Fly Fishing Forum banner

Sage Rod Decision????

4K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  flytyer 
#1 ·
I am looking into buying a Sage rod in a 4wt 4pc 9ft configuration but can't decide whether to get the XP or the SLT. This rod will replace an Orvis Trident TLS tip-flex 9.5 in the same size which broke as did the loaner rod they let me use. In the little time that I had them I really liked the action but I guess they were too brittle so I have decided (90%) to get a Sage but can't decide which one !! This will be my main rod for all types of water and there is wind involved. All comments and suggestions will be appreciated

Moosestang

#2 ·
Far, far from a knowledgeable answer here ..

but rod action is the key to your choice. Several of us use the Sage xlt's for our 'go to' single handed rods on the Rogue. The xlt's are a very fast action rod that will just boom 7 and 8 forward wt. lines, sink-tips, etc. Down at a 4 wt line this may be an overkill rod, if your not looking for distance casting and heavy/wind resistent flys.

How does Sage 'tout' the action of your other choice?
fae

#5 ·
I agree with Juro. The VPS light is surprisingly nice. Reminds me of my favorite trout rod sage ever put out.The light line series. I love those rods and the VPS light feels almost the same.

While not a powerhouse like the XP you can cast all day and if you really need to stretch it out you can. However the rod really shines at 50 feet and under which is what 90% of your trout fishing will be.

Something to look into....

-sean

#7 ·
That question is a little like asking what color car you need to buy.

With that resolved I'd get the XP. It offers a powerful rod selection which appears to be the action you prefer. Yet, you can still slow down the action by over lining if you like. Thus giving you a similar action to that of the SLT. Considering that "all" of the line manufacturers have now gone to the upper end of AFTMA for light rods you'll probably overline a little wheather you want to or not.

my $.02

#9 ·
The XP will do everything the SLT (Super Limp Tip) will do yet the opposite does not hold true.

The SLT 4 and 5 piecer's do have some nice casting rods within that line but stay away from the 2 piecers.

Go to your local shop and throw the 490-4 XP, 490-5 SLT and 490-4 SLT and decide which one feels best to you as they will all 'fish' relatively alike.

Secondly, throw that piece of crap Wonderline out...no offense.

#10 ·
AFTMA stands for American Fly Tackle Manufacturers Association (I think). They set the guide lines and specs for fly lines and rod weights. The weight of a fly line is determined by cutting off the first 30 feet and weighing it on a scale. Where it falls within that scale is the weight (in grains) of the fly line. For instance:

4wt = 114-126 grains
5wt = 134-146 grains
6wt = 152-168 grains

So here to fore there has been some averaging on what the actual weight in grains of the fly line you bought might be. Much the same if you bought a pair of Levi vs Wrangler jeans. Each manufacturer had a guideline but not necessarly a specific spec that they followed.

Since fly rod companies have gotten better at working with materials our rods have become faster and faster. While the specs that we use to buy our lines with have stayed the same. One of the most common ways to react to that has been for people to over line their rods (ie buying a 6wt line for a 5wt rod). Airflo and Orvis (SA) saw this trend early on and began making their lines to the upper end of the AFTMA chart. So your 4 wt rod would have had a 120 grain fly line in the past but now would have a 126 grain line. This would be on the heavy end of the AFTMA scale. Add to that longer tapers on the distance lines or a double taper and it would take a calculus equation to know what line to put on your rod.

The comment in the previous post is that with a fast action rod like the XP, you can slow the action by overlining the rod slightly. But you can't speed up a slow rod. Easy enough?

John

#12 ·
Look up XP and SLT on the site search, you will find more there. I have both(in the #4), and for an all around rod, the XP is very hard to beat. It was my go to rod in NZ and it has served me well all over. The SLT is good too, but if you only can have one...cast both.

#13 ·
Thanks for the comment I have cast them both in a parking lot which doesn't tell me how they act on the water perhaps I should narrow my question down a little more; will the Sage XP cast a small dry fly delicately on a short cast ??? Is it the better all around Rod if you could only have one ??? I have asked for honest opinions on what you readers prefer. Please do not feel that you have to placate me: just tell me what you honestly think and I will make my own decision from there

THANKS

#14 ·
Go back to the shop and cast them again. Bring a leader that you might use where you fish, and maybe even a typical fly or two(with the hook cut off at the bend). Cast in close, cast far. Imagine that you are casting to fish. These rods are expensive enough to test a few times. Roll casts and mends are the only things you can't do in the parking lot.
A couple of questions: Do you already have a 5 or 6 weight? What rivers are you going to use the new rod on?
Inside of 20', the SLT is a better bet. Long leaders and line weight have more to do with presentation than rod speed. The XP has a nice soft tip, so it is quite easy to load. The four weight XP is my favorite dry fly rod.
I don't think that anyone who bothers to post here wants to placate you, and their honest opinion is the only one that they have.

#16 · (Edited)
Moose, I think Mark Bachman heard your call.

Go the Flyfishusa's web site (they're a regular advertiser on the board). Once/twice a month he will put up a large '10 minute mental coffee break;' always a good read.

Yesterdays was on choosing trout rods, reels, etc. Best breakdown of rods sizes, why choose this or that I think I've ever seen. Classic stuff from a classic guy.
fae

PS: don't worry about anyone 'placating' you; flame very rairly on this board, but placete ...... even more rare.:smokin:

#18 ·
T&T makes a very nice 4 peice 4 weight that has a faster action with nice short line casting qualities as well, and it is priced about what the Sage is priced at. Also, G.Loomis makes a GLX travel rod that is a typical fast GLX, but it does have a slightly softer tip to help you from breaking light tippets. Scott also makes a very nice one. Remember that Sage isn't the only game in town.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.