Temple Fork Rods? Any good? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2002, 01:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to Netwolf232
Temple Fork Rods? Any good?

Does anyone have any expierence with the IM6 Temple Fork
2 piece rod or any other Temple Forks rod? I have heard different things about them. I need a good beginner to intermediate rod and if these rods do what they say then it might be perfect for me. Thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2002, 08:09 AM

I've got a 4pc 6wgt. - bought it this spring and like it so far. extensive testing to begin this fall before the ducks show up...
Old 08-26-2002, 10:41 PM

Thumbs up

Best rod on the market for the $$$.I have several models including a 2 piece IM6 8wt that was going to be a "back up" rod.I like the way it cast so much I found I used it more than most of my other rods costing many times more.It's landed well over 1000 salmon up to 35lbs so far.For the price you can't beat them!
Old 08-27-2002, 08:30 AM
Flats Rat

Great value!

I picked up a 4 pc 9wt in the spring and love it - as good as the Loomis GL3 at less than 1/2 the price!

I subsequently bought a 5wt and 7wt. So, 3 rods for less than 2/3 what I paid for my Loomis GLX. I've only cast the 7wt a couple of times but it fels like a real Cannon

My only gripe is that they come in a cheap see thru plastic tube which is not crush proof. I'm sure if I look around I could find something reasonably priced.
Old 08-27-2002, 09:01 PM

Thumbs up

The Ti rods(available in Canada) come with a very nice carrying case.
Old 08-28-2002, 04:22 PM

Thanks for the responses! I am looking into getting a custom rod built but if that dosn't work out I have decided on a Temple Fork rod. Thanks
Andrew
Old 08-28-2002, 04:46 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Netwolf -

On a related topic, do you ever fish for yellowtail on a fly out there in SD? I worked w/ General Dynamics (Montgomery Field) as well as Rohr (Chula Vista) and stayed in the La Jolla / Del Mar area. Seemed to be a lot of good small inshore tuna action there!
Old 08-28-2002, 04:53 PM

I am actually going out friday for some albacore and maybe some yellowtail if we are lucky. We are going to use mostly trolling rods. But there will be some fly rods on the boat that we'll throw in if we find any kelp patties. I hope to catch something on a fly rod though. I have never tried inshore for tuna. What area did you fish when you were down here and did you catch anything?

Last edited by Netwolf232; 08-28-2002 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-28-2002, 06:04 PM

Unfortunately I did not fish while there but am kicking myself now! I did see spear-fishing divers and kayakers coming in from the kelp areas off La Jolla Cove with nice yellowtail mumbling something about wasabi

After my stint there was done I learned that the area has a very active kayak fishing population.
Old 08-29-2002, 12:20 AM

I had a friends realitive who used to do guided canoe fishing trips but i dont think he ever did any fly fishing. I am going to check into that. What an expierience that would be, to catch a 25lb yellowtail on a flyrod in a kayak! What a fight!
Old 08-29-2002, 01:49 PM

I keep reading about these rods. Who makes them? Are they available in Washington State? I'm always looking for a deal on rods.
Old 08-29-2002, 03:29 PM
Fluff

Might as well chime in here.

www.templeforkflyrods.com

Quite a number of us have test cast/purchased; these rods are well on their way to becoming a market player, IMO. My first experience with TFO was two seasons ago - I've been a fan ever since. Website given on chance you can find dealer in your area.
Old 08-29-2002, 09:02 PM

Thanks,but thats not it. After I wrote what I wrote I went and surfed the web but I didn't find what I was looking for.
Old 08-31-2002, 02:46 PM

Got back from fishing yesterday, caught a 35lb yelowtail on 15lb test! Great fight. I threw in some flys but didn't get any hits. All in all it was a great day we caugt about 12 fish (4 Yellowtail 8 Albacore) brought home about 80lbs of fillets.

On another topic I just ordered my rod. Should be here by next monday. I ordered the IM6 9ft 6wt Temple Forks rod. The person even gave me free shipping! What a deal!
Thanks for all the help guys!
Andrew
Old 08-31-2002, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DFix
Might as well chime in here.

www.templeforkflyrods.com

Quite a number of us have test cast/purchased; these rods are well on their way to becoming a market player, IMO. My first experience with TFO was two seasons ago - I've been a fan ever since. Website given on chance you can find dealer in your area.
As you know, we ask all direct plugs of a non-sponsor to be followed up with an email to suggest becoming a sponsor (see announcement for details). Otherwise it would not be fair to the businesses who do support us. Please CC sponsorship@flyfishingforum.com with your email so we can give you credit if they decide to help us out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.