Fly Fishing Forum banner

Quentin, I am concerned

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Geoff 
#1 ·
Just saw about a story that is to air tomorrow on the news with Dan Rather (Sept 24). Thinking we may need to talk about it.

Hopefully it's nothing.:(

Geoff

#2 ·
They didn't do the piece!

Ok, but I'm looking for the story. On Monday Dan Rather said something about "carp terrorizing fisherman, get the story here tomorrow". I watched and nothing. I searched the internet and found one story about a carp die-off in the midwest. It appears to be a virus.

I'll see what I can find tomorrow.

#3 ·
Geoff, they don't terrorize me, they only torment me :hehe:

I wonder if the story was supposed to be about the Asian carp that are about to infiltrate the Great Lakes. I guess they routinely jump as high as 8' and have collided with fishermen and other boaters. Ouch! :whoa:

Q

#4 ·
Dan, is probably referring to the Big Head Carp which supposedly jump 10+feet out of the water and are as large as 70-80 lbs. These would be to large for even Q - The Carp Stalker

They have been known to have hurt people when landing on them.

They are migrating up the Mississippi river to the Illinois River to the Illinois Ship Canal which connects into Lake Michigan and are a great threat to the great lakes fishery.

They are putting in electric barriers to stop them, hope they work.

Dan probably has higher priority stories now with the Irag situation heating up or perhaps the Springsteen or Mcartney tour etc (They are in Chicago the next two nights).

I posted an article on this a while back, do a search for it and it should come up, try "Big Head Carp"

#5 ·
Jumping carp

It looks like you guys are right on. Tonight they showed a clip on the story. It appears the story will air tomorrow night (Thurs 26th). That may have been my mistake before. Hope I can watch but I am not sure now as I offered to take a co-worker out fishing! (But not for carp). Maybe I can get the story on-line if no one from the forum sees it.

Geoff

#9 ·
Thanks for posting the link. I got a chance to see the story last night as well. Another example of an introduction gone bad.

For those who didn't see the story on TV- they showed these large carp leaping several feet (maybe three-four feet clear of the water) and smashing into boats and fisherman as they speed along in their boats. It looked as if it is the sound/approach of the boat which causes them to leap like that. You could see it was quite startling to the fisherman. I wonder if they also jump like that when hooked?

Geoff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.