Long Island trout fishin'.... - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2002, 06:04 PM
believer in the 10 oz.

Long Island trout fishin'....

Fished the Carmans River on Long Island last Thursday. Caught numerous browns and brook trout in the usual haunts, i.e. deeper holes behind the wing dams and anywhere overhead cover and deeper water was available. Caught a few on beetles but most consistent action occurred while nymphing small flies(18-24) to sighted fish. Around 6:30 midges and large cream colored mayflies began to bring some of the holdover browns and native brook trout to the surface. A size 12 light cahill proved very effective. Towards dusk I began to skate it at the head of the pool and was rewarded with a number of slashing rises. A number of the native brook trout that I caught were begining to exhibit their spawning colors. The colors of these fish more than made up for their relative small size. I have caught native brook trout all over the east coast(Maryland, Penn, New York, VA, WVA, etc.) and I can say that the native brook trout in the Carmans River are some of the most beautiful I have seen! Best part about the afternoon was the absence of anyone else on the river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2002, 08:08 AM

Steven,

Sounds like fun. I opted for the Swift last saturday and ended up trying to cast dries with my 4wt in a steady 30 mph blow (Isadore). Carl D saved the day once again.

You still thinking about coming up this weekend? My schedule is wide open.

Dave
Old 10-03-2002, 08:39 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Sounds awesome! Didn't know Long Island had such a good trout fishery. Very cool.
Old 10-03-2002, 12:16 PM
believer in the 10 oz.

I would not call it great but...

There are a number of places to fish for trout on Long Island. The two streams that get most of the attention are the Connetequot and Nessequogue Rivers. Both of these streams flow almost entirerly through Suffolk County park land. These streams contain heavy concentrations of quality fish. My best on the Nessequogue was a 6 lb. brown that I caught a couple of weeks ago . The trout streams on the Island are very similar to spring creeks. They exhibit cool water temps., large amounts of aquatic vegetation, and a relative abundance of aquatic invertebrates.

My favorite stream on Long Island is the Carmans. This stream recieves far less angling pressure than either the Nessequogue or Connetequot. I feel that the angling experience and satisfaction are much greater on this stream than the other more highly touted streams of Long Island. The fish are more challenging and the river itself is much less developed then the other two. There are a number of quality hatches that occur on the Carmans and the native brook trout and hatchery holdovers respond very well to the floating naturals.

The trout streams of Long Island are certainly no Big Horn or Delaware, however they do provide quality angling opportunities for fly fisherman who need a quick fix and do not have enough time to make the run upstate.
Old 10-03-2002, 03:17 PM

Yes, Long Island has always been a kind of sleeper, I always wanted to try. My city friends tried to get me out there, but I always headed to the catskills or poconos for the big waters I knew.

Believe they have some sea run browns and maybe brooks there also. Thats what I really wanted to try.

Dosent't the Cape have some sea run trout?
Old 10-04-2002, 08:42 AM
believer in the 10 oz.

Sea run fish....

In the past two years I have caught exactly one brown that I felt was a definite "sea run" fish. It was completely silver(I believe ya'll would call it chrome.) with large black spots and perfect fins. It was somewhere around 4lbs. and it hit my cone head wooly bugger like a frieght train despite the fact that it was the middle of February! I have caught a number of smaller rainbows that exhibited silver coloring however I am not comfortable in calling them "sea run" fish. I have talked to a number of individuals: anglers, biologists, park employees, etc, and they tell me pretty much the same thing...the number of fish that actually make the move to the salt are few and far between. I would agree. Last year I targeted these fish secifically and fished whenever the conditions seemed to be favorable.(i.e. at 3 AM in November with a favorable tide, during torrential downpours, etc.) I caught nothing but a few snapper blues and a cold.

As I said the Nessequogue and Connetequot contain some monster fish. I saw one brown a couple of weeks ago that absolutely scared me. I am not talking about a twenty-four inch fish either! Lets just say that any of the parks fourteen inch brook trout could have easily been this bad boys dinner.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:58 PM

Be careful Flyfishark can't resist a Big Brown challenge and may want to visit out there.
Old 10-23-2002, 07:12 PM
brookie! where?

Send a message via AIM to SDHflyfisher Send a message via MSN to SDHflyfisher
how's it doing on long island

I was born on long island but hav not been there for several years. earlier this spring i say a show by orvis that flyfished for trout on long island but they never said the name and i have been trying found out which rver it was since then
thanks could you e mail me with more info on the river
SDHflyfisher@hotmail.com
Thanks

"Tight Lines"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.