Suggestions for fishing video... - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-15-2002, 06:49 PM
Recent Member

Question Suggestions for fishing video...

Hello Everyone,

I’m new to this board, but I can see that there are a good number of fellow Rhode Islanders here…makes me feel right at home.

I’m just about to complete a new video featuring Lefty Kreh; although it features him fishing for stripers off Cuttyhunk, it’s not just about stripers, or just about flyfishing for that matter. Since I’m in the very final stages of editing I want to make sure I incorporate what the viewers will want to see. Any opinions?

What would you like to see in the ultimate fishing video?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	striperfocus5.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	835  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2002, 08:15 PM

Mike -

Knowing in what kind of environment your fly is in seems like important information for most of us. Ninety-nine percent of us never know what's below the surface. Wading and low tides helps somewhat to identify surroundings, but more visual help would be a plus.

For Rhode Islander's - Footage of the mouth of the Narrow River, Pt. Jude, Black Point, Deep Hole, the Breachways, etc., would go a long way educating anglers. Learning the topography, sea life, marine, and bottom structure certainly would reveal images not seen before. Throw in a few fish pics and you might have a hit. Video films are very entertaining to view. The power of photography, music, and special effects are great. Unveil the secrecy of our favorite fishing location blows the mind.
Old 09-15-2002, 08:24 PM

Mike.....Somemore thoughts: fly presentation techniques; reading water (flats/surf/open water); tidal influence; flycasting into the wind :-)
Ron
Old 09-15-2002, 08:54 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I would love to see bait of all key kinds swimming in their natural habitat, variable light conditions, from bunker to grass shrimp.
Old 09-15-2002, 09:13 PM
Wanna be striper bum

Perhaps if you took a cross sectional shot of a rip and detailed:

1. The structure that causes the swirling currents and standing waves present in most flowing current/rip locales

2. Some bass holding in and around the structure

3. Throw in a fly with a 350 grain line and show me how far up-current (distance X) I need to cast to get my fly down to the bass that is holding 10-15 feet below the surface of the water.

Then post a chart detailing distance x for various current speeds and water depths.

Pretty complicated but I would buy a video that provided info on topics 1,2 and 3.

Good luck!

-Mike
Old 09-16-2002, 07:05 AM
Recent Member

Thumbs up

Guys,

Thanks! You have each provided some great suggestions – I’d like to think we’re on the same page.

I selected Cuttyhunk because it’s not only a beautiful island steeped in history, but it’s also an island surrounded by every type of habitat imaginable. I made it a point to have Lefty prod each different structure: sand flats, boulder fields, channels, promontories, shallow water, deep water, the legendary current rips off Sow and Pigs reef and the tranquil outflow from the tidal pond. Every time Lefty describes how he works a different type of structure (and why), I show the underwater makeup of the area, e.g. current swirling behind a boulder on the down current side, creating an eddy, the edge of a drop off where stripers tend to patrol, etc.

We used the striped bass as a “generic” fish because the techniques that work on rockfish will generally work on most species of fish. Juro, you’ll be happy to know I included plenty of underwater footage that shows: mullet, sand eels, silversides, bay anchovies, crabs, lobsters, squid and a host of other “likely to be eaten” morsels.

The tips and techniques for fishing are delivered by Lefty in his typical, jovial style. He demonstrates how to throw effective casts with both sinking and floating lines. In fact, there isn’t much he doesn’t discuss…from knots, to hook sharpening, to fly selection, when to choose natural fibers vs. synthetics, size and pattern, and a few good jokes along the way.

I offer an underwater look at a multitude of species with a focus on how they feed -- I include footage of stripers, snook, sailfish, bonito, mako shark, dolphin, and even a look at a rare whale shark feeding frenzy. I also provide a short “celebration of fishing” sequence that takes you around the world in the span of one upbeat musical score. You’ll see fishing for sailfish, stripers, mako, dolphin, roosters, giant trevally, golden dorado, giant rainbow trout, salmon, fluke, pike, smallmouth bass, and I’m sure I’m missing a couple of other species.

This has been a huge undertaking and it has taken over five years to amass all the footage. I directed an Emmy Award winning crew to shoot the above water footage on Cuttyhunk and the images of Lefty casting are sheer poetry in motion. I didn’t want the video to bog down into a monotonous casting lesson, but with the creative use of variable slow motion, you’ll be able to extract what you need in terms of: how to load the rod, achieve greater line speed and cast greater distances. I’ve spent months editing this project and I’m striving for as close to perfection as I can get…that’s why I value your input.

BTW, the name of the library is, “Understanding Fish & How to Catch Them.” Volume 1 and 2 will feature Lefty Kreh and Mike Laptew and the next two volumes will deal with inshore and offshore species.

In the meantime, it looks like this is shaping up to be one of the best fall fishing seasons in years. The amount of bait around is unbelievable. I’ve never seen so many bay anchovies and the peanut bunker population has exploded. Good hunting and thanks for the ideas…keep them coming!

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bunkerawash3.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	837  
Old 09-16-2002, 08:12 AM
Flats Rat

Mike

Sounds like an awesome project!

I am also interested in what various bait species look like under water - I've seen lots of stills but nothing in motion.

What I would really like to see is how some of our imitations (flies) appear against a background of the real thing. Maybe you could pull that off too

Good luck
Old 09-16-2002, 08:27 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to 2HandTheSalt
Mike, my e-mail to you bounces. Can you send me one at: masssalt@yahoo.com

Grazie.
Old 09-16-2002, 11:40 AM

Ultimate Video

Quote:
What would you like to see in the ultimate fishing video?

Mike:

Last year I had a production company that was going to follow me on the White River for a few days. The producer called 3 days before they were to arrive and said she had a detached reitna and was temporarly blind. I caught 3 line class world records that weekend. We caught some of it on a home video, but the quality is really shot. Too bad for missed opportunities huh.......

John

PS: Let me know if you want some of that footage. Lefty is on his way to the White in October. I assume we will have some coffee when he gets here.
Old 09-16-2002, 12:06 PM
Recent Member

FlyFishAR,

Congrats on your accomplishments, too bad it wasn't captured as planned. Missed opportunities -- oh boy! -- could I write a book on those.

I did have the chance to fish and film in AR with George Cochran, two-time Bassmaster Classic winner. We had hoped to find some stripers in Lake Ouachita, but it was late summer and they were deep.

You folks sure enjoy some beautiful sweet water and pretty country. I imagine ya'll (poor attempt at speaking the local language) are seeing a lot more timber in the lakes and reservoirs. The water was pretty low there three years ago...how is it now?

Mike
Old 09-16-2002, 01:30 PM

Mike:

Missed opportunity is the word of the day in videography. One of my buddies just did a segment with ESPN and I got an ear full about it after the fact. "You should have been here last week". Timing is everything as usual. I recall some story about Billy Pate and Ted Williams fishing for tarpon. They hooked a tarpon that jumped and came straight in the boat with them. Billy had a small wooden boat at the time. The 180 lb tarpon began thrashing so violently that they both jumped in the water. Eventually, the fish beat out the side of the hull and sank the boat. Billy swam to the camera boat and asked how the footage looked. I think the phrase "film change" was muttered under their breath.

Let us know when Lefty's show is going to come out. I imagine we'd all like to see it. Especially if there will be some good underwater photography. Intresting video of fly fishing is definately in short supply these days.

Feel free to drop me an email if you like and I'll mail you some footage flyfishar@hotmail.com. I have to admit that my video mixing skills will not be up with yours though.

John W. Wilson
US Fly Fishing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.