dai-riki #889 - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2002, 02:01 PM
LBFF Mojo

dai-riki #889

Can pick up these real cheap from a friend but I was wondering what you all think of them for a winter heavy wire hook?

Pros,Cons?

-sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2002, 02:40 PM
Chief of E.P.

Thumbs up

I have been using them for a couple of years and would rate them just behind a Tiemco 7999. Good hook for the $$. I think you step down a bit in quality from the 7999 but for roughly 1/2 the cost, it is a good trade-off.
Old 10-02-2002, 02:52 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

If I recall, dai-riki has two steel/salmon hooks - one that is the traditional loop eye and the other a hvy wire bartleet-esque hook. I remove every barb that comes to the vise so I prefer the traditional hook profile over the dropped gape, and I like thin wire where I can get away with it.

That being said I agree with Sinktip. Don't forget gamakatsu who has come out with a great trad/loop eye hook that comes in alternate colors than black. I like the pewter ones with BEP speys.

In short they are a good winter hook for sure.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:54 PM

Yes indeed!

I agree with Juro, the Gamagatsu's are an exceptionaly sharp, strong, and most importanly (for winter time) durable hook. In the winter I tend to fish slow and as deep as my tips will allow me and a hook that can stick rock and not need to be thrown out is indeed rare. The colors are fun too.
I tried the Dai Rikis and thought they too were pretty darn good but I did give the edge to the Gamagatsu's. In my not so humble opinion.
Old 10-02-2002, 10:58 PM

Awesome Hook!

Juro - perhaps you are confusing Daiichi and Dai-Riki? Dai-Riki only offers one S/S hook, which is shown on the "non-spey" flies in the link below. (The others are Partridge Bartleet.)

I use the Dai-Riki 899s all the time. Better than the 7999s IMHO. Strong and dependable, with a fine return loop wire. Sometimes the eyes are a bit inconsistent, but it has never proven to be a problem for me. Here's my endorsement of them.

http://www.danica.com/flytier/tduncan/tduncan.htm
Old 10-03-2002, 06:00 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Yes Pastortd - I have confused the dai these with the dai those in this case. I have both in the tying kit and will have to go take a closer peek now that the topic has come to light.
Old 10-03-2002, 11:54 PM
Pullin' Thread

Sean,

They are a very strong and sharp hook that hold a point well. I don't tie on them because I prefer the finer grind on the return wire that Daiichi has and the better finsh quality of the Daiichi.

I never use Tiempco becasue the pooints don't hold up nearly as well as the Daiichi. Partridge (which is owned by Mustad for several years now) is inconsistent in quality of fisnish and the loop returns are not of the nice long taper that I prefer. Mustad is just too clunky and inconsistent, along with somewhaqt soft.

Gamagatsu have great strength, points that hold up, good finish, but are a bit heavy in the wire for my taste.

I tie exclusively on Daiichi salmon irons because of the finer wire; long, fine hook returns, great finish, and multitude of styles, everything from traditional heavy hooks, to Alec Jackson Spey Hooks, to Alec's and Veverka's true low-water hooks.

That said, the Dai-Riki are a very good hook, they just don't tie a nice, well-proportioned spey fly.
Old 10-05-2002, 07:47 PM

Light wire Gamagtsus

Fly Tyer, I am outfitting for yet another sortie around the NW in hot pursuit of stillness of wind and warm dry air where few Bi-pedal animals are present . During this outfitting I was in my local "Fly Shop" and lo and behold there on the hook rack were light wire Gamagatsus. I purchased several dozen in appropo sizes and will be waving them above an old and trusted friend soon.
Fall is just starting but I have been out just enough that I am feeling an urgency that is bordering on paranoia. Mayhaps my drive up to the Morrice only to sere it flood the second night i was there has me a might goosey.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.