Rain on the parade... - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2001, 08:01 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Rain on the parade...

Wouldn't ya know it - Tstorms forecast for Fathers' Day. This may bode well for certain spots but the Rip Ryder shuttle is primarily concerned for the safety of it's passengers and thankfully will not risk shuttling people in lightning storms.

It's hard to say at this point but tstorms are most likely afternoon occurrences but that is not reliable. The forecast could be plain wrong, which would surprise no one. In any event we need to focus on Saturday or have a back up plan other than sight fishing on the flats on the refuge in the rare event the weathermen are right.

Of course the general area is crawling with fish, so even if we can't position ourselves as the highest object standing in water with graphite lightning rods in our hands, there will be plenty of fishing to be had on the big beaches, Pleasant Bay, Chatham area, south side, etc - depending on wind direction and conditions.

Another option is to trade Sunday for Saturday, for those like me who barter for time with family ;-) We just need to decide so we can get the early bird booked. Sat will cut an hour off our incoming tide (vs. Sun) but it's better than not being on the flats at all.

Any motions to refocus the early bird for Saturday AM in case the weathermen are right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2001, 08:11 AM
Dave

I am all most certain that I could do Saturday. Will confirm latter today.
Dave Williams
Old 06-14-2001, 09:18 AM
President of CAC

Juro, it looks like I will be down all weekend ,so I am game for whatever. Call me when you get a chance.
Old 06-14-2001, 09:31 AM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd
Juro, if I can't fish Sunday I only can get a couple hours very early Saturday(I hope). if I do get out, I'll be at the demo day at Scorton's. Tom D
Old 06-14-2001, 10:28 AM

Either day or Both. I'll be offline as of 6pm Friday. Do you think a decision will be made by then? If not would you mind contacting me by Cell if things change?
Old 06-14-2001, 11:55 AM
Here fishy fishy

Unfortunately, at this point I think Saturday's out for me. I will know better by tomorrow & can chime in then.
Old 06-14-2001, 12:53 PM
Recent Member

juro- You might also want to look at the surf conditions for over the weekend. I heard one report that the swells from the storm might affect the area by the weekend. Just some food for thought- nobody needs to go swimming because of a rogue wave. rel1(one who has been there without warning).
Old 06-14-2001, 01:32 PM

BTW -

I am only referring to the dedicated 6am charter to the refuge 2 hours before the crowd on a morning flood; there is lots of good fishing in the area regardless on Sunday and there will be several (or more) Forum folks working the area to hook up with on Sunday.

Because we need to plan in advance for the pre-emptive strike on the flats, the concern is only for the reservation to book the boat.

I talked to Rip Ryder and they feel it is too early to tell. So many reports have been botched this spring and even with storms there is plenty of time in between. Besides the storms have produced the best fishing recently with the exception of flats fishing.

Back to the regularly scheduled program...
Old 06-15-2001, 03:28 AM
bill

a guy was just killed in florida while walking on the beach and lightning reportedly came "out of nowhere".

juro can attest to the electrical conductivity of graphite.
if you feel your hair starting to stand on end, i'd suggest immediately getting low and dropping your rodtip.

in the words of the Hill Street Blues Sargeant,
"be careful out there!"
Old 06-15-2001, 06:58 AM
Middle Aged Member

I have received clearance for Saturday, if thats the way it goes.

Fred A.
Old 06-15-2001, 07:59 AM
Dave

Hi Juro,
I've got my buddy Bill to come along for Saturday or Sunday's trip to Monomoy. When do you think you'll make the decesion on what day it will be?
Dave Williams
Old 06-15-2001, 09:13 AM

The Westover weather shop says that the first batch of unkind CB's should not arrive until about 1600 Saturday...
He added that, off and on Sunday, standing out in open spaces waving graphite lightning rods would not be a good idea and likened it to flying and an aluminized mylar kite with 26# American Fishing Wire.
But he's been wrong before?!
I suspect that an early Saturday assault would be OK but plan on being done by 1500...Sunday is another story.
Do you feel lucky?
Regards,
Dirty Harry Callihan
Old 06-15-2001, 09:27 AM

Solo -

You are hereby nominated as official Northeast Region weather schnauzer. Being in the biz of propelling large metal objects into air for distance travel makes you best suited to providing information for us open-space graphite swingers!

One question: what do the oracles say about Chatham vs. western MA? I noticed that Worcester on west has a much more pessimistic outlook than Chatham does even on the same weather sites.

In any case, I think it's a no brainer to do it Saturday
Old 06-15-2001, 05:38 PM

Chatham vs Worcester...that's easy...Worcester sucks so bad that it actually effects the weather...besides that, you know the observatory dome near the RipRider put in...I hear the guy once worked at "area 51" and he's got an anti-matter particle-generator in there than minimizes CB activity.
GOFIGURE?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.