GLs - Football Rivalries - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2002, 08:58 AM

GLs - Football Rivalries

For you Michigan fly fisherman. Ever see Ohio and Michigan FF share a prime steelhead and salmon pool ? Believe me the football passions run deep between these two states as the story below indicates. In all of the years I have fished Michigan I have seen lots of Michigan and Michigan State hats and sweaters on the river, but the Ohio people stay low profile and I cannot blame them.

Note you also don't wear ND stuff when you venture into Wolverine and Spartan country, I learned that after living in South Bend for 7 years !

Found this on another fishing board:

On a tour of Michigan, the Pope took a couple of days off his itinerary to visit the shores of the Manistee River on an impromptu sightseeing trip. His 4X4 Popemobile was driving along the beautiful shoreline when there was an enormous commotion heard right around the Sawdust Hole. They rushed to see what it was, and, upon reaching the scene, the Pope noticed, in the water, a hapless man wearing an Ohio State football jersey. He was struggling frantically to free himself from the jaws of a 14 foot sturgeon.

At that moment, a jetboat containing 3 men wearing Univ of
Michigan football tops roared into view from around the downstream bend. Instantly, one of the men took aim and fired a harpoon into the sturgeon's ribs, immobilizing it instantly. The other two reached out and pulled the Ohio man from the water. Then, using long clubs, they beat the sturgeon to death.

They bundled the bleeding, semi-conscious man into the jet sled, along with the dead sturgeon. They were preparing for a hasty retreat, when they heard frantic shouting from the shore. It was, of course, the Pope, and he summoned them to a nearby gravel bar.

Upon the sled reaching the shore, the Pope went into raptures about the rescue and said,"I give you my blessing for your brave actions. I heard that there were some bitter hatred between the people from Ohio State and Univ of Michigan, but now, I have seen with my own eyes that this is not true. I can see that you fishermen represent a truly enlightened example of true harmony and could serve as a model on which other rival campuses can follow."

The Pope blessed them all and drove off in a cloud of gravel and sand.

As he departed, the harpoonist asked the others,"Who was that???!"

"That was His Holiness, the Pope", his buddy answered. "He is in direct contact with God and has access to all God's Wisdom."

The harpoonist replied, "Well, he knows nothin about sturgeon hunting. Hey, how is the bait holding up or do we need to get another one?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.