C and R of Wild fish? - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2002, 01:03 AM
Coednakedspey

C and R of Wild fish?

I am just curious about something. Up here we have hatchery Steelhead fisheries just like you guys, but we don't seem to have problems with guys who understand about Wild Steelhead Release (other than blatant poachers) and why we release them, especially in hatchery fisheries.

I am curious as to why it is so hard for certain people south of the border fisheries to embrace Catch and Release of Wild Steelhead, especially Catch and Release of Wild Steelhead in waters that have hatchery Steelhead in them.

Also, can someone explain to me the situation regarding clipping Steelhead down in your guys area? Up here it is policy that all hatchery steelhead have an adipose clip for various reasons. Sorry I keep hearing rumours that there are some fisheries where the Steelhead are not clipped?

Is there some psychology at play here, or some type of primitive instinct going on that I don't know about? Why is it so hard for people to change to the now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2002, 10:59 AM

Politcal squabble.

Scott, There is in Washington State a dual management of our steelhead fishery. Like wise there is duplication in the hatchery rearing of steelheads too. The various entitys refered to as the "Native Tribes" have a different harvest mandate than the sportsmen or "Non Native" managers.
It cost a bit of money to tag all those fish and they (the tribes) do not gain anything in doing so and have resisted tagging for some time. Several of our local politicians have tried to earmark funds with strings attached to help the tribes tag there hatchery fish. This is on going and I have not been following it closely.
If the price of fish gets much lower due to farm raised product you may see alot less hatchery fish in the rivers soon!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.