Newcomer's report- South County - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-23-2002, 08:01 PM

Newcomer's report- South County

Well the guys from NY (upstate) came to RI to see what they could learn - and we did learn (Matt-please follow-up with post on this topic)- about fishing in the salt. This is the summary.

Sat. Watch Hill 5:30 am - launch kayak (tandem) in the surf under beautiful moon as waves begin to build. Spend next nine hours in kayak- thankful for having spray skirts and noticing that forecast of 2-4 foot waves does certainly have waves that look 4 ft. Make note to self- Find out if forecasted wave height is peak-to-trough or amplitude . Calm self by noting that water is warm and by staying close to shore. Catch several bluefish and a couple of sea robins. Take notes on idea for book "Sea Robin on a Fly".

Wonder if boaters are saying "Those guys nuts! They must be from NY". Remind self not to be too critical of out-of-staters.

Notice that big rip forms off of Napatree when conditions are right. Pilings and rocks are there too. Paddle away vigorously.

Land kayak in surf- spend next 15 minutes bailing out. Make note "Next time just meet Adrian for spey casting at Quonny".

Afterwards go to Quonny and Weekapaug. Matt comments "There goes a tuna". "Ha, ha , ha" I say.
"No I am serious" he replies and sure enough there "they" are. Saw them several times in the breachway -at one point thinking someone had just thrown a very large rock in the water only to see the baitfish spraying out of the water for their lives.

Stay at cabin in Burlingame- eat stew made by Matt's wife. Make note to always make sure Matt is in charge of meals. Also sample whiskey.

Wake up at 5:00 am again on Sunday and head to Weekapaug. Observe ease with which Nick launches and lands kayak in surf. Vow one day to do the same. (Nick- we were two guys closest to beach on west side)

Observe hook-ups by guys on east side later reading details of events here on forum. Note what a nice place this is. Leave before seeing any baitcasters on east side. Remind self to be humble.

Exchange stories about work with Matt on ride home- laugh- laugh loud. Make note to self- try to enjoy life/do this more often. Be thankful for wonderful family giving me opportunity to do this. Wish clavers good luck. Offer newbie's perspective on wave height forecasts and patterns for sea robins should anyone ask. (As luck would have it they are the same flies used by NY'ers when fishing for albies)

Return home.

Good luck next weekend guys- hope to hook up in the future.

Geoff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2002, 09:02 PM

Nine hours in the yak? In a row? Nevermind "how do you land a big striper?". How do you...well, I guess you don't drink a lot of coffee before hand!
Glad you enjoyed your visit. FYI, the waves off Watch Hill Light are always bigger than nearby areas. That's what makes it such a good striper spot - white water even on somewhat calm days. It's impressive to see in a big storm! Although I didn't see the storm itself, I remember an October Nor'Easter that washed away the chainlink fence and about half the lawn off the east side of the lighthouse. I bet the residents didn't get much sleep that night!
Congrats on the sea robins, you'll have to share some tips. I'm still a fly virgin for that species. Many years ago as a kid flounder fishing [yes, THAT long ago - there were still flounder to catch] the grownups would curse the robins and be squeemish about handling them. I secretly loved catching them and looked forward to seeing them spred their wings and squack. Like the man said, if you can't catch the fish you love, love the fish you catch!
Old 09-24-2002, 12:31 AM
CantAnchorUs

Boy there were a lot of guys from this board at the breachway Sun. Sean was there, Nick to, KikeZ and JWee, now I learn Geoff was there too.NEAC was there with me. That makes 7 out of the maybe 25 that were fishing.
Slinger
Old 09-24-2002, 04:19 AM
Flats Rat

Steve

I would have been there too but someone told me it was going to be crowded :hehe:
Old 09-24-2002, 05:46 AM

Nine hours with one break

We took one break in a protected area over near Watch Hill- no waves- so easy to pull up and stretch our legs. Regarding the big stripers-not sure- unfortunately we did not get a chance to evaluate this. Regarding coffee- did experiments- and will post someday in Tips and Techniques (under 'Things not to do').

Needless to say we were a bit stiff as we got out of the kayak end of day.

It was impressive to see the line of guys over on the east wall of Weekapaug on Sunday morning. I counted twelve and all fly rods- one guy with a two-handed rod. There were three of us flyfishers on the west wall and several bait casters on the end. One bait caster sat down 50 ft from me and just stared at me as I cast for awhile. Wasn't quite sure what he was doing. Finally he got up and walked past out to end. It must have been a daunting sight for any baitcaster that ventured out on the east wall. How could one ever hope/try to get past 12 guys flycasting? I am reminded of video game of a frog trying to cross a busy four lane highway.

Geoff
Old 09-24-2002, 07:12 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Geoff,
I tell ya...the SOT is the way to go in the surf. Easy on, easy off. If you're gonna be wearing waders anyway, its the way to go. Wish I had known you were there, would have paddled over and said hello.

Nick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.