Egg fly pattern - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2002, 04:15 AM

Question Egg fly pattern

For fall trout fishing, how importanant is this fly and do you use it ? When do trout begin to spawn in the northeast ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2002, 11:08 AM

Browns and Brooks - October and November

Better check the laws many of the NYS trout rivers and lakes are closed after September 30th as I recall from my years out there. Same in the great lakes where I am now

Rainbows spawn in the spring - March/April

Egg pattern is OK, but you might want to try and egg sucking leech pattern also as they are very territorial and will strike these many times more frequently than an egg pattern.

If you are in Cooperstown you should head up to the NY Lake Erie tribs, like the Salmon and other rivers in western NYS. Get into some steelhead, salmon, and lake run browns. You will forget about trout probably like I did after you get into these bigger trout and salmon species.

Good luck

PM
Old 08-29-2002, 12:14 PM
_

Question I'm confused???

I know brown trout are fall spawners. Not sure when brookies or rainbows spawn. This thread says rainbows spawn in the spring, but the Swift River thread says rainbows are starting to show up on redds now. I'm not trying to start trouble, I'm just curious.

Q
Old 08-29-2002, 12:37 PM

Brookies are fall

Non andramous rainbows are spring

Steelhead (andramous rainbow trout) come into rivers in fall in many rivers but do not spawn until late winter and spring

Browns are fall

Pacific Salmon are fall

Atlantic Salmon are fall

I will put my 42 years of trout FF experience on this.

If the Swift river had rainbows on redds in August, I am not saying it is not possible, but it is definitely an odd out lier statistical situation. Could it have been an atlantic salmon ? What river does the swift empty into? Now that would be possible there and would be great for U.S. atlantic salmon recovery in New England.

Heck any trout on a redd in August would be odd.

Back to work

Later

PM
Old 08-29-2002, 04:48 PM

Smile

PM,
Most rainbows do span in spring or late winter but there are rivers where this is not true. One being the Firehole in Yellowstone Park. Those rainbows will spawn in November and December. I'm not sure why but it could be that the river temps and pH are entirely different from most rivers due to the thermal activity.
An interesting story about these fall/winter spawning rainbows is that back in the 80's the state of Montana stocked two different varieties of rainbow in Hebgan lake out side the park. When they reached spawning age they would migrate up the Madison R to the falls on the Firehole. The first year these fish spawned in April but each year after that they would spawn a month earlier untill they reached spawning time in November just as the native rainbows of the Firehole spawned. Now some of the fish they stocked in Hebgan lake chose the South Fork of the Madison which does not connect to the Firehole R to spawn. Those fish still spawn in April like most other rainbows. So one would have to guess that river conditions may play a part.
Also have heard it said that rainbows from the southern hemisphere spawn in our fall but thier spring and if you transport these fish to the north that they over time will switch thier spawning time to our spring.
Got wonder about the river make up where this was reported? Also wonder if these fish mentioned that were already dark and on the reds were sterile, it has been mentioned before that sterile fish will try and spawn and it's always at an odd time of year from the rest of the trout population.
OC
Old 08-29-2002, 05:46 PM
BB5 Survivor

Swift River in Ware, Mass

Definitely rainbows...definitely on redds....strikes me as a little earlier than usual. I'd have to check my logs on that one, but they've been doing it for as many years as I can recall. These fish are practically all hatchery plants so who knows how screwed up their internal clocks might be.

-j
Old 08-30-2002, 09:21 AM

...swift

The rainbows they stock in the Swift have actually been bred to spawn in the fall. MassWildlife reckons that with the healthy resident population of native browns/brookies, the rainbows could reproduce naturally as well.

I think the state does quite a bit of experimenting with the fish in the swift. Don't know about others on this thread but I have caught fish there that look like a cross-breed between a rainbow and an adolescent brown trout. The result is what looks more or less like an adult golden trout with a blush on the gill plate. My guess is this is what happens when a native fish and a clone procreate.

Now let's stop talking about the Swift before it gets MORE crowded! :hehe:

Agree with PMFF about fishing the Ontario tribs. I'm going up in November for the big browns and steelhead - IMHO the hardest fighing fish that swims. If you go, leave the bamboo at home, RTF...

BigD
Old 08-30-2002, 01:38 PM

Hybrid rainbows that spawn in the fall interesting, not many rivers have those, but I could beleive it. The only fish I have seen on redds in August have been early spawning king salmon, and very few of them.

