Tippet Material - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2002, 11:32 AM
Recent Member

Tippet Material

I'm seeking information regarding abrasion resistance, suppleness, breaking strength, knot strength, turnover capability, and elasticity differences between fluorocarbon, polyvinyl fluoride, and monofilament leader/tippet materials.

Can these materials be used interchangeably with each other?

What is polyvinyl fluoride?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of braided leaders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2002, 12:13 PM

Don;t know what polyvinyl fluoride is (a denture adhesive ?) but as far as mono & fluoro go... the party line is that tying the two disimlar products together can result in knot failure.

That being said, I find that if I use mono for my butt section (purely a budget decision) and fluoro for the tippet, I use an albright and have never had a problem.

Good luck.

Roop
Old 10-01-2002, 01:00 PM

Braided leaders are like any piece of fly fishing equipment in that they have some plusses and some minuses. As plus they can give a long life. What I don't like about them is that they tend to spray water droplets while casting and they are expensive.
Old 10-01-2002, 05:00 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Jeff Roop is right. Don't mix and match dissimilar materials or manufacturers when bukilding a leader. One approach I use that has a couple of advanatages is to use a non-slip mono loop at the end of my transition on long leaders or the butt section on sink tip lines. Then, tie a similar loop in the tippet section. This allows the use of different materials, e.g. fluoro or manufacturers. It also allows you to makeup tippet sections in advance for replacement when they become too short. Ever try to connect a new tippet in a blitz?

Simms
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2002, 05:50 PM

I mix and match all the time, and rarely suffer any ill consequences. Test your knots and see for yourself. I usually tippet out with flourocarbon(I like Orvis, Rio and Seaguar).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.