Norwalk - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2002, 08:53 AM

Norwalk

Did anyone hear that on this past Sunday the beaches from Sherwood Island to Compo were closed down for a while due to large schools of BIG blufish running the beaches? I heard something about it on the news but I was in the other room and it wasn't all that clear. A friend left me a messege on my cell phone Sunday and all I heard was yelling and laughing and the sound of gulls and terns in the background. I figured they got drunk or something and were just goofing off but I got another messege last night indicating they were in the middle of it all when they called. I guess it to be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2002, 08:36 PM

Did not hear that but I've been busy. There are tons of 2-4 lbers. I did hear of one guy who was reeling in a 18-19 inch schoolie on a beach in Darien that got bit off by a large blue. As in bit in half. Gators obviously made an appearance if true.
Old 08-26-2002, 03:29 PM

Witnessed

I was in my little 16ft'er this weekend and witnessed the bluefish blitzing in Westport all the way to Southport. Saturday I pulled up in front of Sherwood Island ( only one other boat in sight! ) and as far as I could see was foaming, frothing whitewater!!!! I would honestly say that there was close to 6 or 7 acres of fish!! We had 4-8lb fish on every cast for 2 full hours before they left. The fish showed in that area all day popping up sporadically for most of the day. I think the longest we had to wait was 10 minutes before they showed themselves again.

Sunday was the same thing except the pods were smaller and the number of boats were much greater. I never saw a bunch of non ethical yahoo's in my entire life! Some guy in a 21ft Regulator was full throttle into every school that came up???!! I felt like sticking my foot in his........ I'll be nice. Anyway the weekend was a blast. My arms are sore and I got a little nip on my knee from a feisty blue ( no stiches needed ) but who could ask for more fun? My friend and I must have landed over 100 fish over the weekend. Great fun on light tackle.
Old 08-26-2002, 04:28 PM

I sorta stayed away from the area because I'm in a yak and this was the w/e of the WICC. Could've only be trouble for me.

I'm hoping the gators start showing up soon.

Jim
Old 08-27-2002, 08:17 AM

Gators

Pleanty of Gators around lately. Hard to find with all the boat traffic though. A friend of mine landed a 20lb+ Blue last week on a small popper and a 7wt! It took close to an hour to land and they had to chase with the boat so it would not spool him.
Old 08-27-2002, 10:07 AM

That's a gator all right. Starting trying to throw together a few poppers last night. Good thing they ain't fussy.
Old 08-27-2002, 10:46 AM

Soon

Hopefully this weekend I can pick the new vessel up so I can get out even when it's snotty. Bad weather is sometimes the best time to fish since it keeps the "fair weather" guys off the water. There has been alot of good size bass around too lately if you know where to look. I saw a 28 inch fish the other day and have had reports of fish in the mid 30's being caught. Hopefully things will burst wide open in the next few weeks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.