BigD

Yes steelhead are probably pound for pound the hardest fighting fresh water fish in NA, which I am sure many of the steelheaders on this forumn will attest to. Once you get some experience with them they are like a cult fish, you don't why, but you cannot get enough them and keep chasing them in lieu of other species. Good luck on the Erie tribs, I hear there are lots of big metal heads and some great lake run brown fishing. Probably better brown fishing than ours here in Lake Michigan.

PM
Old 08-30-2002, 09:25 PM
_

Quote:
Originally posted by pmflyfisher
Yes steelhead are probably pound for pound the hardest fighting fresh water fish in NA, which I am sure many of the steelheaders on this forumn will attest to. Once you get some experience with them they are like a cult fish, you don't why, but you cannot get enough them and keep chasing them in lieu of other species.
Don't tempt me!
Q
Old 08-31-2002, 07:39 AM

I wouldn't consider myself an authority but.....

speaking from what I know about my local river.

Generally rivers that have rainbow or "steelhead strain" stocking programs of any kind, will have fish that spawn year round. Years ago in our infinite wisdom towards genetic diversity we traded stocks with NZ, Patagonia, and many other southern hemisphere countries. Much like the stock trading program that AR had with WY with small mouth for Snake River cutthroat. The resulting trading back and forth has given us a stocked trout that has spawning tendencies year around. The native species will spawn in the spring, but you can thank stocking for the fall spawners.

John
Old 08-31-2002, 08:02 PM

Q

I don't know what I would do if I lived some where that I did not have a decent steelhead river within an hour drive of my house like I have since 1980 when I moved to the mid west. I recommend not trying steelhead the obsession can get expensive and it does not go away for most people.

Ask Juro.

Hal
Old 09-01-2002, 09:39 AM
_

Hal,

I should be ok as long as I don't read any of the reports from the Salmon River :hehe: . As I mentioned before, it would take about the same amount of driving for me to reach the eastern area of the Great Lakes as it does for me to go to Chatham on Cape Cod, and I can do that as a day trip: 8 hrs of driving (round trip) plus 8 hours of fishing still allows for plenty of sleeping time! I may just have to invest in a NY fishing license next year!

Q
Old 09-01-2002, 10:07 AM

Another plus on egg paterns....

Generally an egg pattern is BRIGHT in color. Since I can't get too close to the bigger fish I like the fact that I can see an egg pattern from close to 100 feet away. This allows you to put the fly directly in the feeding lane of the bigger browns (which do NOT move). Fishing midges and the like you have to pretty well "guess" where your fly is and look for the gill flare. With egg patterns you often can see the "take" unfold.

I also like the way trout "notice" egg patterns. When they are feeding on them they pick them up visually often 20 or 30 feet in front of them. They almost "perk up" with enthuasistic anticipation. Their eyes dialate, their tail makes prepatory movements for a slight adjustment in the feeding lane, their dorsal fin comes off their back for sability of the move. You can almost feel the change in pressure of the bow wave.

ok ........ I just realised that I may be a little obsessive about fly fishing.

John
Old 09-01-2002, 11:22 AM

John,

We already know you are obsessed, but thanks for the detailed description, steelhead will do that also when they attack a fly.

Q

You must be young, I used to do the one day trips to michigan 3-4 hours of driving each way and about 8-9 hours of own river no sandwich break hard core steelhead or salmon fishing. To old for that now always spend at least 3 days now. Your right though if you are in the Berkshires you could make it there in 4 hours driving. Got to give a try when you are ready. For your first time steelhead fishing I would recommend a guide though. Check out Randy Jones, Yankee Angler, he is up on the Salmon rivernow. I was to stubborn to hire a guide when I started in 1980, being a long time trout fisherman I thought this should not be to different, just bigger trout. Well that was wrong, took me two years to land one, but I did hook up on my first attempts just did not have all of the techniques and knowledge down.

Just don't blame me if you catch the steelhead obsession.
:hehe:

Hal

P.S. Since this thread started out as egg patterns, I went to my local fly shop on Friday to pick up some materials, had not been there in 5 weeks. Owner showed my some new egg patterns he got from michigan steelhead and trout guides. Look very interesting. Not seen them before, but they are going in the fly wallett. Soon. Simple to tie also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.