Much needed rain - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2002, 03:19 AM

Smile Much needed rain

Well Up-State NY has been getting rain for the last few days, more rain then we seen all summer long. Now I aint no rocket sciencetist, but this weather pattern from hot humid and no rain for weeks to cooler rainy weather is gotta get the trout fishing to improve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2002, 10:49 AM
Flats Rat

Relief at last ....

I fished the Housatonic on Saturday and it was a joy to stand under pouring rain! The daytime temperature barely got into the 60s. The rain tapered off after lunch and from about 2:00 p.m. until dark the fish rose continually under the dark skies.

The trout seem to be making a move out of the refuges as the temperatures fall. They are certainly hungry. I have averaged four trout each evening with countless small mouth bass to keep the interest up.

Many of the feeder streams are still bone dry and we need a lot more rain to get things back to normal but, this has been a welcome start.
Old 08-27-2002, 03:07 AM

Good deal Adrian ! I'm glad you are catching trout. I will give it a go next week for the very first time for trout on a fly rod. I have been activily flyfishing for pan fish and having a ball.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:50 PM

Rain,what's rain. Here in the PNW. We haven't seen any of that stuff in quite a while. The woods are drying up and the river/streams are getting smaller.
Old 08-29-2002, 11:13 AM
Fly chucker

Today (Thursday) through the weekend we have a substantial amount of rainfall. It's a welcome sight here in Connecticut and should help out our very low river systems.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:54 PM

Here .........have some of mine.........

With the Bull Shoals Lake at 35 feet above power pool, and the surrounding lakes at around 30 feet for most of the summer, I'm sick of rain. Where is it written that 1/3 of the country has to flood and 2/3s have to be in drought. Will someone please call the man in charge and straighten this out!! I haven't fished hardly at all in 8 months. Gawd, I'm becoming an internet junkie. I hate to tell you guys this but when the water does go down you'll probably not see me again for a while. I am soooo going fishing.

John
Old 08-29-2002, 10:21 PM

John,

Please we know you are trying to dissuade us off from coming down for your fine Arkansas trout fishing. Besides this is a fine oppurtunity to refine your high water trouting techniques. Doubt if you will land many trophies in that high water though.

Hal
Old 08-30-2002, 03:46 AM

Well our weather has really changed big time from dry summer heat to wet fall conditions. This thing could be a good thing

Sorry to hear about the rain down in AR Hope it improves.
Old 08-30-2002, 06:05 AM

There is always a silver lining but......

Just yesterday I was talking about the conditions with our guest speaker coming to the FFF Conclave in October. The bright side to all this is that the conditions have been so tough for wade fishermen that the areas are basically untouched. The fish that we would normally lose to herons and other predators are now huge. The fish that we would usually lose to high water temps over the summer are 90 miles down stream and fat. A friend of mine that lives on the water was saying that late in the evening he has seen 30 inch fish rising like you would expect to see 16 inchers. So I guess that the silver lining is that the fishing is about to be the best it has ever been. But it sure has been tough on my guide business in the mean time.

John
Old 08-30-2002, 08:03 AM

John

So it appears this fall and winter could be a once in a life time trophy brown trout fishing opportunity down there. What if it keeps raining though ?

Hal
Old 08-30-2002, 08:55 AM

Hal:

I probably haven't mention this as yet but I am submitting to be an IGFA Certified Weigh Station. I fully expect to have some line class records over the next several months for my clients. Not to mention that I have (had) my eye on 3 fish that 8 months ago were close to 50 lbs. With all the water and closer to the spawn they may be close to 60 by now. One could only hope. Can you imagine a 50 lb fish on a 5 weight rod? **shudder** The end of October is the beginning of our rainy season. So our window of opportunity may be a little short. If it starts to rain again I'm going to invest in a boat.

John Wilson

PS: I finally got that video down to 3.2 meg. I'd make a lousy producer.......lol
Old 08-30-2002, 12:43 PM

John,

I was just at my local fly shop. The owner said the White river is about a 1,000 miles from Chicago. I could do that in say 15-16 hours driving I think. When one of those 50 lbers moves into a pool we can reach and is feeding, give me a 24 hour email alert message.

Hal

P.S. If you have to work and cannot guide me, just point me in the right direction. :hehe:
Old 08-30-2002, 05:19 PM

Hal:

If you could find it I'd certianly tell you the spot. If you are willing to invest 30 hours of driving the least I could do is give you a shot at them. If not a 50 lb'er would you settle for a whole bunch of 20 lb'ers?

John
Old 08-30-2002, 05:25 PM

John,

A few 10 LBs would be a great trip, a 20 LB = AWESOME,
30 LB+ = PRICELESS

Hal
Old 08-30-2002, 05:30 PM

Hal:

Just to put things in perspective here.....anything over 12 lbs will be a line class world record. I didn't realize how many of those we had caught and released until recently. Would just a plain ole line class world record be ok if I can't get you on the "all tackle"?

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.