Fishing Spots In So.Cal? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2002, 12:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to Netwolf232
Fishing Spots In So.Cal?

I live in San Diego, Ca and am looking for any decent fishing spots nearby that I can fish with a 6 wt. I really have no idea if any of the lakes near to me are any good. I don't think there are any rivers nearby either. By "nearby" I mean within a couple of hours. Thanks for the help.
Andrew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2002, 09:36 AM

From my few visits to southern California I remember hearing about surf perch being a viable fish for light tackle. I also remember a magazine, maybe, California Flyfishing that covered a lot of different types/locales of fishing. I only had time on one trip to wet a line in your region so I can't add much info.
Old 09-04-2002, 09:39 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Per our recent discussion there is also the yellowtail and bonito fishery off La Jolla, etc. It sounds like you are asking about freshwater though?
Old 09-04-2002, 11:27 AM

Yes salt water fly fishing is catching on down in southern cali for the species Juro mentioned. I read an article this winter about it they were fly fishing in the inlets and surf for them near SD. I bet the beach scenery is great there to from what I hear.

Other than that suppose some trout lakes and bass lakes in the mountains are the only opportunity for FF down there.

There are a couple of other San Diego members of the forumn though who can comment better.
Old 09-05-2002, 05:10 AM
JD

I am in Huntington Beach so I only know a little of the San Diego area. Don't know of any rivers or creeks. That doesn't mean there are none, Just that if there are, they are not well known. Lake Quiamuca has trout. Most of the other SD lakes are managed for bass. There are a few local flyfishing clubs down there. Also check out Stroud's. They should be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 09-05-2002, 06:43 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

The organizations you want to hookup with for very localized information are San Diego Trout and San Diego FlyFishers.

sandiegotrout.org
sandiegoflyfishers.com

I was very impressed by SDT's interest in restoring steelhead at the extreme southern reaches of it's former range.
Old 09-05-2002, 06:17 PM

Thank you for the responses. I was pleasantly surprised by the San Diego Fly Fishing website. It is great to a forum like this!
Andrew
Old 09-10-2002, 07:00 PM

I think I will go out this weekend and try some surf fishing. I discovered a little flyfishing shop about 5 minutes away from my house. I couldn't believe it!!! They told me to eiter use sand crab flys or surf flies. So i'll see what happens and get back to you guys.
Old 10-03-2002, 06:07 PM

I've been out surf fishing twice now and nothing yet. I went down to a local beach that is rumored to have some decent fishing. I was using a sand crab and shrimp fly along with some surf flys. I think i'll go again this weekend and see if i will have any better luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.