WSC Article in Salmon, Trout & Steelheader - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-23-2002, 09:56 PM
Holdout

WSC Article in Salmon, Trout & Steelheader

FYI- There's a informative article in the this months issue of STS written by the Wild Steelhead Coalition titled "Why Wild Steelhead are Important" it is a enlighting response to last issues Guest Editoral by Doug Rose titled "Wild Fish vs. Hatchery Stock: Any Difference?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2002, 11:00 AM

I started avoiding Amato publications years ago (after Marty Sherman was laid off/fired from Flyfishing magazine) and still avoid them because pro-hatchery opinions seem consistently pushed. I'm glad WSC was able to respond.

Incidentally, I went to the WSC web site recently to learn more of what you're about. Very interesting that WSC Trustees include people like Lichatowich and Bakke, but also includes Amato. Sure seems like some different viewpoints there. Perhaps I am off-base in understanding Amato's opinions.

I'll look for the article. Thanks for the heads-up.

Bill
Old 09-24-2002, 11:46 AM
Chief of E.P.

Bill,

As one of the current WSC trustees and as the founding president, I think I can answer some questions from your post above.

First off, Frank Amato is and has been a defender of wild fish. He has been quite outspoken on this for some time and just recently in STS reaffirmed his belief that all wild fish should be released. Frank, like many of the WSC's supporters are fishermen though and realize that without hatchery fish, there would be few fisheries available in the Northwest. The trick here is to make sure that hatchery programs are designed and operated to minimize impacts on wild stocks. Global policies have their place but to pull this off, you need to take a hard look at it on a river by river level.

My personal belief is if we do away with hatcheries totally then first, fishing for steelhead goes away and then, second, the voice for wild fish goes away. A delicate balancing act to be sure but one that needs to be found.

As for the broad base of the trustees, this was intentional. When we were putting together the original trustee list we wanted a spectrum of beliefs on what is needed to save wild steelhead. The trustees role is to advise the board of directors and as such myself and the original board didn't just want yes people who agreed with us on everything. We wanted to be challenged by outside the box thinking. Towards that end we made sure that we included those that fell more in the anti-hatchery camp; Bakke, Lichatowich as well as those that were more hatchery friendly, Frank Amato and Dennis Dickson.

Hope this helps. I can't speak for the WSC but I know a number of curent BOD members frequent this board and if you have any specific questions about policy, they would be happy to speak up.

Regards,
Duggan Harman
Old 09-25-2002, 05:21 PM
Holdout

Thanks Duggan, You hit the nail on the head.
Old 09-25-2002, 05:44 PM

"myself and the original board didn't just want yes people who agreed with us on everything. We wanted to be challenged by outside the box thinking. Towards that end we made sure that we included those that fell more in the anti-hatchery camp <snip> as well as those that were more hatchery friendly..."

I appreciate and admire people who are open-minded and wish to hear all sides of the issues. Personally, I think the resource is always more important than the fishers, but your point that without fishers there may not be advocates for the resource is accurate, IMO.

Thanks for the comprehensive response.

--Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.