Night Lights - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2002, 06:42 PM

Night Lights

Any recommendations on lights. Thinking about getting the $30+ LED light that runs a long time on AAA's. There are so many lights out there... I would like a strong, lightweight light I could affix to the bill of a baseball cap. This would make it comfortable and almost unlosable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2002, 07:12 PM
Pencil me in.....

Met a guy fishing with one of those recently. He loved it.
Old 10-08-2002, 07:49 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
...Black Diamond...

EMS (EasterMountainSports) sells a really nice 4LCD /3AAA headlight model with a sealed switch...ILIKEITALOT!
Old 10-08-2002, 08:42 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Club day coming up... Friday 26th, Sat 27th - 20% off. Wear your Forum hats!
Old 10-08-2002, 10:07 PM
Jonesin...

LED Light

I have a small one that attaches to the bill of a hat. Got it from Harry Koons at Nauset. I can't remember who makes it but I think it was only about $20. Not going to light up the night but is great for tying on a new fly or getting that pesty knot out of your line. It only uses a small watch battery so it is very light weight.

Sean
Old 10-09-2002, 06:10 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
I'll second Penguin's reply of this one

EMS didn't have it on their web page anymore...looks like they've got the newer, lighter version. The above lamp rocks though...bright white light for up close working.

Nick
Old 10-09-2002, 06:56 AM

I have a petzl zipka and love it. I think it's the smallest headlamp out there.

One nice feature of the petzl LEDs is that you can get colored lenses for them(I think EMS carries them). I have a red lense in mine to save my night vision.
Old 10-09-2002, 07:16 AM
Recent Member

Walmart has a new sportman's headlamp made by Ray-O-Vac that switches between LED white, LED red and a conventional blub for a flood light setting. It is fairly small, there is no need to change lenses and it retails for about $13.00. They advertise 20+ hours on the battery for LED settings, and 2+ hours for the flood setting. I have not bought it yet, but for $13.00, it's worth a shot....
Old 10-09-2002, 08:37 AM
President of CAC

I have the same one as Penguin and Nick..great light and throws a wide beam...so you can see where your walking...long life
Old 10-09-2002, 09:08 AM
BB5 Survivor

Juro --

How cool is that....have you gotten the "ping ems & walmart for
sponsorship" emails yet??!!??

As far as lights go, I go with a small 1 AAA version made by peli*** (has a red lens so night vision is not impacted, hang the light around my neck, although it has a clip so I suppose one could attach it to a hat, but not sure why you'd want to -- isn't that what teeth are for?!?! )...also have a regular headlamp (2 AA I think) made by an undisclosed (read non-sponsor type) company. Which I use for either spotting bait or if I really need to see.

But for me, night fishing is only ever about the sounds/sights/smell of bass, so the light is used for fly changes and perhaps signal flashes to a fishing buddy if I've gone with (hey Shane, are we on for this weekend??)

--j
Old 10-09-2002, 10:14 AM
believer in the 10 oz.

Let there be light...

I recently began using the Tikka-Lamp by Petzyl. It has performed flawlessly so far. Although not the brightest, it easily directs the light to where it is needed the most and has proved to be more than adequate.(Besides I really do not want to be lit up like a christmas tree while walking/working on the stream or beach.) The model that I have is light weight and has an elastic band that can either be worn around the head or neck. I believe that colored lenses are available.....Sorry for sounding like a
J. Peterman catlaog....my 2 cents.
Old 10-09-2002, 10:38 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by jared
Juro --

How cool is that....have you gotten the "ping ems & walmart for
sponsorship" emails yet??!!??

--j
As our newly appointed business mgr, I have full confidence that you can see this one through!

Sad truth is that we are losing sponsors due to lack of focus.

signed, chief cook and bottle washer
Old 10-09-2002, 10:54 AM

I hate night fishin. Nevertheless I got a Pelican from REI. Too heavy on a baseball hat, avoid them.
This passed weekend I loaned mine to my son on a camping trip. I handed it over to him with a "Now be careful this is my special night fishing light. Well...he broke it good. Showed up with a big sad lip and shaky voice "Dad...I got something to tell you". We had a good laugh over it and he promised to be more careful. So I got a new one yesterday for my B-day. Weird.

Lefty
Old 10-09-2002, 12:30 PM
BB5 Survivor

headlamps

I've found "headlamps" far more effective if I wear them around
my neck....one can still direct it where necessary with your hand, and you're less apt to annoy other fishers/spook fish/etc.

Was fishing a salt pond a few years ago...black, still night, fish were crashing single spearing. Not where people "generally" fish it, but in a side backwater....a troop of headlights came marching along (never bothered to stop/look/listen *IF* they had , there's no way they would have missed the slurps, splashes and the occasional singing of my reel). Instead they all marched along, headlamps ablaze lined themself up in the "channel" and proceeded to fish like automatons....

Nothing against headlamps mind you, but these guys were too funny. A little observation (especially at night) can go a LONG way.....

-j

(hey Juro, I barely have time for my current commitments, but thankfully my term is nearly up, and despite the BOD's wishes, I'm not about to bring up a vote for a change in the UFT by-laws to allow a president to serve >1 consecutive term..... )

(Lefty, how can anyone hate night fishing?? It is AWESOME!?!?!)

Last edited by jared; 10-09-2002 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-10-2002, 02:07 PM
Fluff

I have the Black Diamond mentioned, works marvelously, and a Princeton Tec. I like both. As I don't ski (or fish, according to some people) another use for my headlamps is night assaults on snowdrifts, snowshoe treks, etc.

By the way, brethren, do not forget a green lens offers the best night vision capability; though red lenses do not disturb the rods and cones almost at all, a green lens won't mess you up too badly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.