heaviest 1/0, 2/0, 3/0 hooks - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2002, 01:50 AM
any fish, any time

heaviest 1/0, 2/0, 3/0 hooks

what is the heaviest iron hook that can be bought in the sizes above? I've been using Mustad 34011 to tie up heavy leeches without weighting wire, but want more heft and better points in situations where adding additional weight is a no-no. Any style is fine, any eye, but desire long-shank proportions generally in the range of classic salmon/steelhead irons. This ain't for the purdy flies fellas - its for the nasty leeches - so bring out your brutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2002, 02:30 AM

The Eagle Claw 1197 is a pretty heavy duty hook.I use them for my chinook/chum patterns.They are also very affordable and sharpen pretty easily.
Old 10-09-2002, 02:47 PM
Mr. Mom

Partridge M Salmon hook. I have 3/0 and 5/0 ala Bill McMillan. I've never had the nerve to tie on the 5/0 for steelies, but luckily it turns out a 5/0 Winter's Hope will catch Jacks and Dorado

Some of the new Tiemco's are nice. If you like the 34011, you may like the new 777. It is pricey though.

Other than that, there are some very heavy Gamakatsu bait hooks. They are short shanked however.
Old 10-22-2002, 02:56 AM
Spark's Bobber Brigade

I've been using the tiemco 700 for several years for my heavy down turned eye patterns. They can take a beating on snags and rocks better than any other I've found.
Old 10-22-2002, 10:36 AM
Fluff

Varivas 974 Salmon Hook is heavy wire, loop-up eye, black. Largest in this number is 1/0, but their 994S Saltwater hook is 4X long, straight eye, heavy wire, from sizes 6 thru 2/0, including size 0. I love these hooks for their well thought out pull balance and gap design. I think, 'cuz I measured either this or a different number they make, the wire size in this hook in the 1/0, 2/0 sizes is approx .055; they feel plenty strong in the vise, IMO.

Also, if you're looking for streamer hooks, they make 972, 2X long, 3X heavy down eye (2,6,8,10,12), and a 973, 3X long/heavy down eye (2,4,6,8,10,12), both bronze finish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.