Rhody Skunk - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2002, 03:32 PM

Thumbs down Rhody Skunk

I decided to give rhody another shot today and headed to the west wall first thing. There were some birds out a ways, but nothing close to the jetty and I didn't see any fish under the birds, nor did I see any of the boats hook up. There was some bait present in close, but not a lot, and no peanuts that I saw. I stayed at the wall until 10ish and then decided to move.

I had to choose east vs west and opted for east, stopping at Beavertail and Ocean Drive on my way to sakonnet. I was hoping to find the peanuts and stripers that I ran into on Thursday. The same area that was teeming with stripers and bait on thurs was devoid of life today. It may have been the tide, since I was there quite a bit earlier today, but either way I saw very little bait and no fish.

Hope someone found 'em today.

-Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2002, 06:35 AM
BB5 Survivor

Much the same.

Hit the Sugar Reef area in the early AM...good #'s of Blues...

(was told that there was good Albie action to the left & right of
us, but were sadly were in the "not-so-hot" middle.

Did run into some tunoids off of weekapaug (in tight to the beach)...and also Mike Mayo. He was fishing solo....(so much for all those "takers" he had on his offer). Nice to meet you Mike and sweet boat.

Other than a few striper follows from some rocks that Mike showed us, that was it!?!?! Apparently the day before, a guide friend of mine had logged 60 miles with basically the same result.

Was a beautiful day to be on the water though, and that cetainly beats work, which is where I am now.

Hope to have better success next week.

-jared
Old 09-08-2002, 11:37 AM
Secret:Time on the water

Matt and Jared,
Nice to meet you Jared finally, your boat is no slouch either, very sweet ride. Matt I am sorry I did not hookup with you or anyone else for that matter but see my apology post for the rest of the story. Don't give up Matt it is only going to get better and it is still early. Jared I went west from leaving you and basically found zilch, very weird but no fish west of where we parted company. I think you are right that it is still a little early and once the Albies really start to fill in it should be real good. I am glad you decided not to follow me west as it would have been a long ride back for nothing, I was ready to give you a call on the cell if I did find anything but alas it wasn't to be. That spot where I left you is fantastic save it in memory as it will be a go to spot later in the fall. We should also see some of the boat traffic start to thin out as time goes by, we still have alot of the weekend boaters out on the water. As time flies we will only see the diehard fisherman still out on the water and that is good.

Tightlines,
Mike M.
Old 09-09-2002, 09:16 AM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Well Matt you you have plenty of company, I too got skunked Sunday.

It seemed more so due to lack of time and small children, than lack of fish. Found plenty of suspected tuniods, But couldn't get close enough within the limited time. Alittle more than an hour on the water is, But a tease.

Seems 2 of my young fishing partners up before I awoke alittle after 5am, wouldn't eat breakfast and get ready until 7am. After waking my youngest up about 7, he exploded into tears and didn't want to see or look at daddy for almost an hour. Me and the 3 kids didn't get on the water and fishing till 10:30am. Having to leave by 11:30 to get back in time to meet the wife to beach it.

After seeing the breaking fish so close, even they were bummed out we had to leave. I reminded them about not getting ready when I asked and jerking me around all morning. We would have been fishing 2 hours earlier! It seemed to have made an impression, well see next fishin trip.

Probably created enough cortisol to need some corti-stop. Cortisol is generated by our bodies in response to high and prolonged amount of Anger, frustration, and stress and it can block formation of HGH, Testosterone, and estrogen when in high amounts.

Anyway lots of bait in the water in areas. Found the fish appearing to be bouncing around between clouds of bait. Watched an adventurous gent in a small inflatable, fly fishing offshore in 2-4 footers. He was right on the edge of breaking fish, got a great shot at some. Changed his fly after the miss/refusal and went back at it. I wish I had a quiet motor it really helps out for some stealth, mine sounds like Mr Limpett's howl when you give it a good dose of throttle.

All the boaters seemed like experienced fisherman and had no ill feeling towards any, abit of rarity on the weekend. Fantastic time once we got out although way too short on fishin time, and long on aggravation. Even so, it's always great to get out.

Tight lines,
Greg.
Old 09-09-2002, 11:49 AM

Nice report Greg, sorry you didn't connect. Were you out near Sakonnet by any chance?

The reason I ask is that I also saw a flyfisherman headed out in a very small inflatable on saturday down there. Seems like heading out into open ocean in something like that is just asking for trouble.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:22 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hi Matt,

You saw the same guy. He was asking for it I guess. He really seemed more in danger from some of the inconsiderate boaters though. He had to wave a guy down who was running full speed at both of us, then decides to go around. Problem was he was only 30-50 ft away from this guy. I was watching to see if he just ignored him and wiped him out or not.

He was so little out there it was kind of hard to see him till you got closer. I moved around pretty gingerly around this guy, so he seemed comfortable around me. We fished the same area for awhile and yes it was Sakonnet/Newport area.

Greg.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.