Narragansett Bay Raffle Trip Summary - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2001, 12:41 PM

Narragansett Bay Raffle Trip Summary

The Flyfishing Forum sponsored trip to the ocean state took place Friday afternoon, June 8th. Lucky winners Diane and Jay Clancy arrived and were blessed with some beautiful weather and some Irish luck. Our resident journalist Juro, was unable to attend with prior commitments. He wished us well and gave us his blessing that our fly rods would be bent over like some watering wand looking for its source.

We eased the Whaler into the water at Colt State Park headed toward a northerly bearing. It was dead low tide, no activity....no birds in sight. Started fishing some structure off Rumstick Rock. Water had a nice green tint with 6 feet of water under us. Nada!

We headed toward the peninsular to a series of outcropping of rocks. Jay was the first to hook up on a series of blind casts. After a minute or two Jay succumbed a three pound bluefish. Still no bait in sight, we drifted for a couple of hundred feet and the sonar started to light up. Diane's prowess from the indoor casting clave put her fly on target to a four pound striper. Convincingly in control, she rested that fish to the boat. We drifted for a thousand feet or so and took numerous blues and bass on our first run. On the re-drift, not a sign that they were present. As fast as the action was... It shut off just as quickly. With no bait, we knew we had just gotten lucky with some transient fish.

With all the gear stowed we headed south with my son at the helm. At fifteen, he has only one boat speed. We reached Prudence Island in minutes. We drifted the rocks and ledge of Pine Hill. Nothing at the point itself, which had been hot the previous nights. Closer to the cove we caught a single fish, a three pound striper.

Off we went to the western shore of North Kingstown. On the mud flats we manage to take two sea robins on intermediate lines in three feet of water. Boy! are they ugly! They remind me of those character villains in the Gismo movies. Moved northerly about a quarter mile and Jay hooked up with a nice size bass. Took a few more fish there, then another change of scenery.

As luck would have it, we ran into the mother lode. Diane, Jay and my son Scott were perplexed. There's nothing showing on the recorder......No signs of activity of fish or birds.... No bait and the waters so placid. Trust me on this one guys and girls. Stripers are creatures of habit. If they know the foods being prepared every day at the same time ... they will be here. If you feed them..... they will come! To quote a famous movie line. Dad, What movie was that? my son asked. "Field of streams," of course.

As quietly as we could be, we motored toward a location. There's a swirl, then another! Diane and Jay were quickly into fish again. Jay at the stern seemed to control the bluefish while Diane at the bow located the bass. We caught and released fish not having to move more than a few hundred feet to find them again. Sight casting to exact locations of water movements put us ahead of the fish. Jay and Diane were dismay by the visuals of the fish behavior. I could tell from their expressions that it was stuff you only dream of.

As the hour wore on the bass and bluefish started to get selective. They were turned off by all our offerings. They seemed to take joy in the fact that they were baffling our intelligence. And right they were.

Sunset was now upon us. A beautiful majestic site over the fields and trees of the shore. Nature had once again display her brilliance to us. Allowing us to have front row seats to their circus of acts. We were all glad we had witness to it. As we puttered away in the darkness, the fish activity behind us continued. We had left the same as we had entered. As quietly and disruptive as possible.

Thanks again Diane and Jay ... for your kindness, friendship, wit, company, and cashews.

Our best wishes..Scott and Ray Stachelek....... Cast a Fly Charters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2001, 11:24 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Well Ray, what can I say? It sounds like Diane had a GREAT time on the "striper chariot". I wish I could have made it to do the photography, but Fridays involve a four-letter word for me... W-O-R-K >( I could have only made it on Sunday, Sat was a family B-day.

Say, are you getting the slammer blues down your way yet?
Old 06-11-2001, 12:06 PM

I'm glad Jay & Diane were the winners of the trip. Couldn't have fallen to nicer people!

Congratulations - hope to run into you two some time this summer.

Best wishes,

Roop
Old 06-12-2001, 05:01 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for the encouragement and kind words. Diane had a lot of fun and can't wait to get into fish out on the Cape. She even has taken up tying her own flies and they look very fishable .......yikes, watch out

Jay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.