the next two days braving the lake front cold winds and snow showers.

Love it great football and steelhead weather! :hehe:

#10 ·
...gravity sucks...

PM...nice one...
There's something about steep snow-over-ice covered stream/river banks!
As your speed increases, your coefficient of friction decreases!
KAPLUNK!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.