Autumn Steelhead or Salmon Fly Swaps - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-2002, 10:23 PM

Autumn Steelhead or Salmon Fly Swaps

What happened to our fly swaps ?

Everyone must be fishing.on vacation, or getting their kids ready for school I guess.

I would be interested in participating, don't know if I have the time to be the fly meister (coordinator) though due to the hellish work schedule that is before me. Plus it is football season and will be following my sons HS team weekly games.

Any body interested ?

Hal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2002, 07:40 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I'd be interested but swaps are typically most popular during off seasons - mid-winter for instance. Frankly with my work schedule, family demands, etc - everything I tie this time of year goes onto a tippet!
Old 08-25-2002, 11:50 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Ok, you twisted my arm

Want me to meister one? Only ONE condition. We set a timeline and it's FOLLOWED!!!!! No more of this (yes, I'm talking about YOU SPARKEY ) "give me one more week". I'm game to meister if you'll all abide by timeline.
Old 08-26-2002, 01:14 PM

Yes I know what you mean Juro, our best fishing time of the year is almost upon us.

Steelheader69 there will always be some people that cannot make deadlines, happens to me at work all the time, even with senior executives, can you beleive that ? Yes I guess we can after Enron, World Com, Andersen etc..

I would be willing to participate though
Old 08-27-2002, 11:51 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Miss deadlines?????

What?!?!?!?! Nahhhhhhhhhhhh. lol If I miss a deadline, it's my butt in a sling at UPS (probably because it's a money back refund if we're late). So I am pretty anal about getting things done on time (and from what I know of you Hal, you're pretty quick about getting things done as well, so don't play coy with me MISTER) :hehe:

If there's enough interest, I'm game to host. I'm in process of tying up what's left of an international fly swap I just hosted (it's weird that I'm ONLY US fly swappee, rest are UK/Europe). Should be interesting.
Old 08-28-2002, 12:11 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I agree, some of the recent swaps (not just steelhead) got so beyond the deadline that it was unfair to participants.

We should adopt a gentleman's agreement that swap participants hold to an agreed upon date barring unforseen circumstances, etc. If anyone feels they can't make the date they should wait for the next one so as to respect the other participants who make the effort to meet the given date.

And don't forget the extra fly for the swapmeister!
Old 08-28-2002, 09:30 AM

Steelheader69

Ok, I am in what is it an autumn steelhead or salmon swap ?

Just make it ten participants max and with a due date that wil allow us to actually apply the flies to our home waters this year (2002).

Thanks,

Hal

P.S. Jerry your right I am usually always on time it is many of the people I work with who cannot deliver that I must deal with. Delivering on time was learned at 18 years old in a USAF fighter interceptor squadron (Iceland). See link below. When the colonel was always asking why all of his fighters were not flying from the control center upstairs, it was easy for him to come down into the hangar and inquire to his 2 avionics technicians what the heck is taking you so long, etc... The russians are testing our NORAD air defenses (100 times the year I was there)and you guys better get your act together. One gains a fast understanding of what delivering on time means, no matter what the weather or duration of time you needed to work through to meet the objective. Oh yes there was no such thing as sick days either !

http://www.keflavik.af.mil/85gp/index.htm
Old 08-28-2002, 11:25 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Hmmmmmm

How about a salmon swap? They're starting to come into rivers now. Make it your favorite salmon bug for whatever salmon you prefer. May tie up a chum fly I use. Sound good to everyone? 10 max sounds good too. What do you think? Say, flies by first of October? I know it only gives a good month, but seriously speaking. It only takes a good hour or so on the bench to get 10 flies out (unless they're really intricate) and a week max to get to me.

Now, where's the participants??? Maybe Juro can swing this post on the Pacific Salmon board as well.
Old 08-29-2002, 09:59 AM

I'm in and ready to divulge a GL king salmon producer from my super private fly wallett.

I have a number of big boys chase this baby down and then bring me down stream with them on their way back to Lake M.
Old 09-01-2002, 02:08 PM

Jerry,

Looks like it is just me and you to date. For the record, I have started tying mine.

Hal
Old 09-02-2002, 08:56 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Hmmmmm

I tied up a few dozen this weekend. I'm trading 2 dozen spey flies for a reel I've been dying to get. At this rate, the 2 extra flies I tied will be fore the fly swap.
Old 09-03-2002, 09:24 AM

If its just me and you then lets each just tie one each of our favorite salmon flies for a total of ten ?
Old 09-03-2002, 04:05 PM

Thumbs up

Seeing as though I'm packing flies for Jerrys other swap I'll join this one as well and add some GPs.My favorite fly for this time of year.
Old 09-03-2002, 04:14 PM

Ashley,

Great we always like those international fly specimens to gain new knowledge from.

That makes 3 participants Jerry.

Hal
Old 09-10-2002, 12:22 AM
flyfishing catarafter

Hmmmmm

Looks like only three. How are we ever gonna work this one out? Interesting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.