Fly Fishing Forum banner

Michigan Surf Report

4K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  pmflyfisher 
#1 ·
Well I finally got a little time to post a report.

Traverse City Area: Surf fishing has been fair near the mouth of the Boardman river. Many fish but many anglers! :? Water temps range from 60-65deg. Not too many flyfisherman, but my buddy who owns the Troutsman does very well fishing near the mouths during pre-dawn hours and at dusk. Casting from the shorline can be productive, be sure to cover alot of water! :lol:

Platte Bay: Coho salmon action has been awesome. Some kings are being taken as well. Anglers are stacked in surf and along shoreline near mouth of the Platte River. Water temp is around 61deg. If you plan on flyfishing, cast 6-10in streamer patterns or egg patterns on sink tip lines.

Lake Michigan Shoreline: Action ranges from fair to good. Look for cooler temps near river mouths to hold staging fish. Rain will push fish up the river.

Lexington, Port Sanilac and Harbor Beach: Fishing has been fair, depending on the conditions. Rainy days keep fish near shore, and staging in harbor usually. Anglers are catching fish on the lakeside of the pierheads as well. Water temp ranges from 62-67deg. Cooler water temps will bring more fish near shore.

Oscoda and Lake Huron Shoreline: Oscoda has been very good recently. Anglers fishing near mouth of the Au Sable have been taking many fish. The mouth of the Rifle and Au Gres rivers have been fair, and depend on conditions. Larger flouresent streamers might be best if you plan on flyfishing. Water temp is around 59deg, and with rain in the forecast, fishing could be superb! :lol:

I target the surf throughout the year and am a true beach bum. I have learned the surf, and usually know where the fish are. Using spey rods, 400 grain sinking lines and large streamers imitating baitfish off the pierheads and deeper channels along the beaches is my favorite way to target steelhead/salmon in the surf.

Email me for more surf action or if you are intersted in joining Southeastern Michigan Flyfishers.

See less See more
#2 ·
Dan,

Nice report, some how I missed this post ? Temps in chicago are dropping to 30s tonight and snow flurries tomorrow. Surface temps in Lake M. have dropped ten degrees into high fifties over the last week.

The time has finally come for serious great lakes steelheading.

Mr. and Mrs. Steelhead are on their way home to our rivers.

Good luck and hope you get out their soon. We got to get together for a surf outing some time.

Hal

#3 ·
What to in these surf conditions ?

Dan,

Check out these conditons on friday in western michigan surf.

20-40 MPH winds temps of high 30s, wind chill of at least 20 degrees probably.

Surfers were in the parking lot when I was leaving.

Actually I fished a river in the morning and was hoping to get in an hour or two in the surf but as you could see it was hopeless for a fly rodder and the spin guys were no wheres to be seen either.

But what a beautiful autumn scene that michigan surf is !!:hehe:

I did not even take the fly rod out of the car. Went for lunch and then back home to the windy city. (How appropriate !)

Attachments

#5 ·
ahhhh.......

Autumn falls on the surf, what can be better?

Surfs up!:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.