9/7 South Beach Report - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2002, 01:56 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to JayM
9/7 South Beach Report

Exciting but still frustrating day at multiple areas of South Beach.

Caught the 9am ferry and met up with Gary (new guy on the board). Weather was almost perfect with an early afternoon high tide and some slight wind.

We walked the ocean side looking for the blues in the AM. Ended up catching a few small bass, but did not run into any of the blues mentioned on boards recently or by Keith. Ended up all the way at the southern tip where birds were crashing the water but had little success. Several other fly fisherman reported the same tough morning.

Turned to the inside and fished a very nice rip on the inside channel. Several of us took turns with no success. Tons of bunker and other bait just hanging out in a nice eddy.

Moved to fishing the flats but had difficulty sighting the fish due to the wind just being a little too strong (although there was no mung, thankfully). Around 2pm the wind died down but there was not the abundance of fish normally seen in the area. Had a good number of follows, but the fish were not "chasing" flies reguarly, maybe 50% of the time. They were very tempermental.

We walked the flats heading back to the pickup and found an area teeming with LARGE fish. Again, hesitance to follow. My friend decided to try some shrimp patterns and then, BANG, off to the races. Olive was the preferred color.

So, a good end to the day but not too much production given the miles put onto the shoes.

Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2002, 03:46 PM
President of CAC

Ahhhh yes..... shrimp patterns...way to go!
Old 09-09-2002, 05:00 AM

I was on the 8:00 had a similar experience that you did. Saw the large cows and had no hooks ups. I was good to see the Penguin again. What I noticed was that a the large bass were rooting on the bottom. Never tried the shrimp. That's fishing. FishHawk
Old 09-09-2002, 08:29 AM

I missed the first ride at 8:00 but took the next boat at 8:15. Headed to s.beach (low tide) and hooked up after about 15 mins. A small bass about 25" - 26" the only fish of the day Fished the flats at high tide and saw so many fish I lost count. I must be doing something wrong, I could not even get the bass to chase my fly. I'm getting the hang of it, identifying fish on the flats. All in all a good day and learning experience.
Old 09-10-2002, 05:11 AM

CSJ60 at least you hooked a fish ,your doing just fine. Good to see you again.
I will take John's advice next time and try a 2X tippet with a secret shrimp pattern. I might go with a floating line. Its fun but frustrating to figure out the puzzle. See you on the flats soon. FishHawk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.