Ahhh, Circle Hooks - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2002, 11:14 PM

Ahhh, Circle Hooks

While I am still skeptical when it comes to the merits of these hooks on stripers, I have found that on blue fish they are great. No dropped fish, solid hook ups, all in the corner of the mouth. No need for the long pliers. Phew! I have been using the Mustads.
I want to tie up some for FA's, but any thing smaller than a 2/O seems to have a really small gape. The bait at Harkers Island is tiny. Those fish hit so fast, it seems that the circles would work well. Anyone have any experience?
I also have tied a few flies with the Varvias hooks. Expensive. Has anyone had good luck with these? Have they performed like circle hooks? I caught a bass today, and it stuck kind of deep.
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2002, 08:12 AM

Hi Eddie,
Hope your summer's been great - I've been using Verivas all year with excellent results (since I started doing a second strip set, I haven't dropped a fish). I pinch the barbs on all my flies.

Yes, they're a little spendy but I'm glad I made the choice.

Good luck with the FA's, etc.
Todd
Old 09-11-2002, 08:18 AM
NC Fly Guy

IMO

Here is a post I did back in February:
I have used circle hooks a lot for flies. Here are my general observations, not meant to be taken as gospel;
For fast swimming fish that take their prey whole and keep going at full speed, circle hooks can't be beat. False albies are one species that I really like flies tied on circle hooks. The main reason is that once the circle grabs ahold, it doesn't let go.
However, if the fish you are pursuing isn't one to streak off at top speed after it grabs something and will just gulp it down and then sit there with it, the fish will blow it back out either from it's mouth or through it's gills. I had a lot of trouble with striped bass blowing flies out their gills and then you can't get the hook out, even if it's barbless. It turns around in there and gets all hung up and the fish ends up dying, I don't use circle hooks for striped bass fishing anymore.
Actually, for albies this past season I used Gamakatsu Octopus hooks more than circles anyways.
I don't really use them too much anymore. The new interest is a new fad that will go away, I guess I was ahead of the curve.
Old 09-11-2002, 09:54 AM

So, Capt. Gordon, do you still use them for the FA's? What patterns and sizes worked well for you? A #4 circle hook seems so small.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:00 AM
NC Fly Guy

Owner

size 1/0 and 2/0 Owner Mutu Light. I used the octopus style hooks last year and the Eagle Claw guy send me boxes and boxes of their Stu Apte hooks, which are very similar and very sharp. As far as patterns go to
http://www.flyfish-nc.com/flytying.html
Old 09-12-2002, 08:08 PM

Thanks Captn. What kind of boat are you running? I'll be sure to RUN OVER and say "HEY GORDO!". Well, how 'bout I wave from a respectful distance.
Old 09-14-2002, 05:49 PM
NC Fly Guy

boat

It's a C-Hawk 245 with a hard T-top. I usually am wearing blue rainpants. Call me on Ch 69 on VHF, "Fly Gordon". I monitor 69 then switch to 72 to talk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.