Chatham-South Beach-6/9 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2001, 09:04 PM
President of CAC

Chatham-South Beach-6/9

Took off at 5 AM to start at the lighthouse. Warm this morning and tide was middle outgoing . Met Pete Gray (Solo) and we made acouple casts at the point -nothing, then went up the outside of South Beach and worked there for a short period then headed to the west side. Several fly guys and we began working our way south. Hit a grassy patch and fish were finning just over the grass area. Pete hits with a 33 incher. I lose a blue to a cut off and so does Pete. I then get a 27 incher and the fish are literally finning and feeding close to us. It quite down and the tide is approaching dead low.. More fly guys start coming in from Outermost and the Riprider. Place starts to pack. 15 or 20 bait guys show up and place themselves right at the drop offs. I figure then will be moving quickly to the dunes as the tide rises. Pete and I head out for our death march past the ferries drop offs. No luck.. Back to the grassy area and the fish start moving onto the flats. We see many fish but they follow our retreaves and turn off.. saw some really big cows. I lose one to a break off.. could have been a blue. They seem very skitish. Randy Jones is out there on his ladder with two other guys. They appear to be doing more watching than casting. We start back and get to cars at two... we figured we explored about 7 miles worth. Pete stays over at CAC and Adrian shows up about 8 and will stay the night.. We will be out at 4:30 tomorrow morning with one extra hour of the drop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2001, 04:31 AM

I have not been in that area on those flats for the last few days. To crowded for me. I've been in another area of the Cape working the flats with no one around, sight fishing all day. As you said and saw, lots of big ones out there and very fussy. Tides slowing, pressure, shrimp and micro eels will do that to them. Everyone is noticing the same thing. Time to start using July, August tactics on them I guess.

The person you saw was my friend Joey K. He has the ladder with the big wheels.

Best,

Randy
Old 06-10-2001, 09:26 AM
President of CAC

Sorry Randy.. did not get close enough. I know who Joey is ,I just mistakenly though it was you. Thanks for letting me know.
Old 06-10-2001, 02:52 PM

There was a hold up just north of Portsmouth NH...The masked male perp was wearing waders, was armed with anluminum ladder, and got all the cash and clousers... Allpointsbulletin...Randy, was that you?
Old 06-10-2001, 03:10 PM
President of CAC

Pete, I was saving this for my report later... But do you want me to explain your fish breath or should I?
Old 06-10-2001, 03:20 PM

The ride home was just fine...except for the lingering hint of low tide...'had to keep the windows open!
In the meantime, I think we have a fairly good grasp of not only what Mr. SandEel looks like but also how he tastes!

John...I had a great time and you will always be remembered with the likes of Lewis & Clark, Admiral Perry, and Capt Kirk! Anytime you go exploring count me in, oh patient sage!

Gotta' go brush my teeth AGAIN!
Old 06-10-2001, 04:32 PM

You can tell if its me because I'm the only one who has a ladder with X-mas tinsel hanging all over the bottom part. It flows nicely in the current and the suns reflection makes it look like a school of bait fish. It attracts' the fish over to Monomoy all the way from South Beach. (he-he)

I'm looking forwards to meeting you guys sometime!

Best,

Randy
Old 06-11-2001, 09:14 AM

Was down at Chatham light at 5:10am, drove into the parking area and then continued down the road towards Outermost Harbor and Ryp Ryder. Passed a couple of guys rigging up in pickup trucks on the road out to Ryp Ryder - should have stopped as it was probably Striblue. Waited around until 8am - surprised that the boats don't run earlier than 8am. Anyway went over to Outermost harbor and was on the first shuttle over to South Beach, actually sat next to Randy (on your right side). Got off at South beach and headed away from the crowds at the drop off point. I am not that familiar with the place, only fished there 2 other times. Got about 1/4 mile away and found a drop off. There were fish cruising in the dropoff right after the weeds - every now and then I would see the flash of a good size fish's side as it turned. Seeing fish helped out, as I was constantly doubting whether to stay or head off somewhere else. A group of about 6 bait guys showed up and set up directly on my right. I fished for a while and moved off futher south. No one was doing anything, but I could still see the occasional fish. The fish were not small either, all right around keeper size and larger. I had one fish swim up and startle as it got about a rod length away from my legs - it is a kick to see them swimming in the water.

Anyway I became discouraged and moved back up towards the drop off point. I moved in between two other anglers and began to cast. About 15 minutes later I snagged a 6-7" sand eel. I immediately changed flies to a superhair and flashabou sand eel imitation and 5 minutes later hooked into a nice fish that took me halfway into my backing. I got the fish back so I only had 1/2 of my flyline in before it took off again and brought me into the backing again. I eventually landed it and briefly measured it against my rod before releasing it. Nice 30.5" fish covered with sea lice.

About 15 minutes later I heard the guy from my left shout to his dad that he just saw a large fish swim past him. I cast directly out in from and began the retrieve. I don't know if it was the same fish but it took my fly and headed out for the deeper water. Once again I was into the backing and fighting a good fish. I could see this one as it tried to get away by thrashing on the surface. I kept backing into the shallow water and landed another 31" fish. This fish was also covered in sea lice. I briefly revived it and released it.

I continued to fish, but didn't catch anymore before I got abord the 2pm shuttle. I did see what I would estimate was a 36" striper cruise into the sandy shallows. There were small clouds of sand eels in the water and I saw more sand eels as the afternoon went on and the tide came in. Those deep sand eels would have been perfect in my opinion.

Went out yesterday morning and hit the east entrance of the canal, and then went out to South Cape Beach. Made the death march to the Waquoit jetties, which was a mistake. Nothing was going on, except for a bunch of bait guys that left a trail of trash in their wake. There were scratch cards, Heineken bottlecaps, trash bags, sandwhich wrappers and chip bags on the path. One of the guys at the beginning of the jetty took off his clothes and was doing his best 'Karate Kid' impression in the early morning sunlight. Nothing happening in the water, so I fished my way back. Did see a piping plover nest with a small hatchling, which was cool - forgot the camera though. Fished for about 6 hours - no luck.

Pete
Old 06-11-2001, 10:31 AM
President of CAC

Great report Pete..If it was Saturday you were referring to we probably saw each other.. It is fun to see all those fish and to see that they are not small. Maybe we can hook up some time and hit the water.
Old 06-11-2001, 06:59 PM

Striblue,

I was driving a red jetta - I did see a pick-up with a canoe/kayak rack on the back. I'll be heading down to fish on Sunday, called my wife earlier in the day and got the 'clearance' necessary to head down there.

Is there enough interest to get an early shuttle ride? It would be great to get out there before the regular shuttles start running. The only other times (other than Saturday) was during a weekday - I'd imagine getting a jump on the crowds, and more importantly another hour of fishing could be beneficial.

I am going to start tying up a few flies tonight.

Have a good night,

Pete
Old 06-11-2001, 10:20 PM
President of CAC

You could always get to the light house around 4 or 5 and walk out along the west side of South Beach and then take the shuttle back. I will probably do that.
Old 06-11-2001, 11:37 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Quote:
labrax (06-11-2001 07:59 p.m.):
Is there enough interest to get an early shuttle ride? It would be great to get out there before the regular shuttles start running. The only other times (other than Saturday) was during a weekday - I'd imagine getting a jump on the crowds, and more importantly another hour of fishing could be beneficial.

Pete
Pls see other post entitled "Monomoy Clave - Fathers Day"
Old 06-12-2001, 08:36 AM

Juro,

Yup, I got two threads crossed in my mind. I have responded to the other thread. Need to get a stronger dose of Ritalin.

Pete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.