10/2 Western Rhody Report - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2002, 08:42 AM
_

10/2 Western Rhody Report

Skunked again ! ! !

I took a ride to RI yesterday to try to stretch my fly line, which had been tightly coiled on my reel for about two weeks while I dealt with family obligations. Beautiful day for fishing, I just wish the catching was a little better. At least I got my casting arm back in shape :hehe: .

I started at Watch Hill at around low tide. Tons of weeds and a strong breeze made the fishing difficult. I was feeling lazy so I didn't make the trek down the beach. Saw several stripers near the jetty just over the dune, but I couldn't get them to hit. I thought this was supposed to be easy in October . After lunch I headed over to Quonny just before the tide started flowing in. Shortly after the tide got moving, a few albies made a brief appearance and one lucky angler caught one further out in the breachway. I had a couple chances but no takes. The fish disappeared as fast as they arrived, so I took a ride to Weekapaug to check that out. Lots of fly fishers, lots of gunk in the water on the outside of the jetties, not many fish. The bait erupted a few times along the inside of the east jetty, but the predators were most likely blues not albies. Took another ride back to Quonny and saw no action, so I headed back to Watch Hill to see if the stripers would cooperate as the sun was setting. Nope. I saw one fish break in a school of bait that was well out of range of the shore or jetty, but that was it.

Hope you guys do better this weekend. I'm still hoping to make it down on Sunday so maybe you can show me how it's done :hehe: .

Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2002, 09:32 AM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hi Quentin,

Thanks for the report about conditions and the challenging fishing. Sounds like it was still a nice day out. Perhaps the fish will cooperate alittle more when we arrive.

Think you can get away to join us?

Greg.
Old 10-03-2002, 07:09 PM

Quentin - is there still a ton of bait in the breachways?
Old 10-04-2002, 11:14 AM
_

Quote:
Originally posted by fliboy
Quentin - is there still a ton of bait in the breachways?
Lots of bait in both the Quonny and Weekapaug breachways. Dense schools of small and medium peanuts plus the usual assortment of other bait. I didn't see any massive schools outside the breachways though.

Q

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.