9/4 Rhody Report -- Skunked Again - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2002, 08:46 AM
_

Unhappy 9/4 Rhody Report -- Skunked Again

Hit the usual spots along the western RI coast and came up empty again. I'm begining to wonder if I'd be better off sticking with the freshwater fishing! Oh well, it turned into a nice day and I did have a few moments of excitement.

Started off by meeting up with ArtB at the tackle shop. He drove me around to a few spots while we waited for the rain and lightning to stop but we didn't see any obvious signs of fish. When it became safe to fish again we took a few casts from the west jetty at Quonny. Lots of mung, no fish. Then we tried the west jetty at Weekapaug and found cleaner water but still no fish.

After Art and I went our separate ways I decided to check out Watch Hill. I crossed the dune and went out on the jetty to look for bait. Tons of peanuts on the west side of the rocks but the water was also loaded with crud. I went to the east side of the jetty where the water was cleaner and started making short casts and stripping line off the reel. I wasn't paying attention as I stripped my line back in, and when I looked back down at my line I saw a 30"+ striper chasing my fly in the wash, right at the base of the jetty. We spooked each other at the same time and the fish headed for deeper water. I fished from a few spots on the beach and casted around some nervous peanuts for a while but didn't hook up.

I went back to Weekapaug and found a few signs of life. A couple fishermen on the end of the jetty were catching fish (blues, fluke, scup), and there were occasional splashes and slashes through the bait at the base of the west jetty. I stuck around for a while and had several shots at fish. They even blew up in right front of me for a few minutes, but they didn't want my flies. Bunny, deceiver, epoxy, clouser, crease fly and popper were all rejected. I tried fishing the edges of the bait, behind the bait, ahead of the bait, beneath the bait, slow retrieve, fast retrieve, steady retrieve, erratic retrieve . . . . Nothing. One of these days I'll figure it out.

Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2002, 09:09 AM
President of CAC

Q..no mung in Chatham....fish are there now.
Old 09-05-2002, 10:31 AM
BB5 Survivor

J...albies & bones in Chatham....cool....when shall we meet?

-j
Old 09-05-2002, 10:49 AM
_

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by striblue
Q..no mung in Chatham....fish are there now.
Good! Chatham was already in the plans for my next trip

Q
Old 09-06-2002, 02:35 PM

Quentin, welcome to the frustrating world of fishing Weekapoug! It is one of my favorite spots to see hardtails, although I only catch a few there per season. It is so exciting to see them slash around the base of the jetty, especially in clear sunny water/weather. However, as you found, they can be hard to hook!
For a "sure thing", blind cast at the West Wall. It's not too exciting, but you should manage at least one or two hookups when the fish are there.
To really get the heart rate up and the knees all shakey, camp out on the jetty at Weekapoug. You may not hookup all day, but you sure will get excited!
If I've learned one thing from watching the pros at Weekapoug, it is to cast cast cast! Don't sit and wait for for blitzes, just cast till you can't cast anymore! Most fish I hook hit when nothing is showing. Good thing too! I have a defective fly line which automatically tangles the second fish break in front of me!
Old 09-06-2002, 03:03 PM

stripers and bones in Chatam?

Who's up for a chatham trip tomorrow?
Old 09-07-2002, 08:33 AM
_

Quote:
Originally posted by mikez
I have a defective fly line which automatically tangles the second fish break in front of me!
I think I have the same type of line!

Q

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.