It's a Tuna - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Bluewater Extreme Test the limits of the fly fishing domain

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-23-2002, 12:27 PM
Mr. Mom

Roop

I be hattin' me some shootin' heads... I carry them for fishing the reefs, but I stick to full lines for open water fishing. The running line and connection is the main reason. I do like the mastery saltwater running line, but it's not cheap, and it floats. I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why a clear running line like the Rio intermediate is a good thing. Don't want to spook the angler I guess :hehe:

I bring down three spare 500 grain Depth Charge lines. I know that if I cut "about" 3 feet off them, it's "about" 50 grains. I say about, because the only time I had to do so in an emergency, it was strictly eyeballin'. I use them full lenght on the twelve and fourteen, and cut back on the 10.

I've never caught a Tuna in the sea of cortez on a fly longer than 4.5 inches. Mainly I guess because if they are feeding that freely, I'm throwing a popper! All my subsurface tuna have been on flies 3.5 inches or less. Usually after swithing flies 3 or 4 times and trying every technique I can think of too. First casts on approaching a school are always with a popper though. Gotta try or you'll never get one that way! Only problem is the rod I have rigged for poppers is the inshore 9wt. To quote one of the "fly-unfriendly" Pangueros from my last trip as I was battling a 22 pounder on the 9 (yes I did eventually get it to boga. Not easy) "Senor... I don' see no color yet. Been long time... You wan' go fish for somethin' else?"

Phil
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2002, 05:25 PM

had a great time, will be back out WENSDAY
used my 15 wt on the bigger fish also had the 12wt seem the 90+ fish were there. been to mexico a few years back did the BILLFISH tournment at palmers de cortes colse to where you stayed fly fish for tuna a lost a biggen captain was backing the boat down an I COULDENT HOLD ON, "SNAP" to much pressuer on my part. hooked a few bills my biggest was 120lb also broke a 13wt on one. had a great time will be going back again 2004 need to catch a BIG rooster.
"GOOD LUCK GOOD FISHIN'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2002, 06:07 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 2HandTheSalt
" Third cast ----- SPIDER NEST that stuff SUCKS!!

Hmm......now where have I heard that before?????

Don't forget to consider what you want to be holding in your stripping had when that hundred takes the fly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2002, 10:05 PM
Mr. Mom

Salty

Big roosters are cool, but it's definitely a case of they're mostly cool because they look good and don't eat... The fight is what you would expect from an ocean predator that cruises around for its food, but not one bit more. I can point you to an outfitter that really specializes in the inshore stuff if you do want to chase a grande rooster, and he will definitely be around 2 years from now. You want a real slugfest, get the captain to put you into a big amberjack on a reef. Unreal :eyecrazy: they and the cabrilla are why I bring down lots of lines.

Next time you hit the sea of cortez, blow off the cruiser and get a 22 foot open Panga. around 170 to 200 bucks a day, and the captain won't EVER back down on a fish. It's you and the fish... Period. Mid thigh high sides and no rails. The ultimate fish fighting platform for a bluewater fly guy. Plus if you bring out a novice it's fun to watch their expression when the captain floods the space between the front bench and the bow and uses that for the live bait well!

Oh yeah, the coolest thing about the east cape of Baja in the late fall is that you'll be casting to tuna that are being chummed, and sails just cruise on by picking off the chummed Sardina. No teasing, no trolling, just wait for them to turn away, lay your fly in their path, and if it looks like a sardina, you're on! The going away angle is awesome for hookups on sails. ALMOST guaranteed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.