RI Clave Outline - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-17-2002, 10:41 PM

Talking RI Clave Outline

I made up some notes on an outline for fishing at the Clave. First I was going to give some directions, tonight I see that Nick has taken care of most, thanks Nick. For the boats there are 5 ramps that can be used.
1) State ramp at Galilee at Great Island Rd. which at the end of the escape rd. off rt 108 you take a right onto Great Island rd, the ramp is on your right. Very good ramp, from here you can fish The salt pond, and outside to either the East Wall, or the West Wall, Deep Hole all the places around Matunuck.
2) Charlestown Breachway Ramp which is inside the Breachway, this is shallow. From it you can fish Nimgret Salt Pond if it is rough on the outside. On the outside you can fish east to Green Hill, west to Fresh Pond Rock and beyond to Quonochotaug.
3) Quonochotaug Breachway ramp take West Beach Road, and follow it to the dirt portion which runs along side the breachway to a parking area, and ramp. This ramp is lined by rocks , one needs to have some one hold the boat when launching. This is right at the begining of the pond. This breachway is one that you do not go straight out, one has to go out just clearing the west wall. From here you can fish wet to Weekapaug, and east to East Beach, and the Charlestown Breachway.
4) Greenhaven Marina Expensive $10 in and $10 out, but fairly close to Little Narragansett Bay, and Napatree. Take 95 south to exit 92 at the bottom of the exit at the light take a right, follow to Rt 2, south on 2 till you hit rt1, take a left go under the railroad bridge take a right this follows along the Pawcatuck River which will be on your left. this runs into River Rd. around three miles you will go around a sharp curve which goes right, almost imediately, you will see 2 stone pillars, turn left onto Riverside Dr. about 200 yards you will see Greenhaven Marina sign on your left. A short distance from here to Little Narragansett Bay, and Napatree.
5) Barn Island Ramp , while I have never been there, here is directions from rt 1 at the railroad bridge. Take a right on Rt 1 follow until you go by a fire station on your right, take the next left on to Greenhaven Rd, take your next right on to Palmer Neck Rd. to the Barn Island Ramp. Be careful as there is some rocks near the ramp. This goes out into Little Narragansett Bay.
I hope this helps. In a couple of days I will post some information on kayaks, and fishing from the shore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2002, 01:06 AM
CantAnchorUs

Art, a nice new state ramp in the middle of Westerly, makes for an easy run to Napatree Point.
Steve
Old 09-18-2002, 06:08 AM

Slinger, It is a long run to Watch Hill, mostly 5 miles an hour, plus parking is real tough especially on weekends.
Old 09-18-2002, 05:25 PM

Just got a reliable fish report -

Slinger was into albies today. Knocked down two of them.
No longer a fly virgin.

Caught some blues and bass too. Where: South County on foot. Same area as the Clave

We'll, you going to tell us .... Steve?
Old 09-19-2002, 12:49 AM
CantAnchorUs

Word travels quick, you must have talked to Gerry, cause I just got in from work. Today was one of those days you dream of. Dawn at Weakapauge, east wall. Mostly good sized bass with blues mixed in blitzing on the outside, where the wall meets the beach, they were there all morning. When you got tired of bass just turn around, FA`s all up and down the breachway. When we left at 11:00 they were still packed in at the bridge. Got one that went at least 10 lbs., like being hooked up to a dragster, took all but 10 yds. of my 250 yds. of backing. Incredible fish!!! First time in my life I ever said " Forget about them stupid bass"
Got a new creation that I can`t wait to show you, should have a good supply laid in by the clav. Caught bass, blues and FA`s on it today. Could be my ticket to fame + fortune , maybe even a mention in the Journal! Gotta tie, gotta tie, then sleep but back there Fri.
Slinger
Old 09-19-2002, 07:28 AM

Smile

Glad Slinger has found what it is like to catch False Albacore. His report shows that we might be into prime fishing for the RI Clave. The thing that bothers me is the hurricane around Cuba. I shore hope it doesn't come this way.
Kayaks, If the weather is right I hope at least a few of you get the opportunity to fish Napatree to Watch Hill trip. Little Narragansett Bay is loaded with fish, I believe a large concentration of bluefish, with school bass mixed in. This has a lot of shallow flats, but be careful of the channel, there is a lot of large boat traffic. At Weekapaug if the weather is good one could carry the access on the west side of the breachway, if I am in the area we could put a couple of kayaks on my truck and I could save you a carry to the mouth. Quonochotaug one can launch almost any place along the beachway, or the pond. When the current is ripping stay away from the eastside near the docks at the bend one might get pinned aganst the pilings. You can cross to the westside. There is one little spot where I have seen kayaks in the little pocket with their owners fishing the west breakwater. The pond is always good along the flats on both sides of the channel. Good spot if it is rough on the outside. Charlestown Nimgret pond is a large shallow pond with a channel that runs right along the marsh with an undercut bak in many areas places where on the incoming tide the bass lay in the deep water along the bank where the bait drifts right into their mouths, some of the areas are 10 to 20 feet deep. Just before you get into the pond there is an old barge under water which is also a good spot. Like I said before I would like to see a buddy system for kayaks, at least two together. Don't want any accidents.
Shore fishing is something that is going tobe hard to keep track of as the fish run along the shore, and you have tobe in the right place when the fish come into the surf. The places are West Wall, quite a drive from where we are based. Charlestown Breachway, East Beach, Blue Shutters, Fresh pond rock, Quonochotaug, Fire district, Noyes point, Weekapaug, Misquamicut, Watch Hill Beach, Watch Hill Light, Napatree Point all fish real well, if the fish are there. This time of the year I lean toward Napatree. If you have the stamina to walk to the point( over a mile)there is usually acres of fish. I made my Napatree Express for carrying my gear. A folding shopping cart with tubes to hold two rods fully strung, floating line, and an intermediate. The whole beach from back of the Beach Club at Watch Hill out to the point is a good opportunity to hook into False albacore, or see them speed by.
Bass quite often run back and forth all day. Don't expect to be alone, especially on weekends. There is many chances to get into fish along this section of the RI Coast. I will do my best to get everyone the chance to catch something. If I can help someone please let me know. I want to hear some fish stories.:eyecrazy: I hope to have my cell phone on all weekend if my new charger works. I am hoping to have some kind of sign in at Weekapaug Bait and Tackle, please look around, they are now stocking some flies, show case right inside the door leftside.
Old 09-19-2002, 09:22 AM

