Weekapaug Weekend - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2002, 05:49 PM
CantAnchorUs

Weekapaug Weekend

The expected circus never materialised. It was a little crowded but all were well behaved. Score, Fri.-2 albies Sat.-3, Sun.-1. Bait was not as thick as earlier in the week, every kind of bait found in local waters is swimming in the breachway. Fish seem to be suckers for a size 1 surf candy bay anchovy, missed 3 hits today before I found that the hook point was bent almost up to the shank. Fish have been running the wall during the rise, once it goes high slack the fish disapeer.
Sean you should have hung around, fish came in pretty good just after you left. How`d do in the boat?
Nick, nice to see you again
Hope the hurricane heads west!!!

Slinger
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2002, 07:15 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Slinger,
Same to you.

Boat was not as fruitful. We hit some pods of albies, but seemed to always be a step behind. Didn't realize that you guys were getting some before we left. I thought they were all blues as I boated one and lost another. Oh well.

nick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2002, 08:52 AM
Flats Rat

Nick

I have to confess to making the same species indentification mistake on Saturday until one of them came out of the water. I must have thrown my bluefish popper at a half dozen or so before realizing the error.

Then two boils and two fish on

Quonny was pretty dead yesterday campared to Saturday. I ended up going out on the flats to get away from the bugs. Saw a couple of fish break in shallow water and another come onto the flat from the Channel. Other than that it was pretty dead - just lots of guys scratching their heads.

I'm wondering if the fish have been feeding hard under the full moon?
Old 09-23-2002, 11:42 AM

Hey Slinger, where were you in the line up on the jetty Sunday? I was the first flycaster on the end, the choice spot! I got to see close up the albies demolish mouthful after mouthful of silversides. They were picky though! I hooked one which I broke off at the end trying to drag it up the rocks. I only saw a couple others hooked.
The end of the tide saw an influx of surf casters who did not feel a flyfisherman had the right to tie up sections of jetties with thier backcast. After some words got spoke, the fun went out of it for me. Gotta quit my job so I can avoid weekends!
Old 09-23-2002, 12:08 PM
Recent Member

Slinger, thanks for the albie lessons at Weekapaug on Sat & Sun. Although I didn't hook up with one, I'm already itching to get more shots at them. Hopefully I'll remember everything you told me and find the time to tie more of those surf candies that you nailed them on this past weekend. I'll see you back on the breachway.
Old 09-24-2002, 12:18 AM
CantAnchorUs

Mike was that you in the red hat? I had on my forum cap. I went right over you with the one I got then broke it of trying to drag it up the rocks. I had a friend with me that never fished for albies before, I kept trying to get him to cast 30 ft in front of the fish then try to yank the fly away but he didn`t get it. Everyone wants to cast across the breachway! The fish are only 3 ft from the rocks, you need to cast almost sideways, drop it 10 yds in front of them and then strip like hell! Albies attack bait from the rear, racing up and gulping it, trying to rip the fly away makes them want to prove whose the fastest kid on the block!
Slinger
Old 09-24-2002, 07:09 AM

Yep that was me in the red hat. Funny, in the heat of the moment, I remember the guy with the fish on, but not what he looks like! I get pretty focused when the greenbacks are zippin' around at my feet!
I had the best seat in the house that morning, even if I didn't catch more than anyone else. I could plainly see the fish come around the tip of the jetty, head inside, the follow thier progress back out and around. One thing I found interesting which I had never seen before was the reletively slow and calm way the fish cruised after they left the kill zone. I could watch them just kind of slowly manuver into position, then suddenly hit the afterburners and streak into the bait in the familiar slashing action we associate with albies. Another thing I noticed which has practical value in regard to fishing technique was that I could anticipate the albies' arrival by the behavoir of the silversides. They always knew the fast ones were coming several seconds before I saw them. At the end of the tide, the bait just kinda spread out and acted relaxed as if they knew they were safe - and they were!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.