Boston Harbor - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2002, 05:42 AM
Reel Dream Charters

Thumbs up Boston Harbor

Thursday, August 22, 2002: Margy Koepke, her son Max, Margy's brother Bruce Fox and his son Christian spent the morning fishing for blues on light tackle. We found a small school working bait just after low water but only picked up a few before things got really quiet. A call from Capt. Gene Kelly alerted me to the fact that the blues (bigger ones) came up again in the North Channel area. These fish were less picky than the ones inside and feeding on larger herring. At the top of the tide, we found more blues (smaller ones) in Quincy Bay. However, these choppers were somewhat finicky due to the amount of small baitfish (most likely silversides) they were feeding on. After trying a number of different baits, I found that the 31/2" Rainbow Trout colored fin's fish on a 3/8 oz jig head worked the best.

Sunday, August 25, 2002: Today turned out to be a beautiful day on the water and a great way to spend my last day of summer before returning to work
tomorrow. We found a nice mix of bass and blues off Deer I at first light. When the action slowed, I ventured beyond the North Channel and explored along the rocky coastline near Little Nahant Harbor and Bass Point. We found a mix of bass and blues churning up the water, gorging themselves on peanut bunker and minnows. I used an 8 wt. with a fast sinking line and a small bunker pattern. When the blitz was over, we headed south to find more bass and blues from Great Faun Bar to Winthrop. I switched to my 10 wt. and a larger half & half fly. Both fly patterns were gray/lavender over white and both were equally effective today. As the tide came in, so did the clearing skies following light NW winds. By 10:00 am things got very quiet outside and inside, as well.

Wednesday, August 27, 2002: Haven't been on the water since Sunday, but fishing continues to be strong for both bass and blues. Some nice keeper bass have been taken on both fly and light tackle outside the Harbor from Faun Bar to Nahant. Plenty of bait remain and this bodes very well for a great fall season. I certainly miss being on the water every day and live vicariously through reports of guides lucky enough to continue fishing during the week. I look forward to my weekend charters and have simpatico with others who are also relegated to weekend fishing.

Until next week, we'll see you out there...

Capt. Wayne Frieden
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maxk.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	780  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.