Fly Fishing Forum banner

Swift River 8/23

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  jared 
#1 ·
After talking the boss into an early friday departure, I made it to the swift around 3pm. Fished the FFO section, and as I had hoped the high water had started to spread the fish out a bit.

Located several nice fish in the first slick I fished and noticed that many of them were already paired up with the hens on their redds. Noticed a lot of people casting to the hens too :tsk_tsk: As usual, microscopics were on the menu and the fish were leader-shy. Stuck with terrestrials and nabbed a small native brookie loitering under a bank. Wish I had my camera - the coloration on these fish is incredible.

Worked my way up to the Y-pool and witnessed the usual throng of anglers pounding the water. With some creative wading, I worked away from the crowd and picked up a nice 18" 'bow in full spawning colors. Saw one other fish caught before moving on.

Hit one final spot on the way back to the car and found a well-concealed pod of rainbows working behind some deadfall. After missing a few takes, picked up one on a hopper and called it a day.

Just a beautiful summer afternoon to be on the water.

BigDave

See less See more
#3 ·
John - not even the defense crab could convince them to bite on Saturday! Still enjoyed exploring the outer limits and finding that tidal pool and monster rip - even if it was a LONG walk. Looking forward to meeting up again for the fall migration & thx for the CAC invite.

#4 ·
Nice report. It sounds like you really earned the fish that you caught. Isn't it satisfying to catch fish from a stretch of river that gets pounded so hard?

I'm going back to my sight fishing spot on Thursday with Puck. I had a long drive back from a family wedding in Maine yesterday and my mind wandered about novel patterns. I tied a few upon our return last night, and if they prove effective I'll put them in the archive. Either way, I'll post a report. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.