8/30 Rhody Report - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2002, 06:55 PM
_

Question 8/30 Rhody Report

Frustrating probably describes it best. First I couldn't find any fish. Then, at around 1:00 p.m., I found some but couldn't catch any (unless you count the foul-hooked baitfish and a single LDR snapper blue).

I started at Napatree at daybreak and there were no signs of fish there. I went to Weekapaug and didn't see anything there either, except for one school of blues that cruised along the beach to the west of the breachway. Loads of bait but nothing after it.

I decided to check out Quonny and finally found a bunch of fish breaking in the breachway near the lobster traps. I had plenty of opportunities to try to reach them, and managed to get a few casts into the mix, but no takers. This occurred during the last hour or two of the incoming (inside the breachway). When the current was still moving pretty good it looked like they were albies and/or bonito, with a few stripers mixed in. When the current slowed it looked like only the stripers stuck around. Just before I left a guy came over and pulled out a schoolie on a large rubber shad lure. I was trying to match the hordes of bait. Guess I should have tried something bigger and more obvious.

Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2002, 01:16 AM

Wink

Quentin- Lately I've been having luck with a 2 fly presentation. The point fly is generally a 4" black snake fly and the dropper matches the bait d'jour. Most of the hits are on the snake fly even with all the bunker around. Ron
Old 09-01-2002, 08:19 AM
_

Thanks for the tip Ron. I'll give it a try next time. It certainly couldn't hurt! Did the albies/bones hit the snake fly too, or just the stripers/blues?

Q
Old 09-01-2002, 12:30 PM
Secret:Time on the water

Quentin,
We fished from the boat yesterday, from Groton to Weekapaug and back. Nothing happening at Weekapaug but we were there early in the morning, lot's of bait. Went back to Watch Hill and the Bonito showed up and they were very willing to hit just about anything you threw at them, this always seems to be the case when it is rough. These fish were reachable from shore as the bait was all in close to the wash, not sure if you could have scored with the flyrod but certainly could have hooked up with the spinning rod. There was nobody on the beach fishing and we were within a cast of the beach right around the cove to the east of Watch Hill light and down along the beach there for about a mile. Too many boats though, made it very hard to get on the fish and keep them there, we managed to boat 2 Bonito and hooked up a couple of times. With less boat pressure it would have been a day to remember as these fish were just circling the whole area and feeding real good. Keep the faith buddy you will get into them sooner or later.

Tightlines,
Mike M.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.