Fly Fishing Forum banner

Big Scare !

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
I was out on the susquahanna yesterday, giving it one last whirl for the smallies. I was wading near these concrete cover pipes that where sitting in the bottom of a shallow pool. I figured it was good structure and maybe a smallie would be by one. Anyhow after spending about 5 minutes in this spot working it I edge a little closer, when all of a sudden a HUGE carp about 3 feet long charged out of the pipe and headed right for me ! :eyecrazy: Needless to say I back peddled very quickly :chuckle: What a scare !

#2 ·
God, that brought back a memory from 30 years ago.

Fishing way up on the North Fork of the Skykomish for summer runs and Chum Salmon. (chum's may be 'ugly' but God are they a strong fish. Also love a bushie red fly).

Anyway, wade out on a gravel bar about 30 some feet from the bank to fish the holding water/slot on the other side. Hook, release, hook, etc. Standing in about 3 feet of 'froggish' water.

Anyway, I'm done ...... or so I thought.

While I was out there playing around a huge school of chums moved into the shallow water behind me. I turn, take one step, they all go bananna's in 360 degrees of direction.

I was so startled I litterly fell over backwards ......:razz: Good soaking to say the least.
fae

#6 ·
I was fishing the Mousam River in Maine one summer on an incoming tide. There was a large school of pogies getting smeared by 10 to 12 pound blues. I was wading wet sending in about 18 inches of water. A school of pogies came over the bar I was on and hit me in the back of the leg. It scared the heck out of me. I nearly jumped out of my skin. What got me walking, make that runnig on water was when I saw the blues right behind the pogies between me and the shore. My lily white calf is the same size as one of those pogies and I didn't want to be sushi for some over sized blue.
Larry

#7 ·
I was wading early on an outgoing tide to see if I could position near a channel 200 yds from shore. Since the tide was dropping I knew I could push the limits (not true on the flood) and I was close to the label on my waders. Suddenly a bull gray seal of approx 700 or more pounds decides he has me at an advantage.

He decides to play chicken with me - charging at full force such that a pressure wave of water is rising over it's brow with it's black as death eyes staring at me coming in a charge and turning to the side at the last minute!

I never moved so quickly chest deep in water in my life, deciding I could wait for low tide and almost needing a change of waders.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.