THE HOGS ARE IN!!!! - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2001, 10:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
THE HOGS ARE IN!!!!

The tackle busters are in the upper river. Reports from early this week are that there are 40 plus inch bass being cought regularly. I'll go out tomorrow evening and get the first hand poop. If anyone will be around the area it's most definately worth checking out. I'll be up there first light saturday a.m.. Best way to get there is RT. 95 to the 1st waterville exit, Kennedy Memorial Dr., To the bottom of the road. Just after the pancake house on left you'll cross a stream, next right then cross the Kennebec, left at light, through light at McD's + immediately cross bridge, Sebasticook R. , left into Ft. Halifax Park. Pre-revolutionary log fort will tell you you're at the right spot. Fish anywhere off the pint formed by the two rivers. Still haven't gotten to Popham the fishing is too good in Winslow!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2001, 11:20 PM
President of CAC

Chris.. I may look into that later this month. What's your read on the the tides / Are they a factor there. I have never fished there... About how far is it from Boston? Can it be a day trip?
Old 06-07-2001, 06:36 AM

Chris. I will be heading up there tonight for the weekend. Will be in a tan 13' square back canoe give a holler if you see us. Thats an incredible strech of river since the removal of the Edwards dam. There are very few rivers where you can stand in one spot and catch a smallmouth, rainbow trout, landlock salmon, brown trout, shad and 40" striper and see a six foot sturgeon leap clear out of the water. At this same spot over the long weekend I found an old sinker chipped out of stone turns out it was made by the native folks about 5000 years ago.
Old 06-07-2001, 10:14 AM
President of CAC

Tim, what a find... I am always interested in that stuff.. If we ever meet I would love to see that sinker. Can you photo it and send a picture.. just wondering.
Old 06-07-2001, 01:35 PM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd
watch out tim!!! I hear that the chatham anglers club has an spot just begging for a 5,000 yr old sinker. Tom D
Old 06-07-2001, 01:43 PM
President of CAC

Tim... don't listen to Tom. He may be right but I really would only wanrt to see it.
Old 06-07-2001, 02:56 PM

Maybe we can hook up down Chatam way sometime. Never fished much there, although every year I tell myself I will. We fish the Kennebec from Augusta up to Waterville. The head of tide is a couple miles above Augusta. It's a bit far for a day trip, just right for a weekend. It's well worth the trip besides the great fishing the river it self is a great canoe trip. It's even more impressive whe you consider that 30 years ago it was an impounded open sewer and a log debarking tool for the lumber industry. You can see some pictures of the river at http://www.gwi.net/~fks/ksalmon.html
Old 06-07-2001, 03:09 PM

Tim I'll be looking for you. I should be up there around 6:30 or so. Where is you final destination up here where are you staying?________Striblue At that point in the river the tides don't affect things. The only things that affect wading or fish will be run-off from rain or releases through the turbines. The alewives and herring are in so thick that nothing affects fish activity, in fact the big fish are chasing bait and thrashing the panicking bait on the surface. It's kind of like smallie fishing on a pond the way the sripers whack you fly. The temps have been fairly cool so the power draw has been fairly low and the releases have been a non issue. The head tide is actually just above Augusta. This location is about 3.5 hours from boston it really warrents an overnight. however if you are up for the drive the evening into dark is the time to do it then beat feet for home late.
Old 06-07-2001, 04:42 PM
President of CAC

Thanks to both Tim and Chris for this information... must photo copy and save.
Old 06-07-2001, 05:15 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Quote:
timwatts (06-07-2001 02:56 p.m.):
Maybe we can hook up down Chatam way sometime. Never fished much there, although every year I tell myself I will. We fish the Kennebec from Augusta up to Waterville. The head of tide is a couple miles above Augusta. It's a bit far for a day trip, just right for a weekend. It's well worth the trip besides the great fishing the river it self is a great canoe trip. It's even more impressive whe you consider that 30 years ago it was an impounded open sewer and a log debarking tool for the lumber industry. You can see some pictures of the river at http://www.gwi.net/~fks/ksalmon.html
Thanks Tim! Perusing the site elicited a deep response from me. The topic of restoration of our great rivers plays an emotional note with me, after a dozen years in the pacific northwest feeling rivers have been abused and then seeing the abysmal state of rivers in the northeast.

By the way is that your brother?
Old 06-07-2001, 05:16 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Chris -

You got me pretty cranked up about the big cows spraying adult alewives in the river! Sounds like something I would love to try. Maine clave anyone?
Old 06-07-2001, 06:53 PM

This hot fishing in the upper open part of the river continues until about July 1st. Then the fish move back down and stay in the lower Popham/ Sheepscot/ upper and lower hells gate.. Then it happens all over again in the upper river when the young of the year alewives that get pumped and trucked over the the dams into ponds and further up stream come down to sea. The river turns on again in abig way mid Sept throught mid october.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.