Quonochontaug Access ??? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2002, 04:38 PM
_

Question Quonochontaug Access ???

Art (or anyone else who knows):

Where is the access to get to the outside end of the east side of the breachway? I've been there before but I can't remember which yard is the one you are supposed to cut through and I didn't want to go through the wrong yard.

Also, there used to be a place for 2 or 3 cars to park near the beach to the east of the breachway. Now it's marked with people's names, implying that they are private parking places. What's the deal there?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2002, 05:58 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Quonny has a big public lot on the east end... are you talking about the west side perhaps?
Old 08-20-2002, 06:57 PM
_

Nope. I know where the lot is, but there are houses between the lot and the outside portion of the breachway and you need to cut through one of the yards to get to the outer end. I was told that one of the properties has an easement that provides public access. I just don't remember which house it is. There was a big wooden pelican at the house (that's how I remembered it) but I didn't see it the last time I was there.

Q
Old 08-20-2002, 07:26 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Oh yeah, I stand corrected. I think I always just walked along the rocks past the big deep corner, don't remember having to cut thru but then again my brain is fried.

I have been thinking about a pool toy crossing to the west side myself. Every time I go out to the east jetty I snag the rocks and have to stand and watch the big blitzes on the west side beach - they really pound the bait into submission over in ArtB's honey hole. I haven't spent a lot of time there but the times I did go out there the activity looked excellent on the west side beach. Just inside on the same side of the inlet stripers always seem to stack up on the little cove on the inside across from the parking area on the flood.

I've had my best luck much further up inside during off hours. A yak would really open that territory up for exploration.
Old 08-20-2002, 08:05 PM
_

I didn't think you could walk along the rocks to get to the east side. Maybe the first time I was there I checked it at high tide and/or didn't have waders? Never checked it out again .

I too was eyeing the west side as I struggled to fish from the east side. Fish breaking and nobody over there to catch them!Guess that's another argument in favor of investing in a kayak.

Q
Old 08-20-2002, 09:15 PM

Eastside of Quonnie

Quentin, The problem on the eastside of Quonnie is that that parking area you mention there is no parking till after Labor Day.Park at the first parking area just after you hit the dirt road. Walk the wall along the breachway, just don't go on any private property, that wall is the breachway put in by the state. I don't know how come those abutting property owners think it belongs to them. I can understand the owners get upset when people leave their trash around. TL artb Excellent place for large fish, That corner on the way out has over the years produced more than one 50 lber.
Old 08-20-2002, 09:21 PM

Guys, I have told you just let me know, I can drive you right up to the westside of the breachway. Most of the guys from RIMS fish at night, and daybreak, they don't seem to bother too much with albies.:eyecrazy:
Old 08-20-2002, 10:02 PM
_

Thanks Art. I thought there was a place where you were allowed to cut through a yard if you walk back out of the parking lot and up the road a couple of houses. That's what someone told me when I went there a few years ago. Glad nobody came out with a shotgun or set their dogs on me!

Next time I plan to be down in RI I'll let you know and maybe we can fish together.

Q
Old 08-24-2002, 12:34 AM

When you 1st enter the quonny area there is a parking area on the left. This is where you can 1st see the breachway. If you park walk back up the road to the beach. You pass a couple of houses on the right that are on the breachway. Take a left down the dirt road and after 1 or 2 houses there is sand path bordered by a post fence, maybe 3 feet wide. This is a public right of way. It is even illgally posted by the beach association there "No trespassing". I have been approached twice while walking up the road in the past two years. I simply tell them to call the police... As long as you park in the state lot you are OK. As far as walking up the breachway wall itself, I heard it was state property also but, I seem to remember it being blocked off by traps or something??? This may also be illegal. If it isn't maybe I store my '79 Ford Pinto down there too!
Old 08-24-2002, 08:51 AM
_

Thanks Moron,

I do recall that the first part of the wall was blocked by lobster traps or something, and that the dirt road was marked "No Trespassing". I try to abide by the rules and avoid disturbing the people who have homes in the area, hence my reluctance to just walk through anyway.

What people apparently don't realize is that their efforts to keep people out only work against those of us who are considerate of other peoples rights and property. The signs (legitimate or not) are ignored by the people that the landowners are trying to keep out. In other words, they may succeed in keeping out the "good guys" but the "bad apples" still go through anyway.

Q
Old 08-24-2002, 12:41 PM
any fish, any time

this takes me back. Yes, the posted access point that Moron talks about is how I used to get to the East breachway point in a previous east coast life.

I also used to canoe across the pond and anchor on the west side, then fish where the pond meets the breachway by swinging flies around the bend. Here, a canoe works just as well as a yak for getting across. Just know your water, your canoe, and be careful to keep it angled into the current when crossing..

PS - seems that the big shad get pushed to the west side
Old 08-26-2002, 07:30 AM

Angry Public Access

If you go to Ken Abrams web site "stripermoon.com" and then go to his bulliten board page for Public Right of Way, there is a discussion on this. It seems there is a group of people possibly an association for Quonny residents that is blocking a Public Right of Way. From what the thread is saying, this is an illegal action, but it appears that the courts might have to settle this. If you read through the thread you will get the feeling of how private citizens are blocking Public Rights of Way for thier personal reasons, and deneying the public there given rights by the state.
By reading this board on occasion it appears this blocking of Public Right of Way's is happening more often, but little is being done about it because you would have to take these people, or more likely an association to court to uphold the "Right of Way"
law. Since these blocking of the Rights of Way are happening to individuals or small groups at any one time. There is no united group force to take them on. The more they get away with, the more we will loose IMOHO.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.