albie Flies - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-16-2002, 05:23 AM

Question albie Flies

Those of you who have caught Albies this season what flies seem to be working.? Also are you using a sinking line or intremidate? Thanks for the info could be helpful for the Rhody Clave. FishHawk
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2002, 06:08 AM
Pencil me in.....

This is the one! with an intermediate ghost tip line....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	albie fly.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	836  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2002, 06:30 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Go with what they're eating... if you're scoping patterns for Rhody it's obvious with all the bunker around that they are targeting small bunker; jfbasser's fly looks awesome for the part.

Sometimes they are ripping silversides, or exploding pods of sand eels. I'd bring a couple of those imitators along as well.
Old 09-16-2002, 11:02 AM

I'm in a bit of a rut, but I swear by the various epoxy flies such as surf candy etc. They may or may not be more effective, but the confidence they give me makes me fish more efficiently. Small peanut bunker and medium to large silversides are definately the predominate bait in the Weekapoug area. Obviously flies should mimic these.
For line I've been using a clear intermediate which I've had so long I forget who made it. It will be going into the trash at the end of this season. After watching other fishermen, I realize I'm the only one constantly tangling in my basket.
I'm beginning to believe the sinking line is the difference between the guys who hook one here and there [like me, with intermediate] and the guys who hook up several times each tide. I'm talking shore fishing here, mainly the west wall and weekapoug. I think the guys who hook up often are hitting fish blind which are running too deep for the intermediate. That's my theory anyway. The alternative is that they're just better fishermen!
Old 09-16-2002, 12:32 PM
Secret:Time on the water

I have not caught one Albie this year on an Epoxy pattern. I have been using nothing but small Olive/White Deceivers with flash tied on the sides of the fly. This pattern has been highly effective around the areas where the Clave will be held. I have had several people on the boat with me that were casting different patterns and ultimately tied on one of my Deceivers and hooked up. I don't pretend to say that my pattern is new or innovative or the only thing that will work but it has been consistently effective. I will try to take a pic of one tonight and post it for all to review. Nothing complicated just a simple and effective pattern.

Mike M.
Old 09-16-2002, 04:27 PM

Talking

Thanks guys for your info. Can't wait to see the Deciever. FishHawk
Old 09-16-2002, 10:57 PM

Sorry,
But it is 11:53 pm. and I have to work tomorrow so I will have to take a shot of the Deceiver in the morning and then post it, but I promise I will post it. It isn't anything fantastic but it has been very,very productive.

Tightlines,
Mike M.
Old 09-17-2002, 07:25 AM

Here it is....................

This is a very basic fly that I just pay close attention to detail. Proportion, size, shape, color, all of these things are important to me. I tie flies that catch fish not fisherman!

Tightlines,
Mike Mayo
Old 09-17-2002, 07:40 AM

A Smaller version of same fly

This one is tied on a Daiichi #4 hook and is very small and sparse when they are feeding on the very tiny anchovies this is what I will go with.
Old 09-17-2002, 12:16 PM

Very nice!

Nice looking flies guys. Thanks for posting these pictures. I'm planning a trip down to RI this weekend and plan to give the hardtails my best effort. Your sharing of patterns is appreciated!

Geoff
Old 09-18-2002, 04:54 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks for sharing your secret fly Mike looks like a real killer. Hope we can make this Sat. FishHawk
Old 09-18-2002, 09:14 AM

To be producive from shore with albies, you have to have versatility in your fly design. Quite often the size of the fly is paramount, other times its motion. Very hard to predict their feeding behavior and appetite. Basicly sand eels, silverside, anchovies, and mullet must be reproduced.

The angel hair flies lends to all of these designs, but so do bucktails, deceivers, and clousers. Flies like angel hair and bucktail can be adjusted and trimmed on site to meet your requirements. Trimming deceivers becomes problematic with saddle hackles. Making adjustments on site widens ones chances and should not be overlooked. You have to play the cards you're holding in your hand. Quickness and accuracy are utmost importance.

At times we have taken albies with six inch flies. But this is not the norm. Fishing the West Wall, anglers use smaller versions of flies. Fish tend to run smaller there for some reason. Albies crashing the surface tend to be the easiest to catch. Direction of strip seems less important. Many dubble hookups occur under these conditons. Like Mike (striper) says, fishing deep sink lines from boats remains the most consistant means of successful catch rate. Very rarely do we ever have multiple hookups with this method though. Fish just seem to keep moving under this senerio.
Stripping the fly away directly in the fishes path path is key.

Not trying to sway anyone, but catches with angel hair the last six years have accounted for more fish than any other material. Look at tournament results.
Old 09-18-2002, 10:10 AM
Flats Rat

Interesting stuff!

Has anyone had any experience with Tuna hitting flies on the drop? This certainly works on yellowfin down Cabo way but I was wondering about up this way?

I know it sounds counterintuitive but after a Tuna (or lots of other game fish) smash through a pod of bait, there are usually a few wounded specimens drifting around which seem to get picked off fairly consistently.

I saw a pattern which looked like the front half of an anchovy which is designed for a no-strip presentation. Sorry, can't post a pic 'cause the cameras on the blink.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:50 AM

Adrian,
Took Fishhawk (Bill) out this weekend for his first shot at Albies. He hooked up once and his hookup was on a sinking dead drifted fly. Nearly gave him a heart attack when his line suddenly and abruptly shot out of his hands and into space. I would have to agree with Capt. Ray that the Angel hair material is a much more versatile material than bucktail, and looks even more lifelike than bucktail ever could. But I have not mastered working with this stuff yet and it is expensive stuff to use if you do not know how to work with it. Capt. Ray's flies tied with this material are pieces of art and should be under glass they are so beautiful, my same attempts with the material look more like something swept up off the floor under the glass case where his flies would be displayed. I have stuck with my small deceiver patterns as they work for me most times and are very simple and quick to tie. I am palying around with something that will work on these stupid Albies when they are this green crab hatch that is happening right now. May have to use a size 22-24 hook to match the hatch on these thing's.

Tightlines,
Mike Mayo
Old 09-23-2002, 02:17 PM

Thanks... Mike for the atta boy on angel hair fly design and workmanship. You neglected to tell the board you're a major stock holder in Castafly Inc. All this publicity sure helps our cause. We were up this morning on NASDAQ exchange.

Ocean front conditions continue to stabilize along the South County coast. Fishing is improving daily but more important it has become predictable. Art, Slinger, Mike, and a few others have to be witness to that. We wish we had Juro coming to the Clave, but that gives us a better chance now that the tuniod-a-nator will be on the West coast.

We bang 'em last Saturday. To reiterate an important fishing technique use your sinking lines. Mike will tell you too along with others including myself. It looks much like they are feeding at the surface because there breaking, but what they are actually doing in blasting like missiles from the depths. Everyone's getting fooled by the surface frenzy. This is classified stuff.

Here's proof!

Saturdays action around the West Wall lasted about 45 minutes. Plenty of peanut bunker bait but it soon vanished. Increasing winds may have been a factor.
Here are some reflections.
Dan

Matt

Dan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.