Camera Advice Needed - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2002, 09:44 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Camera Advice Needed

Damn Juro...whoever took that picture in your avatar did one Hell of a excellent job!!!!! :hehe:

I would have to say it is a talent!!

Anyways...need some camera advice. What was that model you had with you this spring?? Sure took some amazing pictures!!!!

Dont know if I should dump the money into just a digi-cam or buy a SLR which will allow me to produce slides, etc. I am just tired of having so few recorded memories of my years spent streamside.

Anyone have any favorites that are fairly inexpensive???

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2002, 10:13 PM

Sparky, I just researched and purchased a digital. I used

http://digitalcameras.activebuyersgu...63A820D8919797

to perform the research based on my needs and then bought it through Amazon.com.

I ended up with the 2Megapixel Fuji 2600. Interestingly that was one which had been earlier reccomended to me by a fly fisher in WA. It came out on the top of my research protocol in two out of three scenarios beating cameras in the $500 to $700 range. The final price was $276.87 which includes a 128 MB SmartMedia card option and shipping.

Good luck

Crusty
Old 08-20-2002, 12:32 AM

Digital cameras

Fuji

Hi NrthFrk16

Havent been arround for a while but took a look today and noticed your looking at digital cameras. Just purchased a Fuji Fine Pix 2800 Next step up from the 2600 and has a 6x opitical zoom. Greate photos with all the things that were included with the 2600.

Take a look at Http:// www.digitalcamerabasics.com html and it will give you very good info on digitals along with for example photos from all there reviews

Regards

saltRon <*}}}}}><
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2002, 02:19 AM
Mod

Thanks for the links guys!!! Good to hear from ya Ron...hope all is well!!

The Active Buyers Guide link provides some excellent info...excellent link. I really liked the one that Ron provided for its simplistic and consice revies. Based upon that, the Cannon A20 looks to be an excellent choice.

Anyways...with the few links provided, I am seriously looking at a Minolta SLR. Minolta QTsi 35mm I would love the ease of use with a digicam so I can run home and post my hero photos...because everyone knows I am a hero. :hehe:

But for years, photography has been a hobby I have wanted to delve into and I think in a way you are limited with what you can do (for what you pay) with a digi cam. ...although it does seem that a digicam is so much more portable then a SLR...I am a minimalist and can not imagine my pack fitting a camera that big. I guess I should just by both. But then I was reading that unless you invest serious money...buying a basic SLR with the basic 35-80 zoom lense...you might as well buy a point and shoot which in the end would be packable. Thoughts???

Thanks!

Last edited by NrthFrk16; 08-20-2002 at 02:49 AM.
Old 08-20-2002, 06:12 AM

NrthFrk, Last fall I went through the same dilemma you're facing right now. I ended up getting a used Nikon N80 slr film camera with a 28-80 zoom lens. The camera is Nikon's middle of the road slr, it's either the bottom of their pro line, or the top of their consumer line, depeding on how you look at it.

The slr route certainly isn't the only way to go, especially if you're a minimalist. I have a waterproof pelican brand hard plastic case for the camera and I usually stuff that in a daypack and carry that around. The results are amazing and the camera gives you a lot of flexibility, as long as you can deal with lugging it around all the time. I recently got a 70-300mm telephoto zoom, and I'll probably end up with a couple more lenses before I'm through

That said, if you don't picture yourself owning more than the one lens you buy with your camera then you've lost the biggest attraction of an slr and you might do well to look at a 'prosumer' digital or even a nice point and shoot with a fairly fast lens. A number of the nicer digital cameras will allow you to control aperture and shutter speed as well as letting you do a whole host of other cool digital stuff.

Canon also makes a great little waterproof point and shoot 35 mm camera that is great for fishing, just toss it in your pocket and don't worry about it.

One major thing to keep in mind when making your decision is film and processing. If you shoot slides and get your film and processing in bulk you can usually get away with ~$8 a roll for 36 exposures developed. If you shoot a lot but only end up with a few real 'keeper' shots(like me) it doesn't take long for film costs to eat up what you saved by going with a film instead of digital camera.

I did quite a bit of research in the fall when I bought my camera, so feel free to pm me or post here if you have any more questions.

Edit: I forgot to add, if you do go with an slr you'd do well to go with either a Nikon or a Canon due to the number of lenses and accessories. Nikon vs Canon is a subject that could start a full fledged holy war on most photography sites, but you really can't go wrong with either of them.

