cigars and music - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 09-13-2002, 11:29 AM

cigars and music

I have loved following the serious topics that have been going on in this site. I have kept my mouth shut as it sometimes gets me in trouble on issues like that but I too believe that we have a greater responsiblity to be good stewards of the environment. And the FF isn't always about catching more or bigger and is about the whole experience which is something I think some people miss.

So on the whole experience topic. When you are out FF what is everyone's favorite music to listen too while in the car or at night and what are some of the favorite cigars.

Here are mine
Cigars Partagas #2 and Avo #2

Music it depends
Normal fishing locally I have the country radio station on or a country CD. Maybe some Dixie Chicks, Mark McGuinne,Mark Chestnut, or even some Garth on occasion.
Down on the North Umpqua it is Blue grass all the way with our Gin an tonics at night.

remember FF is about more then fishing. There are all sorts of strange traditions we have and enjoy.

JJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2002, 12:08 PM

Now we're talkin'.

Bluegrass while driving. Hoyo Monterey while fishing. Bunnahabain single malt at night.

Ahh, what could be better?

Leland.
Old 09-13-2002, 01:20 PM
Junkyard Spey

I don't know-

I dig the Chicks and bluegrass but when you start talkin in a foreign language about smokin and drinkin yer gettin to highbrow for me. I'll take some Prince Albert and a cold bottle of domestic beer.

Last edited by MJC; 09-13-2002 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-13-2002, 01:24 PM

Classic rock stations on my drive in middle of night to Michigan from Chicago, they have some good ones, you know about the Detroit Mo Town. Also have some decent country stations.

Cigars

I go cheap Dutch Masters the little ones, forget what they are called.

Liquor

Old Milwaukee beer and maybe a bottle of red wine. (The Old Milwaukee is for luck, had my best days steelheading 20 years ago when drinking this beer. Now a steelheaders superstition I guess.

Snakes (I know what not in the question, but what the heck)

Beef and deer jerky, michigan has some great stuff. Granola bars and raisins, some mixed fruit

Not much time for drinking or eating since I am usually on the river from sunrise until sunset.

Then I just crash to sleep and get up at 5 AM to do it all over again.

God I love this sport !
Old 09-13-2002, 02:00 PM

Music - eats - beer

I listen to the local country station or a CD by Chris LeDeux, Haggard or Willie. Beef or turkey jerky and a porter brew keep the hunger and thirst in check.

Rich
Old 09-13-2002, 02:01 PM

Cool

Antena on the old 86 station wagon has been broken off now for two years, lots of static. Tapes are worn out but used to like Jennifier Warrens signing Leonard Cohens " First we take Manhatten then we take Berlin" on the drive to the river.
I bow easy to peer pressure of good single malt and top cigars between 0655 and 0705. And lately I've been bowing somewhat to that green type of feeling one can get of looking down at the water moving by your feet after a fine smoke and shot on a wonderful wet cold winter morning on the river. But they say practice makes perfect so I'll let the peer pressure continue on.
Old 09-13-2002, 02:04 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Cubanos when I can get them! What a difference. Thanks to a few members I have come to appreciate this difference.

And there's nothing foreign about single malt if you're using two hands on the fly rod... they might have originated on the very same river!

I listen to the weather, the scores, and then just as soon go sit outside for a while, looking at the night sky in the deafening silence of the forest where the chatter in my brain is louder than any rock concert until the scotch and smoke quiets all that so I can "see" the river with better eyes in the morning.

I am invariably away from family at these times, so the 'music' of the love that makes a family what it is usually plays it's soulful contemplation into the moment. One part guilt, one part blue about being apart, ten parts appreciation for what I will go home to.

I am lucky to have the company of great friends about half the time I go on an overnight, so the flytying, the stories and jokes, the laughs and good times are just as much a part of the experience as the time on the water.

In any case Jeff you are so right - there is so much more to it than just the fishing!
Old 09-13-2002, 02:32 PM

As for music, give me some Steely Dan, Van the Man, and the Eagles.

But really guys I'm into my third day of a tobacco free new Life, and I don't need to think about good cigars.

Fred knows about those things, maybe he'll get into this discussion.
Old 09-13-2002, 03:06 PM
Chief of E.P.

Finally a topic we can get fanatical about

Music: Hmm, that depends as my tastes tend to be all over the board. Lately I have been on an old Bob Dylan kick while driving through the dark to the river. Throw in a little Steve Earle, some John Hiat, a little Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ era Bruce or possibly some Lenny Kravitz and I am fine. That is this week, next week will be who knows.

I'm guessing that since I just heard this morning that Warren Zevon has terminal cancer that he will be gracing my cd player for a while.

Cigars: Tend to like the extremes here. A nice candela honduran or a spicey maduro. I can't usually afford a whole box so I pick and choose singles or mooch off my more refined friends.

Scotch: Lagavulin or Glen Morrangie Port Wood Finish
Old 09-13-2002, 03:06 PM

Well, if it's radio then it's gotta be Motown of course! If it's CD's, then George Harrison and Eric Clapton anytime, maybe the Rascals for early in the day.

Any maduro from Arturo Fuente or Macanudo. Pipe tobacco from Captain Black (Blue wrapper).

A great Dutch beer - Grolsch.

Any good Canadian blended whiskey.

ws
Old 09-13-2002, 04:04 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Carl Verheyen, Frank Zappa.

Don't drink. Don't Smoke.
Old 09-13-2002, 04:26 PM

I should have added my booze preference in mine.

Yukon Jack can warm up a cold afternoon and it tastes sooooo good.

For after fishing give me a nice bottle of Red Wine any day of the week. In fact we floated the deschutes (8 of us) last weekend and the biggest hit of the weekend was the pepper bridge red. Yummy.

JJ
Old 09-13-2002, 04:26 PM
CND The Spey Underground

Ahhh!

Cigars... Cuban - Monte #4 or #2 for the evening, or a small Por Larranaga on the river. Scotch, definitely the MacCallan, or Lagavullin, or Bunahabain - geez - I'm pretty open minded about good single malt!

Music: I have a new stereo for the Martini Bar this fall and it is my plan to blast Dana awake at o'dark thirty with fully cranked Led Zep - Dazed and Confused! After fishing I think we'll mellow to Hendrix and Voodoo Chile'.

Still Living Large!
Old 09-13-2002, 05:12 PM
Middle Aged Member

Here on the East Coast for the early am ride- Gulp coffee, chain smoke cigarettes, and listen to traveling music like the Allman Bros, Dire Straits, John Prine or the Battlefield Band, played loudly. To keep awake, the heavey metal bagpipe tunes of the Battlefield Band do the trick. In another life a trip to the Cape would have been similar but instead of coffee it would be some domestic brew, also gulped.
Old 09-13-2002, 08:58 PM
Recent Member

New Guy Here
Gawd there is life after graphite.
Music
Bluegrass with Willie , Waylen, Hargard, and Hank jr.
Rock with Nick and the Lads (Stones), Hendrix, Lead Zep and
ZZ Top.
Cigars Cuban , Pre-Ban 5 by 50 for Dryline work and Churchhills for Wetline work.
After the day is done
Scotch, Single Malt over 18 years Port Wood Finsh
Eye opener
Black Jack by the neck

Butch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.