Cape Ann help - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-21-2002, 08:39 AM

Cape Ann help

I heading to the Cape Ann area with my wife for the day on Sunday. Any suggestion as to where I might try to pick up a few fish. There is suppose to be a sw wind and up to waist high surf. If this is the case where can I fish saftly and somewhat comfortably. I also hope to get my wife trying to throw a fly also.
Thanks Larry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2002, 08:47 PM
Wanna be striper bum

Well,

Since this info is all over some of the other boards I will post this here and without shame:

Go to Singing Beach in Manchester by the Sea and West Beach in Beverly (they are really close to one another). They have been choked with fish over the past few weeks. Look for birds.

The wife will enjoy Singing Beach. Parking may be an issue until after 4 PM but it may be worth the ticket!

Enjoy....
Old 09-22-2002, 07:31 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

That's consistent with what I have heard, but also think about Wingaersheek beach along the Annisquam River (around to the right), and Crane's in Ipswich has had a lot of busting fish recently as well. Not sure if these beaches are still charging parking fees but Wingaersheek is free after 4 until dark.
Old 09-23-2002, 06:03 AM

Thanks Guys
I ended up at Halibut point fot the afternoon. No bait, only resting birds and one short strike by a striper that looked like a twenty inch football.
Larry

Last edited by shadfreak; 09-23-2002 at 06:07 AM.
Old 09-23-2002, 01:57 PM

Larry,
Sorry I couldn't help out. I was so busy and didn't check the boards. But I was out Sat. and Sunday sweeping the whole shebang from Nahant to PI. with my son. I went by Halibut Pt. on Sunday too. Weird. The latest batch of fish seem to be on the lower half of the No. Shore now. There are more coming down from Salisbury too. Tons of bait in Manchester harbor too and nothing molesting it. I was out there with my son in the skiff on Sun.
Boat ramp works great. After cruising around all the islands we pulled the boat out. So with boat in tow we basically drove the coast (truck fished) and ate donuts and fried clams. Fun day but no joy on the long rod.
Here's one for Juro: Started crossing the causeway to Nahant. Birds working 300 yards down on the inside. Parked just off the rotary, geared up and sprint down the causeway to see the stripes pull away from shore and disappear before cast #1. Grrrr.... I actually love the fall though. The hunt.

Lefty
Old 09-23-2002, 05:17 PM
Wanna be striper bum

Lefty,

I concur with the thrill of the hunt. I cruised over to 1A on Saturday morning - in pursuit of stripes. The first beach I checked had three diving gulls. That was enough to convince me to head out into the water.

As soon as I hit the water some small bass started busting. I'll be damned if they weren't also moving along the beach at a pretty good clip.

After chasing them (high knee runs through the water) up and down the beach (North of Boar's Head) I just sort of stopped - admired the rising sun - and went home with a big smile on my face. Perhaps that smile was the product of satisfied hunter gatherer urges.

I scribbled a new lesson in my fishing log:

As soon as September 7th rolls around do not go to the Cape in search of stripers. Stick close to home and hit the North Shore.

North Shore fishing is a good time...especially in the Fall. In May and June and during the dog days I still favor the Cape though.

-Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.