8/19 South Beach Report - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2002, 10:58 AM
_

Question 8/19 South Beach Report

I made a trip across the Canal with the intention of parking my butt on the Stone Pier in Woods Hole and waiting for my chance at bonito. Saw a few splashes (probably NOT bones) but didn't hook up. Another fly fisherman arrived an hour or so later and informed me that "the bones have moved on." Hmm . . . It had only been a few days since the first report that I'd heard that made it sound like they could possibly be caught from shore there. Nope. The other guy said, "they've been here since July 27." Guess nobody wanted to spill the beans (bones? :hehe: ).

Anyway, I decided to head out to Chatham to see if I could hop a shuttle to SB and try for some stripers. Caught the 11:00 shuttle and arrived at SB shortly after high tide. A fly fisherman there said he hadn't seen any fish at all and had been there for over an hour. Bummer. Oh well. I headed south to the flats where I've fished before, and had no sooner stepped into the water when I saw the first pod of stripers cruising along. Didn't even have my line out yet. They stayed close enough for me to get a cast, and a couple of them even followed my fly until they saw me and took off. Hmm . . . That's a good start! The conditions were absolutely perfect for sight fishing, and during the rest of the afternoon I saw dozens of fish of all sizes, some dark and some blonde. I had several follows, but couldn't buy a hit! They were definitely interested in the various flies that I was tossing at them, but they just would NOT hit . Frustrating but encouraging, since the last time I was there they wouldn't even follow . I couldn't see what they were eating, but there were loads of those chunky sand-colored baitfish around and I tried to match those. (What are they? Killies? Mummies?) I wondered if the fish were actually after crabs, but since they followed my baitfish patterns I stuck with those and worked on varying the presentation. That was probably my mistake. Should have worked on my crab presentations. I'll have to head out there again to give it another try. I only need a few more trips to fill my "frequent rider" card!

Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2002, 11:19 AM
Fly chucker

It sounds like the fish haven't changed their mood since the gang was there on Saturday. I'm still wondering if they're feeding on shrimp. Did you see any? They blend in very well with the bottom, so they can be tough to spot.
Old 08-20-2002, 12:34 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

You know, as much as we complain I LOVE this time of year! It makes those fish you do hook that much more of a triumph. Keep working at it, they can be had! Soon enough the fat fall runners will be slamming everything in sight and for those who work hard to unlock the zipperlips the memories of these hard won fish will be among the most treasured for the season when the snow falls again.
Old 08-20-2002, 12:43 PM
_

I looked for shrimp but didn't see any. Of course, that doesn't mean they weren't there. I did try a shrimp fly, partly for that reason and partly because it was almost the same color as the baitfish that I saw. Got a couple looks but no takers. I'm not quite sure what the proper "shrimp" presentation is. I casted ahead of the fish, let the fly sink, then gave a short twitch when the fish approached. The fish would look and turn away if I just twitched the fly and let it sit, and they would follow but not hit if kept moving the fly.

Q
Old 08-20-2002, 01:25 PM
_

Quote:
Originally posted by juro
You know, as much as we complain I LOVE this time of year! It makes those fish you do hook that much more of a triumph. Keep working at it, they can be had! Soon enough the fat fall runners will be slamming everything in sight and for those who work hard to unlock the zipperlips the memories of these hard won fish will be among the most treasured for the season when the snow falls again.
That may very well be true if I could hook them once in a while! I don't mind fishing all day and not catching anything. It's the long drive that gets me. That skunk can get pretty nasty on the way home!

Q
Old 08-20-2002, 01:27 PM

In the places that I saw stripers on NM Sat there were shrimp present. They were on the bottom and were the color of the sand. I did not see the bass eating them but it seemed every time I saw fish I was standing on a load of shrimp.
Old 08-20-2002, 02:40 PM

I think these fish are on the shrimp, too. The ones I saw last time out were tiny - much smaller than the patterns I've seen in local flyshops. I will be tying some translucent patterns on size 12 hooks and fishing them as a dropper this weekend.

If that doesn't work, it's back to the future with a 2/0 chartreuse half/half - they probably haven't seen one of those in a while :hehe:

Anyone else going to be around?

BigD
Old 08-20-2002, 09:01 PM
President of CAC

Big Dave... I will be there again and will use the shrimp...But I am switching to an 8 pound tippet.... heck...I may go down further....I may even try a 5X just to see if anything changes... If I can get a strike and even break off..it would answer some questions...but Juro is right ,things will change soon and they will be less selective.
Old 08-20-2002, 09:09 PM
_

Quote:
Originally posted by striblue
. . . I am switching to an 8 pound tippet.... heck...I may go down further....I may even try a 5X just to see if anything changes... If I can get a strike and even break off..it would answer some questions...
So maybe my 20# (fluoro) leader was the problem? I thought of that but didn't have any lighter line with me. DOH!
Old 08-20-2002, 09:12 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Yep, when the big ocean sand eels make the move into the inlets there will be cows to be had in the tidal current rips along the shore. It's not sight fishing but it's a time for huge bass on the fly.

Bayside fish have just been pouncing on the fly all summer! Need a yak though. Had my first Nantucket sleigh ride with JeffB last Saturday
Old 08-20-2002, 09:19 PM
President of CAC

Quen...I am not saying that's the answer but it sure is worth a try... I am just puzzelled that they look and turn... I have to think it's not the fly and maybe not even the retreve....maybe, just maybe they are spotting the tippet and line.......When you think it though I am certain all the guys fishing out at NM or SB are not thinking about the tippet... always thinking about everything else...the fly...the presentation...the retreve, etc....They all use 20 to 15 0r 16...maybe some are down to 12...but I think we need to get as invisible as possible... we shall see.

Last edited by striblue; 08-20-2002 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-21-2002, 06:13 AM

I am off to Canada this weekend but will try for these guys when I get back.
Small tippit size sounds good to me. Reminds me of fussy trout on*heavily fished waters. They take small flies of light tippets. When I fished for searuns in Falmouth years ago the fly that did it form me was a tan shrimp.
Fishhawk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.