Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rogue river fishing

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  New Spey 
#1 ·
Is there anyone in the forum who has had any success using traditional dry line methods on the Rogue?
Everything I read, says that you have to nymph to catch fish. I know one guide that does use an airflow sinking leader to swing egg flies and nymphs,
but nobody talks about fishing it with standard wets with a dry line. They say that because of the type of river it is the traditional wet fly swing doesn't work well.
I was there yesterday and started with a skater. I had to at least give it a try before resorting to nymphs. I did have one fish raise it's snout for my fly, but it didn't make the grab.

#3 ·
Well, first the bad news ..

You'll hook more fish consistantly fishing deep, even running a dry line (me/others 95% of the time), 15' leaders and heavily weighted flys.

Now for the good news: Last I heard they Corp. of Eng. will be dropping the river level from 1900 cfs to the 1000, or less, mark come the end'ish of September. Once you get to/below 1000-1200 cfs the river calms down and surface skaters will work very well in many areas of flat water.

Only pre-recommendation I have is 'empty your bladder' first. Watching a fish come up and take a skater can make you loose your water. :smokin: Also, with skaters, keep a loop of extra line in your fingers (minimum of 6" but a foot is better) and when you see the "take" drop the extra line. You'll increase your hook-ups considerably.
Fred

#4 ·
N.S. Yes it can be done I caught 2 On a Improved Govenor Sunday Evening .But I haven't figured this style out yet .If you want to put fish on the bank Nymph . I will be back on your water getting some lesson's real soon .Have they opened up 138 yet ?Are Summer's will take all same stuff that yours will . Don't give up . Casey Park will take off for October Caddis in a couple of weeks . Fred they are supposed to start dropping the 10th & finish the 20th . To 700cfs . Remeber what it was like a couple of winters ago . It might be time to start winter Vacation sooner .Fish-head:D

#6 ·
Fish Head,
I read that 138 is open and they are allowing fishing up into the camp water, but they are only allowing it on the road side. But they also said they expect the fire to be contained by Septeber fifth, so it could be opened every where after that.

I know I can put more fish on the bank nymphing deep. Most fish I catch on the Mckenzie are on a dumbell eyed, egg sucking leach.
My goal though, is to rely on it less and less. But I still will break down and nymph when I just have to feel a grab. I just wanted to know if anyone had had success with the traditional wet fly swing and It sounds like it is possible. So I will at least keep trying it when I get to the Rogue. I will probably use nymphs also, just because it is a three hour drive for me to get there and I hate to drive that far and not get any grabs. But then again my nymphing hasn't been much more productive.

Fred are you using an indicator when you nymph, or are you just watching your line? tried an indiator briefly the other day. It was a yarn indicator that they sell at the store. It had a nifty contraption that allowed it to be clipped onto the line. Only trouble is I mannaged to snapp it off on a bad cast. I really suck at casting nymphs if you want to know the truth.

#7 ·
Fred,

What size nymphs are you fishing in the fall, small I think 6 and 8s ?

I tied up some reeingineered Otis Bugs I want to send you but they are on size 2 hooks. Is that too large? Actually I tied these for king salmon.

Also can't wait to see your response to using Indicators. I think I know the answer.:D

Hal

#8 · (Edited)
Newspey/Hal on your posts.

Rairly use an indicator, then only when fishing short with a one handed rod. For me, anyway, strike indicators on a spey line really gum up the lines flow when casting. You can use the small ones, but you're out there so far you can't see the bugger anyway. So why bother.

With a dry line the water pressure will normally set the hook for you in all but the bottom portion of the swing. And as most spey rods (traditional's anyway) are so sensitive feeling the take in usually pretty easy. Suspect I'm still missing initial pick-ups so I'm striking late on the bottom sections of the drift.

On fly size, once they get the flows down to 1200, or less, I rarily use a fly over a size 6. More tipically it will be a double of a 6-8 for a trailer or a 8-10 (even a 12 hook) when the water's down in the 700-800 cfs range. The tiny (and sharper than heck hooks) usually set themselves so hook rate goes waaaaay up.
fae

Hal, forgot to add:

A size 2 hook would be a winter application. Major exception would be up on the North Umpqua with it's no weighted fly regulations. There you have to use a larger hook to fish down through the slots. Much of the N. U. is 'slot water' with a few short flat runs between. On the Rogue we've got far more open water water to deal with.
fe

#12 ·
Fish Head,
Yes I do go to Home Waters and have Talked to Al.
In fact after talking to him and Reading John Shewey's "Fly Fishing For Summer Steelhead" I started feeling like I needed to stick with the traditonal wet fly swing on a dry line.
Can you guys tell me what the deal is with the half pounders? I read an article that made it sound like they don't move much past Grants Pass, yet My body and I have hooked fish on the upper Rouge that are between 12 and fourteen inches. I talked to somebody up there who said they aren't really half pounders, but just resident steelhead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.