The Mystery of the Chatham Light Dagger .... - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2002, 02:53 PM
Flats Rat

The Mystery of the Chatham Light Dagger ....

Let me say right at the outset that this is a TRUE story and one which could become the basis for a novel or, who knows maybe even a Holywood movie ....

As Pete (aka Penguin) mentioned in an earlier post, we ventured out onto the sandbars at the light at lowtide last Saturday. There was a light mist which cast an etherial glow as the sun dropped behind the coastguard station. The atmosphere was one of mystery and expectation but nothing materialised to repay our best efforts in the surf. As I approached Pete I noticed that a Quahog he'd found was denying all efforts at forced entry.

"Got a knife Adrian?"

"No, sorry Pete, (chuckles) maybe you could find a seagull to drop it on a rock for you"

"Hmmm, how about a clipper?"

"Yeah, but no blade"

We start to walk back towards the lighthouse...

"Oh well, hey, what's that over there sticking out of the sand?"

"Dunno.... no ..... it can't be !!!!!!!!"

At which point Pete stoops and grasps the handle of a long lost blade which he draws from the sand like Arthur pulling Excalibur from the ancient stone. It was enough to give a man goose bumps. I'll swear I could heavenly voices behind the booming surf!

"They'll never believe this if I post it !" says Pete, at which point the rusty old blade did an excellent job on the Quahog shell.

Our walk back to the lighthouse continued without further incident.....
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2002, 03:19 PM
Fly chucker

:hehe::hehe::hehe:
Old 10-08-2002, 03:37 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

This June I had two clients out on the flats. During a rest Jim noticed a circular object, like a coin. It was not US currency, worn smooth from the sea and sand. It was very heavy and dense, felt like gold. Jim put it in his chest pack and we continued the day - 9 legals up to 38 in bluebird conditions, called it a day early and I forgot to follow-up per the coin. I'll find out what the deal was... maybe the pirate lost his dagger a ways down from where he lost his gold
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2002, 03:40 PM
President of CAC

...Clippers!!!!!....to open a Quahog shell???? I would like to see that operation.
Old 10-08-2002, 06:42 PM
deeply obsessed fly-guy

The Mystery of the Chatham Light Dagger....

OK, Adrian you have me thinking (a dangerous pastime, I know...)...

Casting for the movie version of "The Chatham Light Dagger" is looking something like this:

In the role of the globe-trotting Adrian (fly-fisherman of mystery and intrigue) I would go with Pierce Brosnan...unless Mr. Connery were available.

Playing the role of the combat-hardened veteren, who has seen and done it all (and has the tee-shirts to prove it...or rather the patches for his flight suit to prove it) I have to go with Clint Eastwood...no one else has the proper gravitas for the role. 'Course someone has to teach him to cast, and we need to make certain of his dietary open-mindendness if he is going to do the character justice.

I see this as the buddy flick/"River Runs Through It" film of the decade, rivalling "Butch Cassidy" and "The Sting".

Now, who to cast for the love interest...

Suggestions welcome.

-Doc
Old 10-08-2002, 07:28 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
...sure, I've been known to eat fresh dead bait but...

After being granted a way to break in, that Quahog wuz da best!

Just in case I had a few more wishes to be granted...I did request the immediate presence of a Swedish hooters girl/chiropractor...NADA! ZILCH!...GoFigure!
Just my luck...but that fresh clam was mighty fine!
Thank heaven for little favours...

ps
The quohog, a gift from the sea...
The knife, under 10 dollars...
The look on Adrian's face, PRICELESS!

Last edited by Penguin; 10-08-2002 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-08-2002, 07:59 PM
Pencil me in.....

Penguin,your GPS needs calibration

I believe your request for a Swedish hooters mermaid was granted. On Sunday afternoon while fishing Sandwich harbor there was a slight riffle to my right, then a rise and a Swedish hooter out for a swim surfaced right before my eyes just out of casting range:hehe: She said have you seen a Penquin I have been sent to meet him..I quickly gave her Chatham light coordinates...keep an eye out
Old 10-09-2002, 05:01 AM

Maybe it was the dagger used to fight off the large German Shepard and dropped while taking a hasty retreat. FishHawk
Old 10-09-2002, 08:39 AM
President of CAC

Fish hawk...that's it...but I held my ground... with my back to the water , of course..ready to take the plung if necessary.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.