Dave's first ?????????? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-15-2002, 09:32 AM
Secret:Time on the water

Dave's first ??????????

Here is a pic of Dave Surdel from this site who accompanied me on Friday out around all of my regular fall fishing haunts. Can you guess what he has hooked into in this picture???

Last edited by Striper; 09-15-2002 at 09:38 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2002, 09:37 AM

Were you able to guess what it was??? Well here is the answer, Dave's first Albie ever. When we met Friday morning Dave told me he had never even seen an Albie much less caught one. So this really put the pressure on me to find some Albies so that we could hopefully get him into some. Well we finally found some and Dave finally hooked and landed his first Albie on the fly. Dave it was a pleasure to have you along for the day and you are welcome to come along anytime. Mr. Doogue was supposed to have joined us but due to a last minute family snag was unable to accompany us out to the Albie grounds, Mike I hope everything is cool on your end and you are invited to come on down when things cool off.
Old 09-15-2002, 09:43 AM

Albies were not the only fish on the menu on Friday. Here is a pic of Dave with an early morning Sandy Point bass, these fish were right up on the beach feeding on peanuts and silversides. We literally had to put the boat on the sand in order to catch these fish. There were some real nice fish in and around the Sandy Point area before first light all breaK the surface and chasing the abundant peanut bunker. This all faded as the sun rose but what a great way to start the day.

Last edited by Striper; 09-15-2002 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-15-2002, 09:52 AM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
...nice one!...

Way to go Dave...Way to go Mike!!!
Did you launch outa' Barn Island? (narrow channel with hungry rocks if you wander...) It sounds like O'dark thirty is the time to dance with stripers...
Because of his overall dimensions, Big Dave makes the fish look small...
Judging from the bluewater background and the smile on Big Daves' face, it musta' been a great day on the water!

Last edited by Penguin; 09-15-2002 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-15-2002, 10:59 AM

Pete,
Barn Island was the jumping off spot for sure. These bass were in tight to the beach on the south side of Sandy Point as soon as we turned the corner. It was certainly a wonderful way to start the day and I just wish the fish would have stuck around a little longer. Dave got his Albie off of Wilderness Point at Fishers Island, which is where I also got my fish of the day. The Albies were definitely selective as to where they fed and what they fed on all weekend. I am hoeful that we see some more numbers of them filter in the next few weeks. There is no lack of hungry little bluefish, they are all along the R.I./CT. shoreline crushing the small bunker schools. We had them up inside the Bayberry Ln. marina area yesterday while coming in, just churning the water into a white and red froth. Awesome spectacle to say the least.

Tightlines,
Mike M.
Old 09-15-2002, 09:10 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Striper -

Totally awesome job getting the hardtail virgin off the schneide!

Dave -

Your smile says it all.

Very cool
Old 09-15-2002, 11:51 PM
President of CAC

Love it Dave... great picture!...you better make a copy of that one....
Old 09-16-2002, 10:40 AM

Deflowered...and lovin' it.

WOW! What a great 1st time fishing the RI/CT salt. Triton, sun, light winds and FISH It doens't get any better than this, fellas...

Learned a whole lot about tunoids on Friday from a guy who knows what he's doing. I was under the false impression that chasing pods of breaking albies would be kind of like chasing pods of breaking bass/blues. Behavior, presentation, and the all-important Murphy's Law Factor were all valuable tuna tactics learned by day's end. I'm still floored by how fast this fish got into the stringy stuff Now I am beginning to understand the addiction otherwise known as TUNA FEVER.

Mike, thanks again for your great hospitality, 6th sense for finding fish and photography skills. Hope we can do it again sometime soon (just say the word...)

-BigD
Old 09-17-2002, 12:07 AM

Dave,
You are much too flattering to be believed but I thank you for the kind words. It was my pleasure to have you along on Friday and I think I was happier than you were when you hooked and landed your first Albie. It gives me great satisfaction to be able to share my boat and experience with others and have them enjoy the same things I have enjoyed over the past 30 + years of chasing finned creatures. I look at every day out on the water as a new learning experience and never tire of observing and noting the behavior of the fish I love to hunt, I believe you can never know everything and there is always something to be learned from the fish and other anglers whether they are seasoned veterans or neophytes. Everything and everyone has something to offer, you only have to keep yourself open to all opportunities and possibilities. That is why fishing never gets boring or old, the day that happens I will plant myself waders and all in the garden for the worms to feast upon my useless body, kind of like fishing gone full circle.

Tightlines,
Mike Mayo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.