who's fishin Friday and where? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-25-2002, 09:07 PM

who's fishin Friday and where?

To me, the fun part of a clave is meeting everybody and putting faces with the names. I often fish near strangers and wonder, "Do I know him?" I never seem to get up my nerve to ask. So this weekend I'm really gonna try and meet as many of you as I can. We oughta have some kind of recognition sign we all recognize.
I'll be easy to spot. I usually wear a red ball cap which says Boca Grande with a pic of a fly. If it's raining I'll be in a light blue rain coat and if not raining a camo field jacket. But you can't miss me if you just look for a tall guy with a nine year old kid at his side.
I plan to start at the West Wall pre-dawn and will move quickly to Weekapoug unless the Wall is hot. If conditions are good and the fish show, I'll be posted on one of the jetties at Weekapoug through the whole incoming tide, 'till roughly 3:00 PM. After that it's off to the campground to set up. Don't have a current plan for the evening yet. Anybody who sees me, say HI! If anyone is unfamiliar with the area and wants to tag along, I can't promise to find fish, but at least I know where the parking places and donut shops are!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2002, 09:50 PM

Mike,

I planning on making high tide late morning/mid day. Could run down and get a site, but I'd rather do the wall en route. I remember you from the Boneclave. You told some good stories (some of em were evan true). So unless we need me to get a site first I'll hit the wall. How's it fish high tide mid day? Been a couple years.
I'm on the fence again about the skiff. If I don't bring it we'll have FAC conditions.
Everyone else still in on the bigger boats?

Lefty
Old 09-25-2002, 10:14 PM

Lefty, Bring your boat if you care to, It may help a lot if the weather is bad. Quonochotaug Pond is shallow, and has a couple of good places on an incoming.it has been pretty good lately, don't tell anyone I said that.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:28 PM

I remember you too Lefty. You're the bluegrass player, right? Why don't you bring something to play for us?
That was a great time on Washburn Island. My first time meeting people I knew from the internet and my first ever albies. A memorable weekend to be sure. Remember how those owls kept us awake half the night?
BTW, ALL my stories are true! My adventures are interesting enough that I don't have to embellish!
Don't worry about rushing to the campground. With the weather report what it is, there'll be plenty of sites. Maybe after we get some fishing done, we can form a convoy over there and try to get adjacent sites. As I said, I'll probably fish till about 3:00PM.

I still haven't figured out what tide fishes best at the West Wall. It seems random. They're either there or they're not. As Weekapoug is VERY tide specific, I just fish the Wall when ever it's not time to be at the breachway. Mid day won't matter, there's been a few really good days this season where they hit well into the afternoon.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:32 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

I have to admit the forcast has thrown a monkey wrench into my plans abit. Setting up a tent and camp in 35 mph winds and rain doesn't sound like too much fun. I have no problem fishing in it, But I don't look forward to setting up camp in it.
So saturday looks more likely for me at this point although I'll be watching the weather closely.

Also with the expected rains I'm wondering if trailering a heavy boat into the campground would get me stuck in the mud or not.
Art or Mike any thoughts about that or is it a non-issue.

Thanks,
Greg.
Old 09-26-2002, 06:10 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Greg - Burlingame is paved throughout, little to no risk unless you park in a bad spot off the road.

Weather report has no rain for Sat or Sat PM now (nws.noaa.gov) and Sunday looks bluebird. Wind looks like a concern for Sat though.

It's going to be an awesome event, very sorry I will miss it but with the gang currently signed up it's bound to be a barn-burner.

Art recommended some great / reasonable hotels near Misquamicut / Weekapaug for those who are thinking that route.

I fly back Sunday night, looking forward to reading the reports on Monday - hope everyone has a great time!
Old 09-26-2002, 07:58 AM
President of CAC

I am out for Friday...can't on saturday...so, I may be out for the duratiion
Old 09-26-2002, 11:59 AM

Talking

Will not camp this weekend but will attend the dinner on Sat. unless the weather turns out nasty. Not a jetty jocky so I'll fish the beaches. Not sure of bringing the yak . Will have to play this one by ear. FishHawk
Old 09-26-2002, 04:09 PM
BB5 Survivor

i'm hoping to fish up north (pre-work)

--j

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.