Say hello in South County - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-2002, 10:01 AM

Say hello in South County

Me and my buddy Matt are heading down to South County tonight after work. Hoping to get out around Watch Hill/Napatree and perhaps check out Weekapaug/Quonny on Saturday. Forecast appears to be 2-4 waves with winds from the south so we'll see how the ocean looks. If you see two guys with an aqua- colored kayak please come over and say hello. I would enjoy meeting some more of you guys- unfortunatley can't make it to the clave. In any event I will let all you clavers know how we do.

tight lines

Geoff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2002, 01:32 PM
Flats Rat

Geoff

If you stop by Quonny tommorow from about 10 a.m. and see a few guys doing really strange things with even strnger looking rods (double handers) it will be me, Kenney Abrames and a few guys experimenting with spey rods.

Stop by and say hi!

I will have sensible salt water gear in the car and a blue WS Tarpon Kayak on the roof of my Jeep. If the Tunoids start busting I plan to be ready
Old 09-20-2002, 02:43 PM

I will definitely look for you Adrian assuming we decide to hit Quonny. I don't consider the spey rod strange in any way and even own a couple myself- one an 18 ftr - a rod my uncle from the UK gave to me. Unfortunately I don't have them in the car.

Ok- we'll look out for you.

Geoff
Old 09-20-2002, 08:42 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I wish I were going to be in the area, it would be fun to hook up with you Geoff and watch the salty Spey show! Unfortunately I am limited to a half day due to family obs. Adrian, I look forward to reading your report!

As you know I spent quite some time doing this myself in 1995 / 1996 upon moving back from the pacific northwest.

Say Geoff - what brand 18ftr do you have? Must be an heirloom.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:56 PM
Flats Rat

Greenhart maybe?

Now that would be a real man's rod!
Old 09-23-2002, 11:39 AM

Spey casting the breachways

It's a Bruce and Walker- not an heirloom just yet- but someday. I actually used it once during a fishing opportunity I had in Scotland. The gillie laughed when I took it out "That's for a great highlander!" he said. (OK- so I don't have the frame of a highlander) It is quite heavy to cast all day - especially if you have not kept your casting arms in shape as I had not.

I'm sorry not to have met up with you Adrian. My friend and I went out off of Watch Hill in the kayak and spent a good nine hours out there( I'm going to post a separate report on that) It was kind of choppy but we had fun and caught a few bluefish. We stopped by Quonny later in the day- quite a few people there. It looks like a bunch of guys stay right there in their campers.

I trust you had a good time with the spey casting. Those breachways seem ideal for it. Have you caught stipers, blues or albacore in that fashion?

I look forward to the next opportunity to meet up with you both.

Definitely have the saltwater bug.

Geoff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.