Last edited by Mattb; 08-20-2002 at 06:15 AM.
Old 08-20-2002, 07:12 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Ryan, you missed your true calling in life... anyone who can salvage a photo with my ugly mug deserves acclaim! Luckily the fish was chrome to save the pic :hehe:

BTW - thanks a million for sending out the Shewey Spey/Dee book, it's absolutely kick-ass! I'll have to tie some inspirations for the possibility of a fall sortie with you PNW bad boyz on the OP.

The camera was either the Canon waterproof sport -or- the Canon A-40 digital. I picked up the A-40 for $249 on sale. It has only a 3x optical zoom and is a 2mb but upgraded the 8mb flash to 128 mb. It does movie clips, stitched panoramas, shutter speed adjustment from 15 seconds to a bazillionth of a second, and stuff I don't know how to use. You can buy a diving case good to 100 feet, but it costs more than the camera! I am happy with it, but have to tell you that when you look at the deal Crusty got it's old news. It seems each month a better deal comes out with digital technology.

Has anyone heard of a true waterproof digital? I heard rumor of one but can not find the model / make. That would be the best investment for fishermen like us IMHO.
Old 08-21-2002, 08:11 PM
CND The Spey Underground

Ryan,

While I am seriously considering a digital camera, I think my day in day out fishing camera will remain the Canon "Waterproof" Sport. It is light and safe for dunking - two primary considerations for me. I once had a fancy Pentax that I figured was the be-all, but I found myself just paranoid enough that I had to zip-lock it and as a result was often too lazy to to unwrap it and took very few fishing pictures with it. The little Canon changed that.

BTW, it is the camera that Dana normally carries on the river and I know that Juro and Doublespey carried them for years - they take great pictures.

A note on the "waterproof" version, when I bought mine my local camera shop was having a sale on the "water resistant" model. It was on for $100 (Northern Pesos) and the "waterproof" was $300. The store owner told me that the only difference between the two was that the "waterproof" one had been "tested". Both cameras came off the same assembly line and they grabbed every tenth one or so and dunked it - if it still worked - it was the "waterproof" model! I figured that I had to have horrible luck and dunk 3 non-tested ones with bad seals before I lost out so I took my chances with the water resistant one and saved $200. I'm pleased to report that it has survived 2 dunkings with no ill effects.

Still Living Large!
Old 08-22-2002, 06:24 AM

Ryan, if you do decided to go with a waterproof film camera stay away from the Minolta Weathermatic. It has a cool 'zoom' feature, but it's not very durable- mine is dead after only 2 years, and I've heard similar bad reports.

A friend has had the canon for years and it's still ticking. It also seems like the consensus here is that the canon is the way to go.

One thing to look for is the ability to turn the flash on manually to allow you to get good pics of people with hats on, it can really make a huge difference in your fishing pics.
Old 08-25-2002, 12:58 AM
Mod

Juro, Kush-
Is this the camera??

I am stuck in the middle of wanting an SLR and have one all picked out...the Minolta Maxxum 5 w/ a Minolta 28-80mm lense. It does some to be an awesome camera for the price.

I am worried that will drop the cash on this camera and end up not using it for its intended purpose...fish and fishing action photos and some scenic photos thrown in. I am worried that I will not want to haul it around with me which in the end will render it useless.

At the same time I would love to have a SLR because I would love to delve into photography...

I am thinking the Canon now since I dont know jack about photography the Minolta down the road. The Canon would be excellent for those days were I am putting alot of miles on my feet walking the rivers and the SLR would fit all other circumstances.
Old 08-28-2002, 02:07 AM
CND The Spey Underground

Ryan,

That isn't the camera I have, though it may just be a newer model. Mine is called the Canon Sure Shot WP-1, mine (and all the others I've seen) has a dark grey back, light grey front snd red grip and lens ring.

As for which camera, all I say is if it is fishing pictures you want get the waterproof - my Pentax is sitting in my closet and hasn't been out for at least 6 years! That is me though - I fish alot and photography to me is fishing!

Still Living Large!
Old 08-28-2002, 03:09 AM
Mod

Juro, Kush-
Thanks for the advice!!!!

Looked all around for the WP-1 but it is discontinued...you had me all sold on this camera so I decided to track one down. Found one for a very very good price...cheap enough where I can just go ahead and buy the SLR to complement it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.