Late report.....But some already know - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2002, 12:26 PM
Secret:Time on the water

Late report.....But some already know

I posted this on a couple of the other boards but thought because some of you don't frequent the other boards I would post here as well. I went out on Tues. off of R.I. looking for Skippies, Bluefin, Mahi Mahi, and any other willing pelagics. I had some info that they had been making some pretty consistent appearances. Ended up 1 for 3 on the day with this fish landed on the fly. Really a great fish to catch on the fly very hard fighting and fast fish for sure, much more strength than any Albie I have caught. Will be back out this weekend looking again if the weather isn't too terrible but it is looking pretty good for Sept. lots of bait and fish starting to show now.

Tightlines,
Mike M.
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2002, 12:34 PM
Fly chucker

Mike, that's a great picture. Congratulations on the fish. Do skipjacks work the bait like bones and albies, and is that how you found them (on top)?
Old 08-29-2002, 01:16 PM
President of CAC

REALLY NICE!!!!!!! (looks like Yankee uniforms though)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2002, 01:41 PM

These fish were just "waking" or "finning" on the surface the day we found them. They do smash bait like the other small tunas as we saw this last year, but this year they were off shore quite a ways and there was no visible bait showing up. I had to throw ahead of the fish and then strip very fast to get the fish to take but if you did this they easily took the fly. Very difficult clearing the line to fight these fish as they really take off at light speed, almost impossible to keep from getting knots in the line as fast as it comes up off of the deck. A stripping basket or line tamer might have been of some help but maybe not???

Tightlines,
Mike M.
Old 08-29-2002, 02:16 PM

Mike, One trick I learned at Harkers last year was to turn the rod upside down and point it at the fish if you see a knot heading for the guides. The idea is that with a straight rod the knot will travel down the blank since the rod is upside down, rather than hanging up on each of the guides.

It won't work all the time, but I've seen it work a few times, so it's worth a shot.

-Matt
Old 08-29-2002, 05:17 PM

Thanks Matt great idea if you see the knot coming but these fish take your line so fast you are lucky if you don't lose every guide on the rod. It all happens so fast you cannot believe it, nothing like the many Albies I have caught, these fish are from a completely different neighborhood and play by different rules for sure. They are true Tunas in my book with their speed and strength hard to beat em' on any tackle pound for pound. I still love Albies and Bonito and of course my most favorite Mr. Striped Bass but these fish are unreal.

Tightlines,
Mike M.
Old 08-29-2002, 05:53 PM
_

Quote:
Originally posted by Striper
. . . these fish take your line so fast you are lucky if you don't lose every guide on the rod.
Or have the rod come apart at the ferrule(s) and lose the top half (or more) of the rod!

Gotta love a fish that can be relatively small, yet so fast and powerful that it tests the limits of your equipment!

Q
Old 08-29-2002, 06:22 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thumbs up

Beautiful skippy! Congrats, Mike and thanks for the visual.
Old 08-29-2002, 06:40 PM

Mike -

Isn't that fish just a regular albie done up in Photoshop? I can remember you tell me how profienct you have become using that software.

Never caught a skippy in my life. Newport is just to ritzy for my blood. Great catch! Glad you could document it without taken your word for it. A certain person is CT might be envious of you right now.

Nirvana!
Old 08-30-2002, 10:43 AM

Thanks guys,
Have wanted to get one of these things on the flyrod since last years spinrod caught Skippy. Really a hoot on the flyrod and similar to a chinese firedrill. Ray it's legit buddy no Photoshoping here, I just wish I had cleaned the lense first so it did not come out foggy. Ray I think we may have to do a repeat of last years Rhody trip again, that was truly a fun day and thing's look to be even better this year. I will keep you updated on the action. Juro Newport was definitely happening this past weekend with alot of different pelagic creatures in the mix, I guess I can say it was Newport now as several other fisherman have already posted the location of all of the action as well as Saltwater Edge. It will be interesting to see what this blow does to all of the action??? I hope it has a positive effect and not negative, the weekend is looking rather ugly for the boat crowd, but considering what I saw in the wash at Weekapaug last weekend you all might want to consider that shoreline as a place to fish this weekend. Tons of bait and large fish right in the wash. I am waiting to see if the forecast changes any before deciding what to do this weekend???

Tightlines,
Mike M.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.