Art,
I know we spoke of this before, but I'm still unclear as to if there are any ramps big or small (little sneaky ones) that I can get my 14' Aluminum boat into so that I can access Napetree?
IS there a marina in Westerly? How about Stonington? Too far to cross?

Lefty
Old 09-19-2002, 01:30 PM

Lefty I mentioned 2 ramps which are the ones to be used for Napatree Watch Hill area. Barn Island Ramp, and Greenhaven Marina. Look back on the thread. Slinger mentioned the ramp in Westerly. This is almost in the center of Westerly, very tough for parking on weekends, plus about a four mile run to Napatree. Lots at under 5 MPH as the channel goes by dozens of marinas. Large boats galore. Greenhaven is expensive suggest Barn Island, Striper where are you? I haven't used it but it comes recommended.
Old 09-19-2002, 03:15 PM

Thanks Art. Barn Island sounds like the one for me. Sriper?

Hey next THURSDAY NIGHT I'M PACKIN
Old 09-21-2002, 02:38 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hey Art,

I had a couple questions about Quonny.

What is the depth through the breechway at low?

You mentioned sticking to the west wall on the way out and NOT going straight out the breezeway. I assume you have to hug the west wall then along the beach for awhile to get out. Any bouys or markers out there for the channel if there is one?

Do you see any problems with a boat that drafts 3-4ft. Any Tide time limits? (Ie 2hours around low tide.)

Does the lot fill early in the AM this time of year on the weekends?

If I recall It seems one could launch, then go in towards the pond and go around the rocks and park in the sand? Then wade in.

Thanks,
Greg.
Old 09-21-2002, 03:06 PM

Albies were there today around the West Wall. Out of reach of waller's though. Action last about forty five minutes.

Conditions are looking good for next weekend barring any ocean storms.
Old 09-21-2002, 06:53 PM
Flats Rat

Talking

Albies were in Quonny this morning. First one took me into the backing twice then came off when I horsed it to avoid a cut line by converging power boats . Second one stayed on to be grabbed by the tail. :hehe:

Met up with Kenney A. and a bunch of guys to play with double handed rods. Lots of fun and some interesting sticks. Phil Barta had the 15ft Thomas and Thomas - absolutely yummy!

Wind was nice for big time roll casts. Managed to get chomped of by a big blue - they were herding bait periodically on the outgoing.

I've never seen so much bait! Really dense schools of baby menhaden as described by Slinger, silversides from 1 to 5 inches and mullet 6 to 7 inches
Old 09-22-2002, 07:28 AM

Greg, sorry I am late on the reply. Depth is not a problem if you go down the middle of the breachway, till you get near the piers, stay just off the piers, as on the right side there is a bar that goes out aways. When near the end of the right hand wall go out on about a 45 angle, DO NOT GO STRAIGHT OUT. keep within 30 feet of the end of the right hand wall going out. The lot fills early, and yes you can beach on a small sandy area, but it does have a few pebbles. The breachway has no buoys, the pond does have some markers showing the channel into the pond. Quite a few flyfishers fish the edge of this channel.
Adrian Glad to see you had fun at Quonny Saturday, I will bet my friend Bill was there, he is Mr. Albie. If he is around I know albies are there. Glad to hear you had fun trying the 2 handers. Hoping to see you next weekend.
Old 09-22-2002, 01:38 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Thanks for the info on Quonny, Art.

Looking forward to seeing everyone this coming weekend.

Greg.

Last edited by GregD; 09-22-2002 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-22-2002, 04:12 PM
Flats Rat

Lightbulb Checklist Extras....

We spotted large numbers of Potugese Man-o-War floating through the breachways. Probably normal this time of year but be careful - especially if you decide on a nightime assault:

Tentacles are very long and will get picked up on flies, leaders etc. If yaking - carry Papain (meat tenderiser), vinegar or you fav. jellyfish sting recipe.

I would have remembered bug spray but not this

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.